Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Looking for a source for parts

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 09-13-21, 01:44 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts

I'm looking for an 4 pin 36V LCD display - new or used. All new stock are 5 pin, but my bike is an older 4 pin setup. I have been told there is no way to adapt a 5 pin to the older system. Anyone have info on a source or if the 5 pin can be made to work?

Many thanks!
Old 09-13-21, 02:56 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Look at electricbikereview / forums, and put in "four pin lcd connector; they solved the problem AFAICT.
Old 09-13-21, 03:48 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I''ve never seen one. I've owned three different brands of LCD;s. All are five pin. Power, Ground, Ignition, Transmit Data, Receive Data. And all three have different communication protocols, so they don't interchage, And on one brand, both of the two displays I had were even different.
Old 09-14-21, 01:16 PM
MNebiker

2old - Thanks for the input, will check it out! It will be interesting to see how they made the two different protocols communicate.

Doc - I bought an eBikeling conversion kit back in 2017. At the time I had the choice of an LED or LCD display. This was just an experiment to see if an ebike was a viable option for me, so I opted for the lower priced LED unit. It has worked OK, but it is apparent that the LCD is a better way to go. At the time their kits had 4 pin controllers so I assume that their displays were the same, but all their new stuff is 5 pin. A couple years ago I blew a MOSFET in the original controller - fortunately they still had a 4 pin unit laying around so I didn't have to replace both the display and controller. At that time I asked if they also had a 4 pin LCD left over, but they said they were all gone. In retrospect, I should have gone with new 5 pin units at that time. My LED unit got a bit beat up last year when I was forced into a bridge rail by a wandering walker, dumped the bike and broke two ribs. I probably should just make the upgrade and be done with it - but I thought there might be a 4 pin unit laying around on a dusty shelf somewhere.

Again - thanks for responses!

Last edited by MNebiker; 09-14-21 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-16-21, 01:32 PM
MNebiker

2old: Did some more digging into com protocols and the wiring of the 4 and 5 pin controllers and displays. The EBR forum said they would not interchange, which is obvious after checking the protocols. I didn't do enough homework!

Doc: I obviously made a wrong assumption that there were LCD displays that worked with a 4 pin controller. From what I can determine the vendor never had 4 pin LCD units, and apparently just supplied LED kits with a 4 pin controller and LCD kits with a 5 pin.
That means that I have been trying to locate a unicorn . . . .

If I want an LCD display the controller needs to be replaced also . My LED is beat up a bit but still works, and my toy budget is a little tight right now - - - but maybe if GM ever starts paying dividends again I'll upgrade.

Many thanks.