Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice on my tilting Brooks B17

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-21, 07:04 PM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts

Hello Brooks Saddle folks,

After two years on my B17, which I love, I’ve noticed that it’s wearing more on the left than on the right, causing me to be off balance when I ride. The asymmetry is clearly visible. I’ve confirmed that the rails aren’t bent and the saddle is mounted to the seat post level. I treat it regularly with proofide to keep it in good shape. I admit that I haven’t tightened the hide. To be honest, I’m afraid I’ll screw it up somehow.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Some photos of my B17

Update: Hi everyone. Thanks so SO much for all the replies, observations and suggestions. This is has been really helpful. Brooks is essentially telling me that this is normal and I should re-tension the seat. As a few have suggested, I think the left rail is actually a bit bent. Also, I believe I do have the seat a bit too high. Not sure what I'll do at this point. Clearly Brooks isn't interested in warranteeing the seat. I'm thinking of lowering the seat per Steve Hogg's website and see if that makes a difference in how it feels. It won't fix anything structurally, but maybe it will feel better.

Last edited by scotch; 10-05-21 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-03-21, 08:44 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
First and second photos make it look like it drops to the left from the rear. My own leather saddles show signs of asymmetry; very few bodies are flawless and saddle rails can bend. I'd take it apart to check more precisely, Good luck!
Old 10-03-21, 08:45 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Rails look tweeked to me.
Old 10-04-21, 06:43 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Re the gouge or two on mid seat, you didn't forget bike on car roof and drive into garage?
something looks tweaked to these eyes.

oh, and holy crap you guys south of us in NH really got snow early this year!
Old 10-04-21, 07:01 AM
djb

I would send these photos and perhaps more detailed ones directly to Brooks, they will give you more definite answers and possible options of what to do.
Old 10-04-21, 09:08 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by scotch

After two years on my B17, which I love, I’ve noticed that it’s wearing more on the left than on the right, causing me to be off balance when I ride. The asymmetry is clearly visible. I’ve confirmed that the rails aren’t bent and the saddle is mounted to the seat post level. I treat it regularly with proofide to keep it in good shape. I admit that I haven’t tightened the hide. To be honest, I’m afraid I’ll screw it up somehow.

Some photos of my B17
Check to see if the frame is broken. I broke one after about 20,000 miles. Firth and Wilson Transport Cycles can repair them

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-04-21, 12:34 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts

Some photos of my B17
I had the same problem. The reason mine did that, was what is usually to blame. My seat height was too high, causing me to drop to one side to compensate. I dropped to the right, causing to to wear more on that side. You look to be dropping to the left.

Check out Steve Hogg's website for his articles on setting seat height.

If you have truly confirmed your rails are not uneven, then it is most likely the seat height.
Old 10-04-21, 01:08 PM
scotch
purity of essence

Originally Posted by phughes
I had the same problem. The reason mine did that, was what is usually to blame. My seat height was too high, causing me to drop to one side to compensate. I dropped to the right, causing to to wear more on that side. You look to be dropping to the left.

Check out Steve Hogg's website for his articles on setting seat height.

If you have truly confirmed your rails are not uneven, then it is most likely the seat height.
Thanks so much for the suggestion of Steve Hogg’s website. That is a lot nfo on seat height. I look forward to delving into it
Likes For scotch:
Old 10-04-21, 04:00 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Also, if you're using clipless pedals, make sure the cleats are equidistant from your hips. It's easy to have one skootched a little forward of the other, or one leg might be longer.
Old 10-05-21, 06:41 AM
djb

Some photos of my B17
Going back to your first photo, with bike on car rack, as well as shot of it on table, the seat bag straps are clearly uneven, so it's not an uneven leather wear thing.
Add some new photos and send them to Brooks, asking them for specific photo details they may want to see, or measurements for you to make.... they are the pros and will have seen every issue around, and will have the best advice.

you say that according to you, things are not bent, but the photos seem to be very clear that part of the frame isn't level.

you buy this new or used?
Old 10-05-21, 06:55 AM
scotch
purity of essence

Originally Posted by djb
Going back to your first photo, with bike on car rack, as well as shot of it on table, the seat bag straps are clearly uneven, so it's not an uneven leather wear thing.
Add some new photos and send them to Brooks, asking them for specific photo details they may want to see, or measurements for you to make.... they are the pros and will have seen every issue around, and will have the best advice.

you say that according to you, things are not bent, but the photos seem to be very clear that part of the frame isn't level.

you buy this new or used?
Thanks so much for your feedback and observations, especially about the seat straps.

I bought it new in 2017. I emailed Brooks, including photos. Their response is below:

It is normal for the saddle to react differently on one side - this is all part of the leather adapting to the rider and often the rider will exert more power/pressure through one leg over the other.

Re-tensioning the saddle will help to prevent the difference from becoming too extreme

However, it is important to be sure that only the nut is turning - the pin itself should not turn - and so moves down the pin; if the tension has dropped by too much, the the "lock" that stops the pin from turning will not work and you will then need to hold the pin still manually
Old 10-05-21, 07:20 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Thanks so much for your feedback and observations, especially about the seat straps.

I bought it new in 2017. I emailed Brooks, including photos. Their response is below:

It is normal for the saddle to react differently on one side - this is all part of the leather adapting to the rider and often the rider will exert more power/pressure through one leg over the other.

Re-tensioning the saddle will help to prevent the difference from becoming too extreme

However, it is important to be sure that only the nut is turning - the pin itself should not turn - and so moves down the pin; if the tension has dropped by too much, the the "lock" that stops the pin from turning will not work and you will then need to hold the pin still manually
I am skeptical of their reply. The frame looks twisted to me. It looks like something is bent or broken. I set it on a dead flat surface and support the nose so that it isn't resting on the leather sides. Then you can accurately measure the height of the frame on both sides at various points and compare for differences. I bet you will find that the heights are mismatched significantly, but I could be wrong. It really looks like there is probably a downward bend in the left rail behind the seatpost clamp. I have had other non brooks saddles crack at the clamp and show similar sagging, but a bend without a crack can cause it as well. In my case this was on MTBs where I was doing a lot of rough single track riding, but it can happen in other usage. Either way there is no harm in checking.
Old 10-05-21, 07:33 AM
scotch
purity of essence

Originally Posted by djb
Re the gouge or two on mid seat, you didn't forget bike on car roof and drive into garage?
something looks tweaked to these eyes.

oh, and holy crap you guys south of us in NH really got snow early this year!
HA! That was taken last May, the day I took the seat off the bike with the intention of figuring out what was going on with it.
Old 10-05-21, 07:35 AM
scotch
purity of essence

Thanks so much for those photos. I just checked and the frame looks good.
Old 10-05-21, 08:10 AM
djb

I too could be wrong on the uneveness, but although I have more than one b17, I'd rather not remove one to do a comparison photo for you because once the seat position is ideal, I don't like having to take the time to trial and error it right again putting it back on.

But you should be able to do some careful measurements, and maybe compare them to someone else's b17?
Good luck
Ps, I've very rarely had to tighten the bolts on my Brooks, but I'm lightweight, and ride light in general
Old 10-10-21, 10:49 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I bought a new Brooks about four years ago. Mine was a sprung model (Conquest) and one of the springs was measurably longer than the other. The dealer was happy to replace it when I sent him a photo, but I never mounted that on a bike. Replaced it within a week after I bought it.