Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trek 520 kickstand?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Trek 520 kickstand?

Old 10-18-21, 05:17 PM
HendersonD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Trek 520 kickstand?

I just purchased a new Trek 520 that I will be picking up in a few weeks. I will be using this bike on a coast to coast trip next year on the Transamerica route. I am thinking about equipping the bike with a kickstand. After a little research these seem to be popular stands:
Greenfield single sided
Pletscher one or two legged kickstands
Clickstand

Any recommendations? I am leaning towards the a two legged stand like the Pletscher but not even sure this can be fitted to a Trek 520
Old 10-18-21, 06:22 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
You'll need adequate space between the BB shell and the chainstay bridge for a conventional center-mount and for the double-legged. I use both of those and the rear mount on different bikes. I've used a center-mount on tour with rear panniers and a handlebar bag. Last tour I began with the rear mount but with four panniers there was too much weight oddly distributed for the rear-mount so I switched to the double-legged center-mount. That still needed a bungee to help keep the front wheel centered when parked.

Random 'net 520 photo shows what looks like adequate space for the double but a current owner can probably chime in with confirmation.

Last edited by thumpism; 10-18-21 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-19-21, 08:01 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
I've got the Greenfield rear-mount stand and enjoy it.

You'd want to check to see if that could be mounted around your rear disc brake, if that's what your bike is equipped with.
Old 10-19-21, 07:16 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I love my Clickstand for my 520.