Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Poll: What new dream/grail Huffy for the next indignity in the cycling world?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: What dream/grail Huffy for the next visionary, time-wasting project?
Sante Fe
7
21.21%
Aerowind
26
78.79%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: What new dream/grail Huffy for the next indignity in the cycling world?

Old 06-08-23, 12:29 PM
  #26  
Hondo6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: SW Florida, USA
Posts: 1,249

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
What kind of weird front brake is on that Aerowind?
Shimano BR-AD20, from the Adamas AX groupset - I think. Here's the Velobase link to them:

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...d1ecc&Enum=117

Break Brake reach was apparently adjusted by moving the entire caliper up or down using a slot in a mounting bracket that was part of the caliper. The brake's mounting bolt fit thru the slot. See rear picture of caliper at link above.

Last edited by Hondo6; 06-08-23 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Correctly spelled but wrong word typo
Hondo6 is offline  
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 06-08-23, 12:30 PM
  #27  
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly
 
Germany_chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Near the district
Posts: 2,424

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 642 Posts
I know the C&V set thought you old Campy on old Huffy was interesting and sacrilege so let’s up the game a bit.

Find yourself a Serotta built Huffy and put actual huffy parts minus the Ashtabula crane on it.

Cool bike with uncool parts vs your existing uncool bike with uncool parts
Germany_chris is offline  
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 06-08-23, 12:30 PM
  #28  
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister
Thread Starter
 
AdventureManCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Le Grande HQ
Posts: 2,586

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 3,305 Times in 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
The Aerowind may have an ovalized seat tube. I've never examined one, so dunno for sure.

If so, replacing the FD with something lighter/more modern may not be easy.

Also, at least some Aerowinds were originally equipped with Shimano's Adamas AX components. Velobase appears to indicate that at least some (maybe all) Adamas AX cranksets used a FFS and/or Selectra-type bottom bracket. I believe those require a special tool to remove.

Just pointing out possible complicating factors associated with using the Aerowind frame as a basis. The Santa Fe could prove far less painful if used as the base frame.

IMO seeing either decked out in modern CF components and coming in well under 25lbs would be a hoot.
Yes, that was a thought as well (challenges with the A-W) but but I am better acclimated to ridiculous, unbelievably dumb incompatibilities now, so we’d figure it out. We are also going to go way more extreme on this build. Way more. If the crunched tubing gets in the way of a FD, I’ll burn a braze-on FD mount. I will also do the same with DT shift mounts if necessary. Fixing the BB shell on the Huffente gave me way too much overconfidence and we will bring putting that to good use, at least as long as it lasts.I also need more brazing practice before I’m forced to tackle my dumb Paramount, so there’s that.

Oh, and 25lb? Think less, think way less
__________________
There were 135 Confentes, but only one...Huffente!









AdventureManCO is offline  
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 06-08-23, 12:33 PM
  #29  
phughes
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,011
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 1,218 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Dear BF,

Now that the Huffente Le Grandepagnolo project/goal has wrapped up or is at least winding down, it's time to start thinking of a new desecration vision for the next dream Huffy build.

If you don't know what I'm referencing, a link to the thread should help with some context...












We started at 36.4lbs and ended at 23.4lbs in what many would consider a complete waste of good Campy Super Record.

There were many trials and tribulations, and many lessons learned, so now we are ready to take that experience and put it towards the next project!

The Le Grande build was a lot of fun (actually it was almost pure frustration), so I'm excited about a new Huffy, and a new vision. The previous vision was simple: el cheapo garbage Huffy + Campy Super Record. Can it be done? Yes! Should it be done? Err...

This time, were taking some of those barriers and limitations off, and aiming for the moon (or at least a nearby asteroid).

I need you help to deterimine the base for such a ridiculous, nonsensical project.

I have a simple question for you:

Santa Fe or Aerowind ?

Which one evokes a stronger emotion, or more memores, for you? The Le Grande was fun, but it was a little obscure. We want to go with something a little more warm and familiar to begin our next heresy. Something comforting, you know?

So, which would you choose, and why? You answer doesn't have to make sense. Actually, the less sense it makes, the better. I have no particular favorite, so I'm asking our esteemed BF members if they have a preference for which they would like to see me waste yet more of my life on.

Photos of each potential project bike to come in the next post...
Okay, when I saw the thread title, I was ready to relegate this to the usual garbage threads that are getting so frequent in General Cycling, then putting you on ignore. I did look at the thread though so as to not judge a book by its cover. I always try to give the benefit of the doubt. Glad I did. Good thread and project. Great job on the Le Grande! I voted for the Aerowind, though the Santa Fe was probably more common, so that may fit your idea better. I'll be anxiously awaiting the project.
phughes is offline  
Old 06-08-23, 12:41 PM
  #30  
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister
Thread Starter
 
AdventureManCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Le Grande HQ
Posts: 2,586

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 3,305 Times in 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I know the C&V set thought you old Campy on old Huffy was interesting and sacrilege so let’s up the game a bit.

Find yourself a Serotta built Huffy and put actual huffy parts minus the Ashtabula crane on it.

Cool bike with uncool parts vs your existing uncool bike with uncool parts
Haha I love this, well it’s not a bad idea but Serotta built Huffy’s are a little obscure (and a little boring to me), so if we really wanted to be offensive, I’d rather do something like this to a Paramount (which I have), but people would really lose their minds if I found an old Singer or Herse and decked it out in garbage.

Regarding the uncool Campy parts, before this build I have very little exposure to them. I really like the FD…it looks good, feels good, and comes apart for cleaning really easily. The steel clamping stuff, the boat anchor QRs, BB spindle, headset I could live without. Still it all goes together and I've come to accept it for what it is. The new build won’t have the restrictions that the old one did.

Apart from those, a fine old Italian steed could also work.

But, another project for another day. I’ve got a laser focus on this one, and we are getting close to having it settled.
__________________
There were 135 Confentes, but only one...Huffente!









AdventureManCO is offline  
Old 06-08-23, 12:44 PM
  #31  
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister
Thread Starter
 
AdventureManCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Le Grande HQ
Posts: 2,586

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 3,305 Times in 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Okay, when I saw the thread title, I was ready to relegate this to the usual garbage threads that are getting so frequent in General Cycling, then putting you on ignore. I did look at the thread though so as to not judge a book by its cover. I always try to give the benefit of the doubt. Glad I did. Good thread and project. Great job on the Le Grande! I voted for the Aerowind, though the Santa Fe was probably more common, so that may fit your idea better. I'll be anxiously awaiting the project.
Please still keep the ‘ignore’ button at the ready, you still may need it for what’s to come


Amazingly, the Le Grande actually rides great, and did fabulous on the muddy 30+ mile gauntlet I ran it through last weekend. It impressed me enough to do another whole garbage build, which is really saying something, for how unbelievably frustrating the build was at times.
AdventureManCO is offline  
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 06-08-23, 12:45 PM
  #32  
squirtdad
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 9,791

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2279 Post(s)
Liked 2,680 Times in 1,469 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Good visions. I will probably end up with both one day anyway, but I have a very specific build vision for the next project, and quite possibly more disconcerting than the first
Be afraid, be very afraid
__________________
Life is too short not to ride the best bike you have, as much as you can
(looking for Torpado Super light frame/fork or for Raleigh International frame fork 58cm)



squirtdad is offline  
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-08-23, 12:45 PM
  #33  
Hondo6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: SW Florida, USA
Posts: 1,249

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Oh, and 25lb? Think less, think way less
Hey! I said ". . . coming in well under 25lbs" above!
Hondo6 is offline  
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 06-08-23, 12:47 PM
  #34  
smd4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 5,379

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3258 Post(s)
Liked 2,677 Times in 1,624 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Shimano BR-AD20, from the Adamas AX groupset - I think. Here's the Velobase link to them:

Break reach was apparently adjusted by moving the entire caliper up or down using a slot in a mounting bracket that was part of the caliper.
There's some ingenuity!
smd4 is offline  
Old 06-08-23, 12:49 PM
  #35  
phughes
Senior Member
 
phughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,011
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 1,218 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Please still keep the ‘ignore’ button at the ready, you still may need it for what’s to come


Amazingly, the Le Grande actually rides great, and did fabulous on the muddy 30+ mile gauntlet I ran it through last weekend. It impressed me enough to do another whole garbage build, which is really saying something, for how unbelievably frustrating the build was at times.
It really looks like a nice bike. I don't doubt it rides well.
phughes is offline  
Old 06-08-23, 12:49 PM
  #36  
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,613

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
Yeah, they are available for a fraction of the price elsewhere, I just love how serious the ad is, with 16 pictures and full specs included
$185 if you can get to Akron, complete with owner's manual!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15558797965...MAAOSwCSJkc~nN
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-08-23, 12:54 PM
  #37  
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister
Thread Starter
 
AdventureManCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Le Grande HQ
Posts: 2,586

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 3,305 Times in 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
…being a confirmed Free Spirit man,.

Lol, I just now caught this!


You, sir, are an artist.
__________________
There were 135 Confentes, but only one...Huffente!









AdventureManCO is offline  
Old 06-08-23, 12:55 PM
  #38  
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,613

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Haha I love this, well it’s not a bad idea but Serotta built Huffy’s are a little obscure (and a little boring to me), so if we really wanted to be offensive, I’d rather do something like this to a Paramount (which I have), but people would really lose their minds if I found an old Singer or Herse and decked it out in garbage.

Regarding the uncool Campy parts, before this build I have very little exposure to them. I really like the FD…it looks good, feels good, and comes apart for cleaning really easily. The steel clamping stuff, the boat anchor QRs, BB spindle, headset I could live without. Still it all goes together and I've come to accept it for what it is. The new build won’t have the restrictions that the old one did.

Apart from those, a fine old Italian steed could also work.

But, another project for another day. I’ve got a laser focus on this one, and we are getting close to having it settled.

I think if you want to do a proper 7/11 Team tribute bike, the better approach might be to come up with a beautiful frame with excellent components and just slap it with a Huffy decal.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-08-23, 12:56 PM
  #39  
Fahrenheit531 
52psi
 
Fahrenheit531's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,123

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 791 Times in 384 Posts
None. Once is funny and awesome, a second example will be gratuitous and not live up to the standard set by the original.
__________________
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Fahrenheit531 is offline  
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 06-08-23, 01:00 PM
  #40  
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister
Thread Starter
 
AdventureManCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Le Grande HQ
Posts: 2,586

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 3,305 Times in 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
$185 if you can get to Akron, complete with owner's manual!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15558797965...MAAOSwCSJkc~nN
I did a search yesterday on ‘SearchTempest’ and it turned up about 3 of them, including an unusual burgundy one (looked like original paint).

I don’t know if Huffy ever made a 24” version, but they definitely made both a 26” (wheeled) version as well as a full-sized 27”. You can tell by the dropouts. The 26”er has the typical crunched stays at
the dropouts, whereas the larger full size edition has the dropouts with the individual braze points on them.

Honestly I don’t know which Id prefer. The 26” version may be lighter. But I might run into BB height issues if I take that frame and stick 700c wheels on it. I DO have a 26” Huffy frame in the garage that I can experiment with and compare measurements and sizing.
AdventureManCO is offline  
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 06-08-23, 01:02 PM
  #41  
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister
Thread Starter
 
AdventureManCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Le Grande HQ
Posts: 2,586

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 3,305 Times in 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
None. Once is funny and awesome, a second example will be gratuitous and not live up to the standard set by the original.
Even one was one too many.

But cheap thrills.
__________________
There were 135 Confentes, but only one...Huffente!









AdventureManCO is offline  
Old 06-08-23, 01:17 PM
  #42  
SoCaled 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,062

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked 3,323 Times in 1,662 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
I did a search yesterday on ‘SearchTempest’ and it turned up about 3 of them, including an unusual burgundy one (looked like original paint).

I don’t know if Huffy ever made a 24” version, but they definitely made both a 26” (wheeled) version as well as a full-sized 27”. You can tell by the dropouts. The 26”er has the typical crunched stays at
the dropouts, whereas the larger full size edition has the dropouts with the individual braze points on them.

Honestly I don’t know which Id prefer. The 26” version may be lighter. But I might run into BB height issues if I take that frame and stick 700c wheels on it. I DO have a 26” Huffy frame in the garage that I can experiment with and compare measurements and sizing.
What about the mixte?
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/b...628628561.html

SoCaled is offline  
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 06-08-23, 02:23 PM
  #43  
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,613

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
None. Once is funny and awesome, a second example will be gratuitous and not live up to the standard set by the original.
No way, at least a dozen.
Think of the peloton!
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-08-23, 03:13 PM
  #44  
Hondo6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: SW Florida, USA
Posts: 1,249

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
A mixte build would be awesome as hell; personally, I'd love to see it.

But unfortunately mixte frames tend to be heavier than standard frames of the same size. I think that would go "against the grain" with respect to what I understand that AMCO's planning to do here (e.g., a serious "weight weenie" build based on a Huffy frame).
Hondo6 is offline  
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 06-08-23, 06:27 PM
  #45  
nomadmax 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,403
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1,810 Times in 872 Posts
What about the Huffy Scout? Those were thick in Ohio.
__________________
nomadmax is offline  
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 06-09-23, 11:27 AM
  #46  
Robvolz 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 1,842

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked 1,618 Times in 602 Posts
I need to see how the Aerowind shift levers attach to the side of the frame. Are the brazed-on posts on the headset? How "aero" is that?
__________________
"Leave the gun. Take the Colnagos."
Robvolz is offline  
Likes For Robvolz:
Old 06-09-23, 11:33 AM
  #47  
campfire
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Which one evokes a stronger emotion, or more memores, for you?
Definitely the Aerowind. I grew up with a pair of these, so they bring happy memories to mind.

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
So, which would you choose, and why? You answer doesn't have to make sense. Actually, the less sense it makes, the better.
Still the Aerowind. The flattened seat tube and...ahem...*unique*...brakes are much more noticeable than what the Santa Fe has to offer.
campfire is offline  
Likes For campfire:
Old 06-09-23, 11:51 AM
  #48  
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 15,613

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by campfire
Still the Aerowind. The flattened seat tube and...ahem...*unique*...brakes are much more noticeable than what the Santa Fe has to offer.
But given the project, the brakes would have to be the first thing to go. In all their glorious horror:


livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-09-23, 01:35 PM
  #49  
Hondo6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: SW Florida, USA
Posts: 1,249

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
I need to see how the Aerowind shift levers attach to the side of the frame. Are the brazed-on posts on the headset? How "aero" is that?
Shimano made a top-tube mount version of the Adamas AX shifters - the SL-AD24. The side-view of the Aerowind in the OP's 2nd post above seems to show a clamp of some sort nestled up against the headtube; I'd guess that's the clamp for that particular shifter variant.

Unfortunately, the photo of the SL-AD24 in the Velobase link is quite poor - too poor to tell if that's it or not. And I guess it's possible Huffy put mounting bosses on the headtube and used the downtube boss-mount versions there instead.

Edited to add: found a better picture of the SL-AD24 at Mike Sweatman's Disraeli Gears site:

https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site...-_page_33.html

Not sure the clamp shown there matches up with the one on the Aerowind side view photo above, but can't tell for sure.

Last edited by Hondo6; 06-09-23 at 01:41 PM.
Hondo6 is offline  
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 06-09-23, 03:27 PM
  #50  
SoCaled 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,062

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked 3,323 Times in 1,662 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
I need to see how the Aerowind shift levers attach to the side of the frame. Are the brazed-on posts on the headset? How "aero" is that?
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Shimano made a top-tube mount version of the Adamas AX shifters - the SL-AD24. The side-view of the Aerowind in the OP's 2nd post above seems to show a clamp of some sort nestled up against the headtube; I'd guess that's the clamp for that particular shifter variant.

Unfortunately, the photo of the SL-AD24 in the Velobase link is quite poor - too poor to tell if that's it or not. And I guess it's possible Huffy put mounting bosses on the headtube and used the downtube boss-mount versions there instead.

Edited to add: found a better picture of the SL-AD24 at Mike Sweatman's Disraeli Gears site:

https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site...-_page_33.html

Not sure the clamp shown there matches up with the one on the Aerowind side view photo above, but can't tell for sure.

Here is a link with 16 good reference pics of an Aerowind -
https://budgetbicyclectr.com/1982-hu...ycle-58cm.html


Last edited by SoCaled; 06-09-23 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Added link & made more clear
SoCaled is offline  
Likes For SoCaled:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.