Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is a hybrid a hybrid of?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is a hybrid a hybrid of?

Old 11-30-22, 08:14 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Majority of bike users around the world do it as a hobby, they ride for fitness and recreation, commuting and for fun. The ones who ride for sport or performance and the ones who ride out of necessity are both in a minority
I'm sure that millions of people in China, India, Egypt, and even the Netherlands would strongly disagree.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 11-30-22, 09:09 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
OMG will the bickering and “I’m right”, “No, I’m right” over inconsequential nothingness ever end? I’ve seen better behaved school children.

Old 11-30-22, 09:23 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Originally Posted by t2p
Can't we all just get along ... lol
Originally Posted by rsbob
OMG will the bickering and “I’m right”, “No, I’m right” over inconsequential nothingness ever end? I’ve seen better behaved school children.

Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 12-01-22, 03:32 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
It sounds to me like you're saying that hybrids and serious riding are mutually exclusive. And yet your remark about hybrid bikes being the worst choice of bike would imply that you've been spending a lot of time riding a lot of hybrids. You must take your cycling very seriously, then.
Not at all. I'm saying that to the self determined "serious cyclist", hybrids are somehow not serious, and the worst choice for most cases. The worst choice thing is sort of fair - a proper mountain bike is better off road, and a proper road bike is better on the road, but a hybrid will be better off road than a road bike and better on the road than a mountain bike.

Our local cycling org ride leader switches between a road bike and hybrid based on the ride length, and he certainly racks up more miles than I do in my car.
Old 12-01-22, 04:53 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by Herzlos
Not at all. I'm saying that to the self determined "serious cyclist", hybrids are somehow not serious, and the worst choice for most cases. The worst choice thing is sort of fair - a proper mountain bike is better off road, and a proper road bike is better on the road, but a hybrid will be better off road than a road bike and better on the road than a mountain bike.

Our local cycling org ride leader switches between a road bike and hybrid based on the ride length, and he certainly racks up more miles than I do in my car.
Exactly (or roughly should be good enough) how much experience riding hybrids of any kind would you claim to have had? I'm asking because for you to say that "hybrids are somehow not serious, and the worst choice for most cases" is making assumptions about a lot of riders you don't know, never met, and know nothing about. Has it occurred to you that there are millions of riders of hybrids who ride them because they are serious about their own particular type of riding, and that the hybrids they ride are the best choice for them in most cases?
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 12-01-22, 05:56 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
It doesn't end, but some adjustment helps
Likes For fishboat:
Old 12-01-22, 05:59 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

I'm flattered.
Old 12-01-22, 06:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Despite what the detractors might have you believe, fitness bikes are not flat-bar road bikes. Far from it, actually. Since you brought up the FX, Trek had an actual flat-bar road bike range in their lineup - the short-lived Zektor, as it was called - back when the general thinking in the industry was that the flat-bar road bike was going to be the next bike thing (turned out it was so-called "gravel" bikes that were the next big thing.) Despite the fact that the both feature flat handlebars, the Zektor and the FX were very different bikes.

I'm absolutely not a FX detractor, quite the opposite, and the one I had was used very effectively as a flat bar road bike. I really don't care that it wasn't being marketed as such.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-01-22, 06:04 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,355 Times in 2,034 Posts
So, new around here?
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-01-22, 06:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Two things and I'm probably out:

This conversation just shows how stupid it is to try to classify cyclists as serious and non-serious. To be honest, substituting the word "mediocre" is even worse. Y'all are doing a whole bunch of No True Scotsman stuff here and there's no way to do it without sounding like a snob because, basically, it's snobbery.

Second, I find it hilarious when people will say something about how bad a category of bike is and then accuse people who defend their use of the particular kind of bike of trolling or being argumentative. When you post an attack on a category of bikes, you are quite clearly telling people that like the category that they are wrong. Don't do that if you don't want an argument.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-01-22, 07:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Funny. This morning I was listening to a morning radio show. The hosts talked for a bit about how Luis Guzman says he is constantly mistaken for the actor who played Willie Lopez in "Ghost."
Old 12-01-22, 07:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
So, new around here?
Old 12-01-22, 11:10 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Liked 7,819 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm absolutely not a FX detractor, quite the opposite, and the one I had was used very effectively as a flat bar road bike. I really don't care that it wasn't being marketed as such.
It appears to me that Trek is marketing the FX as a flat bar road bike...for serious riders!! LOL

"FX Sport 6 is the lightest and fastest fitness bike in the lineup. It has every performance feature of a high-end road bike, with the added benefit of a flat handlebar for additional comfort and control. A lightweight 400 Series OCLV Carbon frame, a high-quality Shimano drivetrain, and Bontrager carbon wheels make it the best choice for serious fitness riders with serious goals."

I have come to a better understanding of this specific variation of bicycle, and the kind of riders it makes sense for, thanks to this discussion.
Old 12-01-22, 11:18 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

/thread.

Tacos, everyone?

Last edited by sjanzeir; 12-01-22 at 11:21 AM.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 12-01-22, 12:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
So, new around here?
apparently.

Old 12-01-22, 01:10 PM
rje58_too

Bikes: 2019 Trek FX2; 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0; 1997 Trek 830 (converted to hybrid); 1992 Trek 800 Antelope

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 273 Posts
This conversation just shows how stupid it is to try to classify cyclists as serious and non-serious. To be honest, substituting the word "mediocre" is even worse. Y'all are doing a whole bunch of No True Scotsman stuff here and there's no way to do it without sounding like a snob because, basically, it's snobbery.
Well said!

Second, I find it hilarious when people will say something about how bad a category of bike is and then accuse people who defend their use of the particular kind of bike of trolling or being argumentative. When you post an attack on a category of bikes, you are quite clearly telling people that like the category that they are wrong. Don't do that if you don't want an argument.
Agreed, except that they aren't necessarily telling people they're wrong. They could just as easily be saying "you're stupid" or "you're not a cyclist, you're a poser, so go back to walking, or better yet, crawling, and leave the bicycles to us REAL cyclists!"
Likes For rje58_too:
Old 12-01-22, 02:54 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Liked 7,819 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
The worst choice thing is sort of fair - a proper mountain bike is better off road, and a proper road bike is better on the road, but a hybrid will be better off road than a road bike and better on the road than a mountain bike.
Is it fair? You just described my gravel bike - which is really just another variation of a hybrid. Yet, that "worst choice" has turned out to be the best choice for routes that combine a wide range of surfaces. On many dirt fireroad climbs, it's a better choice than my MTB. For rough pavement descents, it's a better choice than my road bike. I wouldn't pick it for fast group road rides, or for technical rocky singletrack, but I have been pretty impressed by how well it handles the wide range between the extremes, and it has opened up ride route options that I wouldn't do on my other bikes.

That said, I understand that your intent is probably more about the bikes I previously referred to as "mediocre".

Last edited by Eric F; 12-01-22 at 03:29 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 12-01-22, 03:14 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 429 Posts
A rose by any other name....... Don't have any idea how this pertains to the original ?, but the way the topic is progressing, it will probably stir something up
Old 12-01-22, 03:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by freeranger
A rose by any other name....... Don't have any idea how this pertains to the original ?, but the way the topic is progressing, it will probably stir something up
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_tea_rose
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-01-22, 03:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rje58_too
Agreed, except that they aren't necessarily telling people they're wrong. They could just as easily be saying "you're stupid" or "you're not a cyclist, you're a poser, so go back to walking, or better yet, crawling, and leave the bicycles to us REAL cyclists!"
While "you're wrong" is argumentative enough, I don't think it's the equivalent of calling someone stupid or any of the other insults you're imagining here.
Old 12-01-22, 03:56 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Is it fair? You just described my gravel bike - which is really just another variation of a hybrid. Yet, that "worst choice" has turned out to be the best choice for routes that combine a wide range of surfaces. On many dirt fireroad climbs, it's a better choice than my MTB. For rough pavement descents, it's a better choice than my road bike. I wouldn't pick it for fast group road rides, or for technical rocky singletrack, but I have been pretty impressed by how well it handles the wide range between the extremes, and it has opened up ride route options that I wouldn't do on my other bikes.
Sure, there are exceptions to the rule.

I have 3 bikes:
A 29" hardtail mountain bike, which I use on proper trails, mud, etc.
A 700x28c road bike, which I use on good roads when it's dry, and
a 700x45c gravel bike, which I use for everything else.

Because of the weight difference, the gravel bike is better than the mountain bike on easy trails and paths, etc, and because of the wider tyres and D-Fuse trickery the gravel bike is better than the road bike on really rough roads.
But I'd never use the gravel bike on a red mountain bike trail, or on a long fast road ride.

That said, I understand that your intent is probably more about the bikes I previously referred to as "mediocre".
Not at all. My intent is actually the opposite (I don't know if I'm wording it badly). A style of bike doesn't have any relation to the quality of the bike or rider - there are hybrid bikes that are better specced than my road bike, and there are many many better cyclists on a hybrid than I am on my road bike.

My point was that the people who regard themselves as serious cyclists (not me, I'm a fat guy on a bike) seem to look down on hybrids as inferior for whatever reason. To people who aren't serious cyclists (or are limited in space/money) then a hybrid bike is a decent all round bike. I've almost always had one in my garage, though it's not a gravel bike rather than a traditional flat bar hybrid.

Last edited by Herzlos; 12-01-22 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-01-22, 04:28 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,440 Posts
This thread has run its course. Closing before the insults start.
Likes For StanSeven: