Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Difficulty finding replacement handlepost

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 09-04-21, 08:47 AM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts

Hello everyone. A few weeks ago I bought a 2007 Dahon Speed and began getting it back in working condition. I m now in the process of replacing the old handlepost which doesn t feel as stable as when I tried a new Tern. I ve decided to change the handle post for a non adjustable version (40 42 cm) but I m having a hard time finding a replacement. My search came up with brands like litepro, Fnhon but how do I know they will fit? Can I install a left of right folding post?Also, the sellers are in asia and most show no stock (I m in Montreal Canada) Which one is trustworthy? Does someone have a suggestion of a vendor (Thor doesn t have stock either)? Thank you for your help.
Old 09-07-21, 10:32 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Litepro and Fnhon are well-respected brands making Dahon-compatible parts. Because most of the Asian sites don't offer Paypal payment, I get my stuff through Ebay instead. The ads there often will have photos with measurements. You can compare those measurements to what you have. You can install either left or right-folding handleposts. I prefer left-folding.
Old 09-09-21, 10:11 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I think you have a 1 1/8" threaded stem, any folding 1 1/8" threaded stem should work.

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 09-09-21, 06:53 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Thanks for your help everyone. I found one on ebay and ordered it. I hope it works out…
Old 09-09-21, 07:00 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Does anyone know of an outside folding handlepost stem?
Old 09-10-21, 09:23 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
I've got one that I'd like to sell.

One-piece Litepro, T-shape, black, measures 246mm in the front from where the fold happens to the middle of the cross-tube (where you clamp a double-stem). Installed once with a double-stem but never actually ridden. Bought it new from Thor for like $70. Will sell for half that, plus shipping. Needs a home because I prefer ones that fold the opposite way.
Old 09-11-21, 06:52 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Nyah
I've got one that I'd like to sell.

One-piece Litepro, T-shape, black, measures 246mm in the front from where the fold happens to the middle of the cross-tube (where you clamp a double-stem). Installed once with a double-stem but never actually ridden. Bought it new from Thor for like $70. Will sell for half that, plus shipping. Needs a home because I prefer ones that fold the opposite way.
Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I'd need to purchase an aber halo as well. Would you happen to have a link to a standard outside folding stem?
Old 09-18-21, 02:00 PM
jfouellette

Hi, ordered a handlepost and it arrived. I installed it per instructions. Looks good, less flex . I'll post pictures latter of my setup. Fixed handpost with quick r, halo extension, riser handle bar.
Old 09-19-21, 09:05 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
A few weeks ago I bought a 2007 Dahon Speed ... which doesn't feel as stable as when I tried a new Tern.
The handlepost of a Dahon of that vintage won't feel as stable as a new Tern. The Tern handlepost assembly is very stiff, and contributes to a very "tight" feel. My 2013 Tern Verge S11i feels about as solid as my road bike. My 2006 Dahon Mu XL is noticeably less so, though it was a big improvement over my earlier Dahon Helios XL.
Dahon's current bikes are undoubtedly much improved over those from 2007.
Old 11-02-21, 10:44 AM
jfouellette

Here is a picture of my new setup. note the replacement handlebar, extention and post.
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 11-14-21, 08:49 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Looks nice. Your handlebars too.

I have a few models of Dahon Handlebar posts if others are looking. I have both the performance (non adjustable) as well as the adjustable handlebar posts. I tend to swap them out one to the other depending upon the setup I or other people want.

PM me if I am not paying attention to the threads here.
Old 01-21-22, 02:59 PM
jfouellette

Hi everyone,

Winter means replacing parts on my used Dahon Speed (2007). This time I replaced the brake pads, the brake handles,

polished the chrome metal and replaced the crankwheel with a Litepro 53 from the original Dahon 52. From what I can see the edges of the gears were starting to look like shark fins. The chain and the cassette was replaced by the LBS last august.

Last edited by jfouellette; 01-21-22 at 03:09 PM.
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 01-26-22, 10:22 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101

How are headposts fully described?

I have a collection of foldies and everything is a search and often contradictory.

the use of catalogs (bless you, Thor) is as close as I get and there ain't no Sheldon Brown on this.

Catalogs are meant to sell parts , not archive them.

The inside outside hinge folding nomenclature is an example.

? hinge and stem nomenclature another.

Dahon celebrated its 35th anniversary by not archiving bikes before 2011.

The only upside of this that I can see is that it causes the less hardy to abandon repairs

and pass older bikes along for parts at a discount
Old 01-29-22, 10:43 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by bikebikebike
How are headposts fully described?

I have a collection of foldies and everything is a search and often contradictory.

the use of catalogs (bless you, Thor) is as close as I get and there ain't no Sheldon Brown on this.

Catalogs are meant to sell parts , not archive them.

The inside outside hinge folding nomenclature is an example.

? hinge and stem nomenclature another.

Dahon celebrated its 35th anniversary by not archiving bikes before 2011.

The only upside of this that I can see is that it causes the less hardy to abandon repairs

and pass older bikes along for parts at a discount

I already have an outside (right hand) folding stem en route.