Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stop the airport!

Old 11-16-22, 07:34 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
My point was that there's no particular definition of a "mega airport" and that LaGuardia generates a lot of traffic with just two runways. I have no idea how long the 2 runways at the new airport will be, but the article said they were looking at traffic about equal to SeaTac. SeaTac is actually busier than LaGuardia.
Laguardia had a limit from 1950's into the 80's of no flights originating or departing to an airport more than 600 miles away. In the 80's that changed to 1500 miles. Limits what kind of plane somewhat as no carrier is sending a widebody 747 or 777 in there as it doesn't pay to use such a plane on short flights. Runways are only 7,000 ft., too short for a 747. Theres no customs at the airport as well, so arriving flights need to have been from international airports that had pre-arrival U.S. Customs.
Old 11-16-22, 08:29 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
In Thailand, they built the new Suvarnabhumi airport back in September 2006. It is located about 25 kilometers east of Bangkok. In December 2015, Airports of Thailand introduced Sky Lane, a cycling track around the Suvarnabhumi airport perimeter. The entrance to Sky Lane is located in the northeastern corner of the airport area. Cyclists can bring their bicycles and bike here for free. The Sky Lane is a controlled-access, one-direction, two-lane track built only for cycling, so the riders can be ensured that they won't be bothered by any vehicle. The Sky Lane's length is 23.5 km, making it the longest in Asia.[size=8333px] [/size]Sky Lane's facilities, which are specially designed for cyclists, include medical facilities, shops, food & beverage, track, parking lot and a rest area. The entrance gate is open from 06:00 to 18:00.[size=8333px] [/size]On 23 November 2018, King Rama X presided over the official opening of cycling lane at Suvarnabhumi airport and named the track as Happy and Healthy Bike Lane. Perhaps they could do something like this if they actually do build an airport in Thurston County. Hopefully they would link the old MUP with a perimeter MUP.
Old 11-16-22, 08:59 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
I live in an Airpark in Arizona and we get along just fine except when a group ride comes through on a road from someone's house who is taxiing their plane to or from the runway and the group does not get completely off the road way and shoulder as far as possible, planes do not have a reverse and props throw a lot of grit and gravel. This is usually on a group of boy racers as opposed to a typical group.
Old 11-16-22, 09:32 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
There already is an airport that crosses over the chehalis western, some guy has a grass field that he lands his 172 on. Can catch you off guard because that engine is feathered and he comes in low. Like 6 feet over your head. Only happened once so far so it ain't like riding around o'hare or something. What is God's will for this experiment called earth. I would think that it would not be about destroying rare habitat, disrupting animal life, and ruining the spiritual experience that comes with a ride down a righteous bike path in the country. I would rather watch the sun set over the oak prairie on a warm summer's evening than cover my ears while some jack wagon pilot comes screaming in on his 707. We got enough flights already while the planet is melting. There is a website that has a map of the earth with real time data showing all the current air traffic and it is astounding to see how many gallons we are burning up there. But selfish people don't care , "honey should we go to Italy or France this year? Or should we check out the pyramids?"

If you care about the planet you will stay home and watch the discovery channel. Air traffic should be reserved for cargo or emergency purposes only. Good Lordy did you see that rocket blast into space? What for.? Are we going to open up a homeless shelter on the moon? Jus saying...WTF?
't
Old 11-17-22, 02:05 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
There already is an airport that crosses over the chehalis western, some guy has a grass field that he lands his 172 on. Can catch you off guard because that engine is feathered and he comes in low. Like 6 feet over your head. Only happened once so far so it ain't like riding around o'hare or something. What is God's will for this experiment called earth. I would think that it would not be about destroying rare habitat, disrupting animal life, and ruining the spiritual experience that comes with a ride down a righteous bike path in the country. I would rather watch the sun set over the oak prairie on a warm summer's evening than cover my ears while some jack wagon pilot comes screaming in on his 707. We got enough flights already while the planet is melting. There is a website that has a map of the earth with real time data showing all the current air traffic and it is astounding to see how many gallons we are burning up there. But selfish people don't care , "honey should we go to Italy or France this year? Or should we check out the pyramids?"

If you care about the planet you will stay home and watch the discovery channel. Air traffic should be reserved for cargo or emergency purposes only. Good Lordy did you see that rocket blast into space? What for.? Are we going to open up a homeless shelter on the moon? Jus saying...WTF?
't
It sounds like you would be opposed to this airport, or any other airport, regardless of where it was built.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-17-22, 05:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18322 Post(s)
Liked 15,303 Times in 7,232 Posts

If you care about the planet you will stay home and watch the discovery channel.
't
Can I watch Jeopardy! instead?
Old 11-17-22, 05:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Laguardia had a limit from 1950's into the 80's of no flights originating or departing to an airport more than 600 miles away. In the 80's that changed to 1500 miles. Limits what kind of plane somewhat as no carrier is sending a widebody 747 or 777 in there as it doesn't pay to use such a plane on short flights. Runways are only 7,000 ft., too short for a 747. Theres no customs at the airport as well, so arriving flights need to have been from international airports that had pre-arrival U.S. Customs.
My only point was that a two runway airport could be very busy. Presumably, the reason they're building this one in the boonies is so the runways can be long. Two big runways could be a "mega" airport.
Old 11-17-22, 05:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

't
If this is a "ban passenger flying" thread, it definitely doesn't belong in General Cycling.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-17-22, 06:23 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
At night you can here coyotes howling off in the distance, you can hear thousands of frogs creating an almost deafening sound, i have had owls flying over my bike in order that i might scare up some food with my light, there are rabbits crossing the trail at every mile, fox, possum, deer, garter snakes, just to name a few...
So pretty much everything I see on my 1/2 acre city lot
Old 11-17-22, 06:29 AM
kwb377 
Definitely an amateur...

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Stumpy FSR

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 32 Posts
At night you can here coyotes howling off in the distance, you can hear thousands of frogs creating an almost deafening sound, i have had owls flying over my bike in order that i might scare up some food with my light, there are rabbits crossing the trail at every mile, fox, possum, deer, garter snakes, just to name a few.

I can not think of a worse place to start a project like this. Not only will the airport ruin a wonderful area, the access roads will also screw things up.

I am just trying to make aware to any people from this area what is going down.
And the land that your place of residence (house, apartment, etc.) is built on was once like that, too...but I guess that project was OK.
Likes For kwb377:
Old 11-17-22, 06:53 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
So pretty much everything I see on my 1/2 acre city lot
I live inside the city limits on a quarter acre lot in a community of lots that size and it is the same here so that description would also describe my neighborhood. The thousands of frogs might be an exaggeration for my house, but they are close by and I do hear a few including a loud bullfrog across the street. We have more owls than I have seen anywhere and a ton of hawks. We watch the barred owls raise their young in a hollow of a tree just next to our property line most years. Just a very short ride from my door I see many wading and other birds, gators, deer, snakes, other wildlife. Out where the airport is is probably less rich in wildlfe, but not because of the airport.

My point is that some of the best trails for seeing wildlife can be in well managed urban areas. Here in Tallahassee we have a trail system that is interconnected pretty well so you can get somewhere on it whether that is access to other trails or for transportation. It is well maintained and folks here take pride in it. Trails tend to run along drainage canals, lakes, and in other places with a lot of wildlife.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 11-17-22, 09:00 AM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts

't
OMG, turn out your lights, yer pity party is over......
Likes For 308jerry:
Old 11-17-22, 10:02 AM
tomato coupe

It’s a odd idea that anyone that really cares about the planet should sit at home and watch television.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-17-22, 10:13 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
A couple of days ago there was an airshow crash in Dallas. A fighter plane smacked into the back of a B-17 Flying Fortress and knocked it to pieces. Everything fell on the ground in a fireball. This sent me down a Google crawl - how many of these planes were made? What were WW2 losses like? How many planes were ever made?

For WW2 there were about a million airplanes built. In serious battles there could be hundreds of planes lost in a day. Nothing, nothing even close to that has ever happened since. There are <30,000 commercial aircraft right now in the world. There are probably about 40,000 military aircraft. Production of commercial jets was growing in the 2010's, over 1700 by 2019, but in 2020 there were less than 1000 built.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-17-22, 11:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18322 Post(s)
Liked 15,303 Times in 7,232 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It’s a odd idea that anyone that really cares about the planet should sit at home and watch television.
Even if it’s Jeopardy!?
Old 11-17-22, 11:05 AM
JessieSayre
Banned.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Err, of course if it's Jeopardy, we will stay at home and go out for nothing.)
Old 11-17-22, 11:08 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Even if it’s Jeopardy!?
Okay, Jeopardy gets a pass.

Full disclosure: I watch Jeopardy on my smart phone while driving, and I honk my car horn to buzz in for a question.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-17-22, 12:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Old 11-17-22, 12:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Honest question, and I'm not looking for an argument: do either of you ever travel by air?
I'm still waiting for cjenrick and RB1-luvr to answer this simple question.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-17-22, 12:26 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Even if it’s Jeopardy!?
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Okay, Jeopardy gets a pass.

Full disclosure: I watch Jeopardy on my smart phone while driving, and I honk my car horn to buzz in for a question.
About 30-some years ago, I lived in a place where they broadcast Jeopardy (same episode) twice each day -- at both times, I was home...But my gf was only home for the second showing. So, as Alex Trebek would give the answers, I would spout off the questions before the contestants -- and some of them, of course, were pretty challenging. The gf was pretty impressed. Then, one day, she came home early.
Old 11-17-22, 01:12 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,254 Times in 724 Posts

't
Gee, I guess I will have to re-certify myself as cargo, so I can get to work when I need to go, considering my work involves flying great distances, often over vast amounts of water known as oceans. Or perhaps I can simply put pontoons on my bicycle and commute via bike.

Old 11-17-22, 01:31 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
I just looked up "the discovery channel" -- which we have all been advised to "stay home and watch".

Some fascinating programming demonstrating "care about the planet": *****in' Rides; Moonshiners: Master Distiller; Engine Masters; The Murder Tapes; Mud Mountain Haulers; Outback Opal Hunters ... one could go on, but to what point? I suppose that -- arguably -- Alaskan Bush People might qualify? But then again ...
Likes For badger1:
Old 11-17-22, 02:35 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
About 30-some years ago, I lived in a place where they broadcast Jeopardy (same episode) twice each day -- at both times, I was home...But my gf was only home for the second showing. So, as Alex Trebek would give the answers, I would spout off the questions before the contestants -- and some of them, of course, were pretty challenging. The gf was pretty impressed. Then, one day, she came home early.
bet you had some splainin' to do.
Likes For spelger:
Old 11-19-22, 08:16 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
A couple of days ago there was an airshow crash in Dallas. A fighter plane smacked into the back of a B-17 Flying Fortress and knocked it to pieces. Everything fell on the ground in a fireball. This sent me down a Google crawl - how many of these planes were made? What were WW2 losses like? How many planes were ever made?

For WW2 there were about a million airplanes built. In serious battles there could be hundreds of planes lost in a day. Nothing, nothing even close to that has ever happened since. There are <30,000 commercial aircraft right now in the world. There are probably about 40,000 military aircraft. Production of commercial jets was growing in the 2010's, over 1700 by 2019, but in 2020 there were less than 1000 built.
Actually there were about 300,000 planes built during WII.
Old 11-19-22, 09:14 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
I would rather watch the sun set over the oak prairie on a warm summer's evening than cover my ears while some jack wagon pilot comes screaming in on his 707. We got enough flights already while the planet is melting. There is a website that has a map of the earth with real time data showing all the current air traffic and it is astounding to see how many gallons we are burning up there. But selfish people don't care , "honey should we go to Italy or France this year? Or should we check out the pyramids?"

't
Maybe some of you aircraft geeks can verify this, but the 707 doesn't fly in the USA anymore; it is used in a few foreign countries.

I watch a lot of stuff on the Discovery channel's channels (got that?) including one show called "To Catch A Smuggler". But most of those episodes are about smuggling through airports (passenger and freight planes) so would that be acceptable?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.