Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What to eat

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What to eat

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-17, 04:49 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I think you misunderstood what I said (or I miss-typed). I'm thread-weary so not going to read it all now.
So it is the other way/I agree with you. Fasted would work, but that is not what the OP said they were doing and in 8 hours - there is no issue using food.
At 50% FTP you don't need carbs, at least for the start. I posted 50% as a guess after a suggestion a 90%FTP 45min hill climb would show use something about an eight hour event. Which I do not agree with.
I suggested carbs - last half. And caffeine last quarter. Not to go faster, to finish.
I was also saying that staying off of stimulants and carbs would create a slower start, and enable the rider to stay on plan. Some argue stimulates and carbs product the same output as fat. I think you run faster on carbs and stimulants - which is why folks use them.

Most/many of the responses were not considering the time of this event. 6-7 hours on the bike and stops (in the OP).
AND the OP asked what to eat, not how to ride.
So the TT and hill climbing and 90% FTP and encouragement on riding etc., were mostly not inline with the facts as stated in post 1, that is, unless you see all eating the same, regardless of event.

IMO had the OP started stimulant-and-carb free he/she would have most likely gone 1-2 mph slower than was done by mile 70 and would not have had, or had much less muscle fatigue.
Here is where most people are disagreeing with you. If I understand you correctly, your argument is carbs=70% ftp effort and fat=50% ftp effort. You CAN run faster with carbs and stimulants, but it isn't the result from taking them. People go out too hard on long rides when they are new for a number of reasons, but I don't think it was because of their diet before or during the ride. The end result is that they would bonk even sooner if they avoided carbs. Plenty of people have gone out and successfully completed their first century efforts by following the effort portion of your advice while still ingesting plenty of carbs, I'm one of them, many moons ago. Picked a group that was substantially slower than my normal pace and the goal was to just finish. Since then I've done other centuries and even double centuries at paces closer to threshold still fueled by carbs. Effort and perceived effort are affected by fuel to some extent, but your control over your effort, especially at the beginning are still controlled by your own mind.
Old 05-30-17, 06:35 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Not wanting to drag this on indefinitely ... (20 pages would be nice, though) but yeah ... I have gone too hard on rides and suffered later, and moderated my effort and suffered less ... based on intellect and planing and desire, not on diet.

The idea that I have to starve myself to ride smart ... hey, whatever works for you.

For short rides lately I start the day with a cup or two of coffee and five a.m., eat very lightly protein/carb/fat balanced throughout the day, drink a decent amount of water, and head out around 6 p.m. or so or a ride of 11-28 miles (which is my current comfortable max.) I generally start light,, then go pretty hard until about half or two thirds when I just hit a bump, slow a bit, ride over it, get a second wind, and push in spurts all the way back.

I do that Not based on the food I eat (sometimes I go for a Powerbar an hour before, or a Mountain Dew ... or both ... sometimes nothing for several hours ...) but based on how I feel when I leave, how I feel once I start to pick up speed and how far I think I can go with what I have that day (accumulated fatigue, enough or too little sleep, how hard the next day might be ...)

I don't use diet to control my effort, I use my brain ... which aside from the skin is about the biggest organ, and certainly the most powerful.

A lot of people go out hard at the start because they are enthusiastic, or inexperienced ... whether or not they have drank a lot of coffee, or 5-Hour energy, or guarana tablets ... and most riders figure out after a couple times burning out, "Hey, I am starting too fast and burning out early." It isn't rocket science.

The Nutrition science is very interesting ... but as with all scientific research, the hardest part is drawing the right conclusions from the data, whether or not they are the conclusions you want therm to be.
Old 05-31-17, 11:26 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I'm training for a 140 mile ride on June 17th. I'm a diabetic and eat low carb and I'm fat adapted. (I eat less than 20 carbs a day)

I've done a couple of 60's and a couple of 75'ers with my last one with an avg speed of 17.6. I'm planning on doing a 110 this Saturday (Supported ride). I'm looking for suggestions for what to eat. Here is my current plan.

Breakfast: Bullet proof Postum with coconut oil, butter, and hwcream. Eggs and bacon.
25 mile stop: Big handful of macadamia nuts
50 mile stop: Bib handful of salted almonds
75 mile stop: Quest bar
100 mile stop: Kind bar
With water and Nunn energy tablets.
Old 05-31-17, 11:50 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
I'm training for a 140 mile ride on June 17th. I'm a diabetic and eat low carb and I'm fat adapted. (I eat less than 20 carbs a day)

I've done a couple of 60's and a couple of 75'ers with my last one with an avg speed of 17.6. I'm planning on doing a 110 this Saturday (Supported ride). I'm looking for suggestions for what to eat. Here is my current plan.

Breakfast: Bullet proof Postum with coconut oil, butter, and hwcream. Eggs and bacon.
Why even eat anything at all if you are not taking in carbohydrate? Im sure you and everybody else in the northern hemisphere has at least a few pounds of fat stored somewhere.
Old 05-31-17, 11:50 AM
redlude97

speed doesn't really tell you everything. Do you have an idea of your lactate threshold and/or at least perceived effort relative to your max? Staying low carb and fat adapted during the ride is possible if you stay below 60% of your lactate threshold(probably 50% to be safe) at a new long distance. With depleted glycogen stores going into the ride you don't have a lot of buffer capacity. Are you type 1 or type 2 diabetic? Personally I would carb load and eat plenty of carbs during the ride, which is what most low carb cyclists do during performance efforts, but your diabetic state plays a roll in that.
Old 05-31-17, 11:56 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Not wanting to drag this on indefinitely ... (20 pages would be nice, though) but yeah ... I have gone too hard on rides and suffered later, and moderated my effort and suffered less ... based on intellect and planing and desire, not on diet.

The idea that I have to starve myself to ride smart ... hey, whatever works for you.

For short rides lately I start the day with a cup or two of coffee and five a.m., eat very lightly protein/carb/fat balanced throughout the day, drink a decent amount of water, and head out around 6 p.m. or so or a ride of 11-28 miles (which is my current comfortable max.) I generally start light,, then go pretty hard until about half or two thirds when I just hit a bump, slow a bit, ride over it, get a second wind, and push in spurts all the way back.

I do that Not based on the food I eat (sometimes I go for a Powerbar an hour before, or a Mountain Dew ... or both ... sometimes nothing for several hours ...) but based on how I feel when I leave, how I feel once I start to pick up speed and how far I think I can go with what I have that day (accumulated fatigue, enough or too little sleep, how hard the next day might be ...)

I don't use diet to control my effort, I use my brain ... which aside from the skin is about the biggest organ, and certainly the most powerful.

A lot of people go out hard at the start because they are enthusiastic, or inexperienced ... whether or not they have drank a lot of coffee, or 5-Hour energy, or guarana tablets ... and most riders figure out after a couple times burning out, "Hey, I am starting too fast and burning out early." It isn't rocket science.

The Nutrition science is very interesting ... but as with all scientific research, the hardest part is drawing the right conclusions from the data, whether or not they are the conclusions you want therm to be.
Said much more eloquently than I
Old 05-31-17, 12:09 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I am not nor have I ever been diabetic ... so i have no advice to offer beyond, "Enjoy the ride."
Old 05-31-17, 12:33 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I'm a type 2. I lost 50 lbs and reduced my A1c from 8.9 down to 4.7 without drugs on lchf. I tried carb loading on a ride once and I got sick to my stomach because my body wasn't used to carbs. Unfortunately, I can't pull a shopping cart behind me on long rides.
Old 05-31-17, 12:51 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I'm a type 2. I lost 50 lbs and reduced my A1c from 8.9 down to 4.7 without drugs on lchf. I tried carb loading on a ride once and I got sick to my stomach because my body wasn't used to carbs. Unfortunately, I can't pull a shopping cart behind me on long rides.
I used to ride with a guy who could drop me on hills pulling a trailer with his lab in it. I use carbs, but never carb load. The technicolor yawn is the usual response to carb loading right before a ride for anyone. It's also called carb-unloading.
Old 06-01-17, 10:05 AM
RichardR1015

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
Ya think? A lot of pompous palaver in here, for sure. Yours is the most sensible posting on this thread and contains the most useful information.
I agree. Thanks to Zman for the assistance and enlightenment. I'll keep at it and keep working on the eating.
Old 06-01-17, 10:38 AM
redlude97

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I used to ride with a guy who could drop me on hills pulling a trailer with his lab in it. I use carbs, but never carb load. The technicolor yawn is the usual response to carb loading right before a ride for anyone. It's also called carb-unloading.
unless you are on a low carb diet, you have probably already topped off your glycogen stores with a normal diet.
Old 06-04-17, 11:32 PM
Zurichman2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardR1015
I agree. Thanks to Zman for the assistance and enlightenment. I'll keep at it and keep working on the eating.

If you have a riding club around you it wouldn't hurt to join them or maybe a LBS shop that has some seasoned riders. I have done lots of group rides and know for sure that there are cyclists out there that luv giving back to the sport and there is no better way to see someone finishing their first century ride. I have enjoyed doing it.

Zman
Old 06-17-20, 02:43 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardR1015
So I made a thread a while back asking for some guidance on this issue and got several different responses. I'm homing to get a more specific answer this time.

I'm doing my first 100 mile ride tomorrow. Will be a steady pace of 13-15 mph. We will stop a few times along the way but we all want to push ourselves and stop as little as possible. I plan on taking 4 energy gels, 2 protein bars and 4 bottles of water. I bought some salt tablets that I'm told are fantastic when doing longer rides.

My question is this, is what I'm taking enough/too much or should I plan on more? If it's not enough, what else should I plan on taking? What type of breakfast should I eat?

4 energy gels is about 400 kcal, 2 protein bars are about 600 kcal but im guessing only half of that is from sugars. You dont need protein on your ride, you need easily absorbed carbs to fuel your muscles. Have no idea what advice you were given, but imo, this is nowhere near enough. The reality of it is, you cant absorb as much energy as you expend on a bike, thus the further you go the more depleted you become. Therefore you must maximise the uptake by ingesting low/no-fibre foods that is also 100% carbs or close to.it. Gels and sugery drink is a favourite but not all can stomach it for extended periods. I like soda, bags of different sweets and white bread sandwiches. I once did a long ride on boiled potatoes with some salt, just to see. Worked fine, but a little bulky :-)

You will enjoy your ride much better if you drink and eat enough.
Old 06-17-20, 02:59 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
And here I thought I've been thinking that my system is inefficient, because I average right around 700kJ per hour-- but two weeks ago, I did 105 miles in 6:10 on nothing more than water, a venti Mocha Frappucino, and about 24oz of Gatorade.

People really overthink these things. Take some food. Watch your pace. If it's hot, don't forget electrolyte replacement.
I've done 200k fasted (1300m elevation) ... with a 29kph average. (www.strava.com/activities/3348857811)
I didn't bring electrolytes or salt either because I'm an idiot, but I normally do on fasted rides.

The amount of glycogen you'll burn on a ride depends entirely on whether you're performing aerobically or anaerobically, and the disparity between the two will change further depending on your metabolic conditioning and lypolidic metabolism efficiency.
Old 06-17-20, 03:01 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
As you normally do 40-50 mile rides, and this is your first 100, bring ample amounts of food, electrolytes, water, and make sure you cycle at a SLOW enough pace that you can sustain for the entire duration of the ride. You should be able to breathe comfortably through your nose and maintain an on-going conversation within your aerobic range. It will definitely feel slow, but that's how you ride for 10+ hours
Old 06-18-20, 05:30 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Dude took the ride three years ago.. I think he's good now..
Likes For goenrdoug: