Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Drafting etiquette

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Drafting etiquette

Old 09-20-21, 04:37 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Cool! It's not every day one learns two new things. I stole the Accelerate from LA. That's what he yelled when he caught Pantani on Ventoux. Pantani knew what he meant. "Wheel" is fairly common.
I'm assuming that "LA" stands for Lance Armstrong otherwise I could care less what a Pantani or Ventoux is. Never heard anyone yell "wheel" before whether in the US or Asia. Don't think it's that common really. Have heard and used "on your left" or just "on left" a zillion times.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 09-20-21, 06:03 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I'm assuming that "LA" stands for Lance Armstrong otherwise I could care less what a Pantani or Ventoux is. Never heard anyone yell "wheel" before whether in the US or Asia. Don't think it's that common really. Have heard and used "on your left" or just "on left" a zillion times.
I guess it's good that your caring threshold is quite high, but curiosity is also a good thing, IMO. I think you're right. Judging by this thread, folks announcing that they have arrived on someone's wheel probably is rare. Shouldn't be, IMO.
Old 09-20-21, 06:57 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I always simply say, "Wheel" loudly enough that the rider can hear me, that being short for "on your wheel" which is too long and could be confused with "on your left." I've never had anyone tell me to go away. Which of course I could do, because I did catch that rider and just wanted a bit of a rest. When I eventually pass, I invite the other rider to come along. Usually they don't. Not everyone has the skills or interest in drafting. If it's someone I know and I'm coming up on them pretty fast, I shout "Accelerate!" before I pass. That's usually on a shallow descent. Most folks will play along.

In pacelines, I like to be the rider with my wheel to the left of the wheel in front of me. So far, I've been able to steer out of a paceline accordions. I've never had a rider brake check me on purpose. That's like brake checking a semi. No good will come of it.
Yelling 'wheel' is stupid. I've NEVER heard anyone do that. Not a single time. I guess if you know the person yelling 'accelerate' isn't quite as stupid but if you did that to me you'd get 'f**k off *ssh*le' in reply.
Old 09-20-21, 08:34 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Yelling 'wheel' is stupid. I've NEVER heard anyone do that. Not a single time. I guess if you know the person yelling 'accelerate' isn't quite as stupid but if you did that to me you'd get 'f**k off *ssh*le' in reply.
Yelling? Who said anything about yelling? I agree that yelling at someone in close quarters would be greeted with disapproval. OTOH, saying something important to another rider so that you can't be heard would also not be a good idea. Thus I said, "I always simply say, "Wheel" loudly enough that the rider can hear me." Most riders glance back to see who it is and leave it at that. I've never had a rider tell me to move on, but then I only ride with experienced riders.

In the case where you shout obscenities, I would ban you from the group for antisocial behavior. I don't have to ride with antisocial folks. There are plenty of kind, cooperative riders. I get that antisocial aggression finds a certain amount of applause on the roadie forum but I don't have to put up with it in person. If it weren't on a group ride, I'd never say anything to you. Why would I care?

I might mention that I do ride differently when I'm pulling. I know some riders try to keep their power number steady on the flat. I learned to ride with other riders decades before there were power meters and learned to hold my cadence steady instead. Makes a big difference on a windy day at the head of a line. If there's just one person back it's no big deal.
Old 09-20-21, 08:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Yelling? Who said anything about yelling? I agree that yelling at someone in close quarters would be greeted with disapproval. OTOH, saying something important to another rider so that you can't be heard would also not be a good idea. Thus I said, "I always simply say, "Wheel" loudly enough that the rider can hear me." Most riders glance back to see who it is and leave it at that. I've never had a rider tell me to move on, but then I only ride with experienced riders.

In the case where you shout obscenities, I would ban you from the group for antisocial behavior. I don't have to ride with antisocial folks. There are plenty of kind, cooperative riders. I get that antisocial aggression finds a certain amount of applause on the roadie forum but I don't have to put up with it in person. If it weren't on a group ride, I'd never say anything to you. Why would I care?

I might mention that I do ride differently when I'm pulling. I know some riders try to keep their power number steady on the flat. I learned to ride with other riders decades before there were power meters and learned to hold my cadence steady instead. Makes a big difference on a windy day at the head of a line. If there's just one person back it's no big deal.
Honestly, if someone did that to me, I'd assume there was something amiss with my wheel, and I'd probably stop pedaling and wobble all over hell trying to see what you were talking about, because I've never, ever heard anyone say that on a ride.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-20-21, 09:45 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 672 Posts

A contributor to BF for 14 years and over 17,500 posts averaging over 3 posts a day and this is the level of contribution? I can’t imagine a more obnoxious interaction with another cyclist than what you described when rolling up on someone. As for your story between LA and Pantani on Ventoux if you recall Pantani considered LA a real asshat on that occasion.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 09-20-21 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-20-21, 10:10 PM
SDkid605

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bshell
When you are riding and some stranger passes you, is it ok to catch up and draft behind them? Is this considered bad manners? Or is there some proper way to do this that is polite? I do this from time to time without problem but the other day I did it and the guy in front slammed on his brakes so of course I slammed into him and both of us were very annoyed with the other. He did it on purpose because he thought I was a creep for drafting behind him. I had no idea this was not allowed. So what is the right way to draft behind a stranger when out and about?
Why would you want to follow so close to someone else's ass ??
A few seconds of time are that important to you ??
Yes, that's creepy,, I'd pull over & punch you in the face, idiot.
Old 09-20-21, 10:43 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
One of the friendliest threads on BF I've read in a long time.
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-20-21, 10:53 PM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I have had people jump on my wheel before. I don't necessarily like/dislike it but I also feel no responsibility to/for them. They made choice and are therefore responsible for their actions.
I agree they made the choice, but my issue is that they can take me out if I don't know they're there. Perhaps I'm doing intervals, my interval ends, I sit up and naturally decel. If that guy's not really paying attention, he could come into the back of me. Yeah, he'd prob be the one to go down, but might take me with him, damage my derailleur, etc.

That's the main issue for me.

If someone gets on my wheel, I'll either lay down some sparkle watts to drop them, or start riding a little erratically so they'll naturally want to GTF away from me
Old 09-20-21, 11:36 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by stuff shredman

If someone gets on my wheel, I'll either lay down some sparkle watts to drop them, or start riding a little erratically so they'll naturally want to GTF away from me
I wish I had sparkle watts.
Old 09-20-21, 11:48 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul

On a more serious note, some of the local club rides are asking those who aren't vaccinated to ride at the rear of the group. Thank goodness for Zwift. This is getting crazy.
Pretty much everybody I know who is a group rider is still riding in groups. Even with Delta, I don't know of any transmission from group rides. Some may not find that too comforting.

I assume that everybody with whom I ride is vaccinated - just knowing them, I think that's almost completely true. But I'm not checking cards and I could be wrong.

And yes, it's all crazy. Has been for a year and a half.
Old 09-21-21, 12:30 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Don’t mind or care if someone drafts me. However i do feel responsible for pointing out hazards. If they are there long enough, I will swing behind them so they can take a pull. Grass, gas or @$$, no one rides for free.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-21-21, 08:28 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
A contributor to BF for 14 years and over 17,500 posts averaging over 3 posts a day and this is the level of contribution? I can’t imagine a more obnoxious interaction with another cyclist than what you described when rolling up on someone. As for your story between LA and Pantani on Ventoux if you recall Pantani considered LA a real asshat on that occasion.
Well, my explanation is that I didn't feel like writing whole paragraphs about my personal contributions on group rides and thus to whom I contribute and to whom I don't and all that complicated stuff. I only tell my buddies who love to sit my wheel when I be going around at a substantial speed differential because I know they'll want to get on. I remember one fellow who thought, well yes he's passing so I'll just go a little faster and get on. Problem with that is that I was on the tandem with my wife. By the time he was up to speed I had a good 100' on him and even though he's the strongest rider in our group, we were gone. We waited at the bottom for him. Context is everything.

On the "Wheel" issue, I've said that a zillion times, never had anyone have an issue with it. I don't care for it when people get on me without announcing. What would you say to the rider in front? I think announcing is the polite thing and the safe thing. Seems to me we have a tiny minority of folks here who are not cooperative riders. I don't see why they're posting in a drafting thread.

Yes, Pantani probably was POed at Lance for making him ride harder than he wanted. OTOH Lance gave him the stage win in return for helping Lance put a little more time on the competition. It is tough to not be the strongest rider anymore and then have someone mess with you. I suppose Pantani would have been happier had Lance taken the win. Lance was a definite ahole in the peloton, but there wasn't a boss anymore who was strong enough to put him down. I've never had anyone make me ride harder than I wanted to. If I was strong enough, I'd ride harder than I though possible. If I wasn't, I'd drop off. I think that's very very common and one of the most fun things about riding. My wife and I once held the wheel of a local team who'd won AG tandem nationals, about 30' at 28 mph, 6" off their wheel. They finally slowed down and let us pull for a while.
Old 09-21-21, 08:53 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
On the "Wheel" issue, I've said that a zillion times, never had anyone have an issue with it. I don't care for it when people get on me without announcing. What would you say to the rider in front? I think announcing is the polite thing and the safe thing.
I think yelling "zucchini" or belching very loudly would be just as effective as yelling "wheel".
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-21-21, 10:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Ah Carbonfiberboy you bring back such great memories of my tandem years. Had a Rodriguez racing tandem locally built in Seattle. Rode 10s of thousand miles on that beast. Did the Seattle to Portland in one day several times and Ride ‘Around Mt Ranier a couple on it besides a several centuries and tons of group rides. Was mostly a two man team until my pal moved abroad and then it became my wife and my preferred way to cycle.

The downside is that my guy friend and I seldom could draft because we were always the fastest bike unless there was a faster tandem, but I can recall only one. There were two Cat 1 guys on an tandem, on RAMROD, but they were so fast we didn’t have a chance of riding their wheel.

Being a tandem, we pulled countless singles on our long hauls. Never had an issue except when they wouldn’t reciprocate on long climbers when our sheer mass worked to our disadvantage. But the great fun was on long fast descents when we were doing 50+ watching the would be drafters doing their damnest to sprint to catch our tail and never having a chance. Then we didn’t mind so much not being able to draft. Land speed record on that bike was 62.5 MPH, passed an RV doing 55 (the posted limit) and several other cars, but that was back in my crazy 30s.

Those were some fun and scary times.

Last edited by rsbob; 09-21-21 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-22-21, 07:48 AM
ejw

Bikes: 2002 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1981 Peugeot PSV 10S, 1974 Paramount Road Racer, 1971 Raleigh International, 1965 Fiorelli, 1961 Rudge Sports

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 32 Posts
I would avoid drafting anyone who isn’t a seasoned rider, and preferably only one you know well.
Old 09-22-21, 10:08 AM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ejw
I would avoid drafting anyone who isn’t a seasoned rider
preferably seasoned with paprika or oregano
Likes For stuff shredman:
Old 09-22-21, 01:08 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Hi, I am new here.

When someone jumps on my wheel without asking, I dial it up to 400 watts and keep it pegged until they disappear. Am I being rude?
Likes For PepeM:
Old 09-22-21, 01:10 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Hi, I am new here.

When someone jumps on my wheel without asking, I dial it up to 400 watts and keep it pegged until they disappear. Am I being rude?
not if before turning up the dial, you give the wheel sucker "The Look."
Old 09-22-21, 01:16 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Well, of course. I am not a monster.
Likes For PepeM:
Old 09-22-21, 01:22 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
not if before turning up the dial, you give the wheel sucker "The Look."
And yell, "Accelerate!"
Old 09-22-21, 01:58 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
One of the friendliest threads on BF I've read in a long time.
It would seem the way to interpolate this thread, given the variety of responses, is to not ride on another's wheel, whom you don;t know or haven't had some positive interact beforehand...
LOL !
Thx
Yuri
Old 09-22-21, 02:11 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,039 Times in 3,800 Posts
Originally Posted by stuff shredman
preferably seasoned with paprika or oregano
I rub my chest with salt and cayenne pepper before every ride.
Old 09-22-21, 03:29 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Oh, so you're one of those people?
Old 09-22-21, 03:37 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Everyone knows red pepper is fast.
Likes For tomato coupe:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.