Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 09-20-21, 09:01 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Ok, yes, I have met TMonk and GStein, and you're both still here. But I can probably name another half dozen or so people I've met over the years who are no longer here.

Yes, I totally messed up my first lap. I was going all out at that moment. I feel like my vision was a bit blurry, and I totally missed my transition into my skis.

And yes, I like the downtime and opportunity to hang out and chat at track races. Though it can make for very long days.
Old 09-20-21, 10:11 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Pretty much no one is here any more! That you met them is merely anecdotal. We're old. It's a bulletin board.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 09-20-21, 12:26 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
Just look at the Join Dates from the last 10+ posts... We're all lifers from the mid 2000's.

At 34 (almost 35) I'm one of the younger posters in the 33 and will soon be able to say that I've been a competitive cyclist for half my life.

Also caloso wins.
Old 09-20-21, 12:38 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by TMonk
and will soon be able to say that I've been a moderator for half my life.
fixed it for you
Old 09-20-21, 12:43 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

lol
Old 09-20-21, 01:16 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,390 Posts
I have met a bunch of people from the forum but hardly see any of them these days. I saw ovoleg on a mountain bike ride this Saturday. I haven't seen him in years and I think he was 19 when he first rode with our club. A lot of people thought he was a troll and didn't actually ride but he did. He even posted a video of getting taken down in a cat 5 race.
Here is an old picture of ovoleg.
Old 09-20-21, 01:22 PM
big john

Just look at the Join Dates from the last 10+ posts... We're all lifers from the mid 2000's.

At 34 (almost 35) I'm one of the younger posters in the 33 and will soon be able to say that I've been a competitive cyclist for half my life.
I'm 67 and my body is starting to do weird stuff like maybe it wants to stop riding.
Old 09-20-21, 02:05 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
We're all lifers from the mid 2000's..
I'm amazed I still visit this corner of the internet after so many years.

In other news I broke 1,100W for the first time since the finger injury (1,109W max, 1032W 5s). You actually need working hands to sprint.
Old 09-20-21, 06:50 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
I'm amazed I still visit this corner of the internet after so many years.

In other news I broke 1,100W for the first time since the finger injury (1,109W max, 1032W 5s). You actually need working hands to sprint.
I don't even ride anymore but I still check in here, after like 13 years or something. Lots of other forums I've left behind but I keep checking on this one for some reason.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 09-20-21, 08:01 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I don't even ride anymore but I still check in here, after like 13 years or something. Lots of other forums I've left behind but I keep checking on this one for some reason.
I’ve started checking back recently. Until about three years ago I basically lived here, then I switched mostly to ultrarunning for a change in pace. About a year and a half ago I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma and have been on chemo since- lemme tell ya, that stuff slows you down! I lost about 100 watts off my FTP and three minutes off my average mile pace. But things are improving. I’m enjoying reading how y’all are doing!

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 09-20-21, 08:45 PM
big john

Originally Posted by revchuck
I’ve started checking back recently. Until about three years ago I basically lived here, then I switched mostly to ultrarunning for a change in pace. About a year and a half ago I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma and have been on chemo since- lemme tell ya, that stuff slows you down! I lost about 100 watts off my FTP and three minutes off my average mile pace. But things are improving. I’m enjoying reading how y’all are doing!
Good luck with your recovery, Chuck.
Old 09-21-21, 03:54 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Originally Posted by big john
Good luck with your recovery, Chuck.
Thanks, John!

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-21-21, 08:20 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
revchuck . Wishing you the best outcome for recovery.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 09-21-21, 10:44 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Best of luck.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 09-21-21, 11:18 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Just back from vacation for almost 2 weeks. Hoping to come back to a more normal neighborhood. It's definitely better, but many houses are still completely wrecked, and there's still the exhausting and depressing sounds of chainsaws and wood chippers from dawn to dusk. I don't know how long that will last.
Old 09-21-21, 11:28 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Hermès and Flatballer - thanks!

I’m actually on a downward glide path to finishing treatment. Today was the last dose of one of the treatments. Next week I talk with my doctor to discuss taking a “medication holiday” where I’ll stop all related medications for a while to see how my body reacts. I’ve got a 10k scheduled for the end of next month to give me a goal to shoot for. It damned sure won’t be a PR, but will definitely function as a F*** you! to cancer.

Demain, on roule!
Likes For revchuck:
Old 09-21-21, 12:04 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Best of luck with your recovery revchuck.
Likes For cmh:
Old 09-21-21, 05:40 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
The amazon compressor bike tire inflator worked. To do what you need you still need to remove the valve core on your tubeless valve stem as that's the real limiter to rapid tire inflation. Just don't blow the tire plum slap off, so set your compressor's outlet regulator down first.

But with the core out, it's so fast it's nuts.

Someone had asked, so there ya go.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-22-21, 07:16 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
<3 keep crushing it
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 09-22-21, 07:18 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Jeepers. I had to look it up. I wish you the best.

On a positive note, you're probably still higher in FTP than me as well as probably being a few minutes faster than me for average mile pace.

Was it you that did sport shooting? I went down a YouTube rabbit hole watching various celebrities doing a gun course - initially Keanu for John Wick, but Lewis Hamilton did the same course as well.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 09-22-21, 07:49 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Be well, Rev. One of my teachers that I worked for has that. He's in remission now.

Finally saw my ortho yesterday to go over an MRI from 6 weeks ago. A year ago my knee started barking, seemingly from all the hiking/walking, yoga, and seated meditation I was doing. Last week of July I did two 20 mile hikes, and an 18 mile walk in the city. My knee hurt. Shocking.

Turns out that while there's a minor meniscus tear, the issue really is cartilage loss. i.e. not much to do. Some sort of viscus shot made of rooster combs (#notvegan). Possibly knee replacement down the road. A bit bummed about it all. Trying to cobble together a life plan. It might involve a really expensive spotting scope and cookies. Lots of cookies.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 09-22-21, 10:59 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
I'm having an umbilical hernia repaired on Monday, hoping the recovery is not too bad. Been doing some running as well, got a free entry to a half marathon really close to my house in October, which will be my longest run ever.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 09-22-21, 12:00 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Sounds like injuries all around. I'm still struggling with knee issues, patellofemoral stuff. I had a mini breakthrough yesterday on my ride when it started hurting 50 min in... I coasted a bit and just tugged around on my knee and it distinctly popped over to the inside, and my pain went away for another 10 min or so. This is sort of in line with all the muscle imbalance stuff I've been learning.

Also got me thinking that maybe I should try some Kinesio Tape... You know, the stuff you see the pros wearing. Maybe I need to warmup and then tape them in place before a ride. Kinda enthusiastic to try it.

In the mean team I've been swimming, and focusing on strengthening the inside (VMO) and stretching/foam rolling the outside... we'll get there.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 09-22-21, 12:02 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
I'm having an umbilical hernia repaired on Monday, hoping the recovery is not too bad. Been doing some running as well, got a free entry to a half marathon really close to my house in October, which will be my longest run ever.
I had umbilical hernia surgery in 2009. It is very unpleasant for a few days. You will walk hunched over for a week or so. It gets progressively less annoying over the course of like a month. I imagine you may be able to use a trainer after a week or two if you're getting itchy to ride.

I did not have mesh inserted, and the surgery seems to have held up fine. In my case the hernia was quite small though, so ymmv. Good luck, hope it goes smoothly.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 09-22-21, 01:15 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Sounds like injuries all around. I'm still struggling with knee issues, patellofemoral stuff. I had a mini breakthrough yesterday on my ride when it started hurting 50 min in... I coasted a bit and just tugged around on my knee and it distinctly popped over to the inside, and my pain went away for another 10 min or so. This is sort of in line with all the muscle imbalance stuff I've been learning.

Also got me thinking that maybe I should try some Kinesio Tape... You know, the stuff you see the pros wearing. Maybe I need to warmup and then tape them in place before a ride. Kinda enthusiastic to try it.

In the mean team I've been swimming, and focusing on strengthening the inside (VMO) and stretching/foam rolling the outside... we'll get there.
I had patella pain for a while after ramping up my volume too quickly. Took like 6 months off (coincided with other reasons), focused on doing some squats and deadlifts, slowly reintroduced the bike and haven't had issues since. Maybe try some strength work?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.