Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A couple of things I dont understand

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A couple of things I dont understand

Old 09-21-21, 10:48 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You are assuming anything people do "suits" them (you/we really don't know).
If they've been doing it for years, that's a pretty safe assumption.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-21-21, 10:51 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
the idea that anyone would call a friend or spouse for help on a bike ride is a bit preposterous to me - i mean … whose time in the modern world is worth less than it costs to get a lyft? i suppose it’s possible if you were riding very far away, and had friends with nothing to do, and were a frugal sort. those people should carry what it takes to fix a flat.

but the idea that an hour or more of a friend or family member’s time is somehow worth either a) not bringing flat-fixing stuff or b) saving myself $25 is just crazy. we all live in slightly different worlds, i suppose.
I don't get wasting the time of other people instead of a bit of preparation either.

I don't even get the cost of ride over being able to fix a flat.
Old 09-21-21, 10:51 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
You'd think we'd have attracted a more intelligent crew of trolls by now .... but no .... we get second-rate hacks who quote what they are then deliberately misinterpreting, thereby showing their dishonesty without the intended targets of their ham-fisted failures at snark even having to reply.

it's just not fun when a chess player faces off against someone who has trouble with checkers.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-21-21, 10:54 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by WhyFi
If they've been doing it for years, that's a pretty safe assumption.
Not necessarily. Again, you are making assumptions. It might be OK for some of them.

There are people who ride on flat tires for years.
Old 09-21-21, 10:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
No one is shaming people for not changing their own flat?
You obviously don’t remember your own quotes in this very thread. Why I am not surprised.

“Of course, I wouldn't say that. I would say, "Cool, I hope you have cash but if not we can stop at an ATM, because I charge $25 per hour plus gas and mileage. Your mom might have rescued you when you were a kid, but the rest of us grew up, and it is about time you did too."

Good stuff

The guy he was addressing this to stated that he was capable of fixing the flat at the side of the road, but would choose to make his friend drive 25 miles to pick him up and another 25 miles to drop him off just so he didn't need to carry the pump and tubes.

I'm ok with shaming that attitude.

Yes, I think an experienced distance rider who isn't equipping themself for the obvious contingencies because they know their friend will allow themselves to get imposed upon is not acting like an adult should. Sue me.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-21-21, 11:19 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
It depends for me on which bike and which kind of tires. But generally, I estimate about 10-15 minutes to swap out the tube and reinflate. It's a lot shorter than the wait I can expect for the ride to get there.

What are the issues? Maybe some people on the thread know a trick or two that could help you. Mine is to slightly inflate the tube I'm putting on before I put the stem through the hole so it becomes obvious if the tube is getting pinched between the tire and the rim while I tuck in the tire. As you can see by my use of "technical" terms, I am definitely no mechanic, but I've gotten pretty good at this one thing out of necessity.
Ignoring the last issue which was that I could NOT unscrew the overly tightened through-axle - it needed some good shots with a heavy mallet (although, a suggestion to try the open, bottom end of the seat post will be something I investigate)...

It is getting the tire off and more so, getting the tire back on. It was quite the experience. Two of us struggled for 10-15 minutes trying. Yes, pinching the bead to the rim center was tried. Peeling the skin off the thumbs so blood could be a lubricant was also in the mix!!! Honestly, I've had the same issue in the comfort of my backyard. But there I walked away for 20 minutes and attacked it with renewed vigor. Yup, I probably need either new rims or tires. What I do find miraculous, like the parting of the Red Sea, is that sometimes, just like that, after struggling, it just pops into place.

And, yes, I do first pump up the spare tube to make sure it is good. I also add enough air to make it easier to deal with than a piece of overcooked spaghetti. I generally inflate, check bead, deflate and check again as I do the final pump up. Mostly it is the tire/rim struggle that can take time - always in the hot sun (remarkable in Seattle). Also with no good place to support the wheel while inflating. But I do fix flats when I can. The through-axle incident was a badly gashed tire and I just deferred to the bike shop when I got home for the new tire, new tube and their labor.

Imposing on friends is definitely a last resort and now I understand the AAA will come to my aid. I might have to try that! If nothing else, they would probably have had a mallet!
Old 09-21-21, 11:25 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by bowwow
There are much better things to do on the side of a road than fix a flat.
Self centered.

Your friends should have much better things to do than spend an hour of their time because you don't want to spend 15 minutes to fix a flat.

Anyway, how is waiting longer for a ride "a better thing to do" than spending 15 minutes doing something else?

Bizarre.

Does this mean I shouldn't call you if I need a ride?
You don't need a ride if you can fix a flat.
Old 09-21-21, 11:34 AM
njkayaker

A lot of bias going on here.
I am a poor bicycle mechanic but I have always been handy with home computers and I can’t tell you how many times I took time out to help a friend with a basic computer issue. Sometimes even stopping what I was doing to help out.
Should I not have?
Should I have instead insulted them and told them that they should have known how to manually configure a router 10 years ago?
Because that was pretty basic even back then so they should have known how to do it on their own.
BF road mechanic warriors are truly a pathetic lot
Flats are relatively regular occurrences.

Repeatedly fixing the same computer problem that your friends can learn fix themselves seems like a poor approach. For you and your friend.

My post was quite obviously towards all of the peeps in this thread complaining about having to help a friend.
No one was complaining about "having to help a friend" generally.

They were complaining about having to help somebody to do something they should be able to do themselves.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-21-21 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-21-21, 11:34 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
@kahn: Stuff happens.

One time (the time I broke a couple levers and almost broke my house key) I nearly called my wife. Thing is, she needs her sleep, she needs to take care of herself, she works hard and really long hours when she is on shift, so calling her is a last resort. If needed, sure .... if avoidable in any way .....

What I have done is to pay more attention and tried different techniques for getting tight tires off rims ... because there will be times when no one is going to be there no matter who I call, and when I am 25 miles from home, and wearing my road shoes with cleats which make walking uncomfortable and eventually painful. So I have been trying a bunch of things ..... but like yourself, when it really mattered I managed. (I never thought to try blood as a lubricant, though .... )

Sometimes life is not easy .... even for us spoiled Americas. Not as tough as it is for the children who only eat if they can find discarded food in the dumps they pick through, and whose drinking water comes out of muddy puddles, or sewers .... But mildly uncomfortable, to be sure.

Stuff like that burns karma and builds character. A little mild hardship should be appreciated if it cannot be conveniently avoided .... and if you pass it on to others, trust me, it will come back eventually anyway ..... and maybe multiplied. No free rides in this amusement park.

But sure .... there are times when calling for help is the smart thing to do. Those times are Not (IMO) when a person is just too lazy and selfish to lift a finger to help him/herself and would rather someone else does twice or three times the work on his./her behalf .....

Stuff like making sure a person hasn't done something crazy to my bike .... since I do my own work, that isn't an issue, but thanks you, because i will remember that and maybe check some stuff I might not have .... I understand that I often have to pay for my education.

Funny though ... it is so often hot sun with no shade, no shoulder, or long grass full of predators and biting insects ... or it is raining, wat night, with no streetlights, in long grass full of predators and insects, adjacent to a mosquito breeding ground .... Whenever I get a flat on a long straight road with lots of shade and places to rest the bike, people slow down and ask if I need help. When I need help there are no people ... only biting insects and worse.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-21-21, 11:40 AM
bowwow

Bikes: Miyata, Bridgestone, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Self centered.

Your friends should have much better things to do than spend an hour of their time because you don't want to spend 15 minutes to fix a flat.

Anyway, how is waiting longer for a ride "a better thing to do" than spending 15 minutes doing something else?

Bizarre.

You don't need a ride if you can fix a flat.
It's quite simple, I don't like getting my hands dirty. Bicycle repair on the side of the road is dirty business, especially if one must touch the chain, ewe.

I would much rather do some reading, enjoy nature, take a nap. While I could call AAA road service, I would much prefer the good company of a friend on the ride home. Any friend who I called would know that the ride back would be most enjoyable. A stop for steak and ale would be typical, although there are many other activities that we, as friends, may engage in.

Iḿ somewhat surprised at your, and others, lack of imagination. Try to look at the bright side of things, you'll enjoy life more. Pretty sure of it
Old 09-21-21, 11:49 AM
WhyFi

Not necessarily. Again, you are making assumptions.
Yes, I'm making the assumption that they're not completely stupid. I'll reserve that assumption of present company, if it makes you feel any better.
Old 09-21-21, 11:54 AM
njkayaker

Yes, I'm making the assumption that they're not completely stupid. I'll reserve that assumption of present company, if it makes you feel any better.
Whoosh. Missing the point.
Old 09-21-21, 11:55 AM
WhyFi

Maybe having an excuse to spend some time with him/her *is* a good use of their time. Based on the back-and-forth here, I can see how you might not be able to cultivate the same kinds of friendships and would find that odd.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-21-21, 11:57 AM
WhyFi

Whoosh. Missing the point.
Yes, you are. Myopia often has that affect.
Old 09-21-21, 11:59 AM
njkayaker

Maybe having an excuse to spend some time with him/her *is* a good use of their time.
Possibly but not likely.

Based on the back-and-forth here, I can see how you might not be able to cultivate the same kinds of friendships and would find that odd.
I didn't realize that people here were required to agree with dumb things you say.
Old 09-21-21, 12:02 PM
bowwow

Flats are relatively regular occurrences.

Repeatedly fixing the same computer problem that your friends can learn fix themselves seems like a poor approach. For you and your friend.

No one was complaining about "having to help a friend" generally.

They were complaining about having to help somebody to do something they should be able to do themselves.
Nope, flats are not regular occurrences. Since I started using more expensive puncture-resistant tires, I very rarely get flats.

If flats are that much a problem for you, I would suggest looking into new tires. Yuge difference!
Old 09-21-21, 12:08 PM
bowwow

No, it means that if you deliberately refuse to take steps so you don't "need" the ride, we think you're imposing on your friends for really lousy reasons.

You presented that as some sort of principled stand and sorry, you're describing jerk behavior -- "you need to give me a ride because I'm tired of changing flats at roadside " is something you should be ashamed of, but you've stated it defiantly.
Show your friends this thread and ask for their honest feelings about this. I dare you.
Nonsense. Not even a smile.
Old 09-21-21, 12:11 PM
WhyFi

I didn't realize that people here were required to agree with dumb things you say.
That's a nice non-sequitur.

I was unsubscribed when you first quoted me, bored with the nonsense of the thread. Since it's clear that you can offer neither a logical argument nor entertainment value, I'll take my leave and unsub again. Ta ta.
Old 09-21-21, 12:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by kahn
Ignoring the last issue which was that I could NOT unscrew the overly tightened through-axle - it needed some good shots with a heavy mallet (although, a suggestion to try the open, bottom end of the seat post will be something I investigate)...

It is getting the tire off and more so, getting the tire back on. It was quite the experience. Two of us struggled for 10-15 minutes trying. Yes, pinching the bead to the rim center was tried. Peeling the skin off the thumbs so blood could be a lubricant was also in the mix!!! Honestly, I've had the same issue in the comfort of my backyard. But there I walked away for 20 minutes and attacked it with renewed vigor. Yup, I probably need either new rims or tires. What I do find miraculous, like the parting of the Red Sea, is that sometimes, just like that, after struggling, it just pops into place.

And, yes, I do first pump up the spare tube to make sure it is good. I also add enough air to make it easier to deal with than a piece of overcooked spaghetti. I generally inflate, check bead, deflate and check again as I do the final pump up. Mostly it is the tire/rim struggle that can take time - always in the hot sun (remarkable in Seattle). Also with no good place to support the wheel while inflating. But I do fix flats when I can. The through-axle incident was a badly gashed tire and I just deferred to the bike shop when I got home for the new tire, new tube and their labor.

Imposing on friends is definitely a last resort and now I understand the AAA will come to my aid. I might have to try that! If nothing else, they would probably have had a mallet!

Let me guess, Continental tires? They're notorious for being difficult in this way. I've gotten used to it, but Schwalbe are definitely easier.

What are you using for tire levers?

Slashed tire is definitely a different question than replacing a tube.

I've had situations where I couldn't fix the problem at the side of the road due to unforeseen circumstance (like getting hit by a car), and it sounds like you do what you can to avoid imposing on your friends. You've taken the through axle experience as a lesson learned, no doubt, which is what reasonable people do.

I hope some of this is helpful.
Old 09-21-21, 12:22 PM
bowwow

Let me guess, Continental tires? They're notorious for being difficult in this way. I've gotten used to it, but Schwalbe are definitely easier.

What are you using for tire levers?

Slashed tire is definitely a different question than replacing a tube.

I've had situations where I couldn't fix the problem at the side of the road due to unforeseen circumstance (like getting hit by a car), and it sounds like you do what you can to avoid imposing on your friends. You've taken the through axle experience as a lesson learned, no doubt, which is what reasonable people do.

I hope some of this is helpful.
Why is a slashed tire any different? If you are going to be prepared, should you not have a spare tire with you? Or, are you going to call someone to rescue you??? Just saying...
Old 09-21-21, 12:32 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
It's quite simple, I don't like getting my hands dirty. Bicycle repair on the side of the road is dirty business
If flats are that much a problem for you, I would suggest looking into new tires.
If dirty hands are that much of a problem for you, I would suggest looking into a new sport. Like knitting.
Old 09-21-21, 12:37 PM
bowwow

Originally Posted by Rolla
If dirty hands are that much of a problem for you, I would suggest looking into a new sport. Like knitting.
Dirty hands are not a problem, as long as I don't have to touch those filthy tires!
Old 09-21-21, 12:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Lets clarify. Are you really saying that if you get a flat tire 25mi from home, you would rather call someone and make them get you, instead of just carrying a tube plus levers and inflation?
yes!
Why is a slashed tire any different? If you are going to be prepared, should you not have a spare tire with you? Or, are you going to call someone to rescue you??? Just saying...

1) Size of tire vs. size of tube. I can carry about 3 tubes, maybe 4 in the space it would take me to carry a tire.

2) Also, likelihood of the mishap. I ride several thousand miles per year, even with "puncture proof" tires, I'll blow a tube or three every year. It's been decades (if ever) since I had a tire blow out so bad I couldn't make it work for a few miles.

I also ride in a lot of places where cell phone coverage is non-existent, so I'd be an idiot not to be prepared for a tube failure, which is something I've had occur a few times.

BTW, sounds like most of your aversion to changing tires roadside could be alleviated by packing a pair of shop gloves. Just sayin....

I'm really skeptical that your friends will appreciate the 50 mile round trip, but whatever.
Old 09-21-21, 12:58 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I don't like getting my hands dirty.
Dirty hands are not a problem
Bicycle repair on the side of the road is dirty business, especially if one must touch the chain
as long as I don't have to touch those filthy tires
Maybe you should rehearse your schtick a few times before your next performance.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-21-21, 01:05 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Whose tire do I have to pump to get a moderator to lock this thread???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.