Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Being harassed while riding the roads

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Being harassed while riding the roads

Old 03-28-21, 03:57 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
A mirror from a Dually is what left my friend in a wheel chair and almost a vegetable. Wear a go pro and record your rides.
Old 03-28-21, 04:13 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
No gun talk on Bike Forums.
Are you referring to the decal the OP mentioned?
Old 03-28-21, 04:16 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
The definition of assault varies by jurisdiction, but is generally defined as intentionally putting another person in reasonable apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact. Physical injury is not required.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 03-28-21, 04:55 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Are you referring to the decal the OP mentioned?
No, bruce19. In this instance we are referring to comments that have been deleted.

Old 03-28-21, 04:58 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
The definition of assault varies by jurisdiction, but is generally defined as intentionally putting another person in reasonable apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact. Physical injury is not required.
The mirror has a 50/50 at meeting the criteria. The other events are more of being accosted.
Old 03-28-21, 05:27 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
We can be assured the media will cover it as an “accident” if they do decide to run you off the road or worse.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 03-28-21, 06:02 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Not much.

Legally for it to be assault you only have to believe you were being threatened with bodily harm. The perpetrator doesn't even have to touch you or even take a swing at you.

But thick skin helps with any situation. Particularly with verbal rage and times you skid on the asphalt after a wreck.
So if they yell... "GET ON THE SIDEWALK" you'd consider that assault? Good luck finding a DA to prosecute that.
Old 03-28-21, 06:52 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
"Sticks and Stones. . ." At one time I was a yeller and let loose hoping for a confrontation. I went as far as switching to SPD on one bike so I could square off.
Intentional close passes and the j-hook turns that force evasive actions are of course harassment.

I came to the conclusion that going to jail for murdering a driver was not a good idea. It only takes one good strike to kill someone. I do not want that on my conscience.

So I mellowed and now accept that 1% of drivers are truly evil and to focus on the 99% that are polite and considerate of cyclists.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-28-21, 07:33 PM
EchoOne
Activation Required

Bikes: Temporary walmart something

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
In 2007, I was cycling on a 25 mph road in a somewhat industrial area. Never busy which is why I took that route instead of another road 2 blocks up.
I felt push of air from the mirror of a work van. I was coming up to a red light... already stopping.
His mirror just missed me by 2 inches. I had to contort myself around the mirror to look at him through the passenger side widow. He was on his phone.
I pounded on the window. I think I may have scared him a little, but he still glared at me.
Light turned green and he took off.
Van had a "how's my driving" sticker on the back
😁😁😁😁!

Needless to say, I spoke to a very nice gentleman on the phone.
I passed the business he pulled into, looked like where he worked.

I hope he got a massive lecture!
Likes For EchoOne:
Old 03-28-21, 09:35 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
i have had bottles thrown at me, half empty gig gulps, i think the best one was the fire extinguisher hose down, some of those things can really blast you. don't care, suffering too much already.

also had girls flash me, that's a funny one when you cruise up next to them at the red light and they sink into the seat and turn purple,

one night on my way to the liquor store somebody in a black SUV screamed at me to get a light,

nobody gets away with that when i'm juiced, so i u turned and sprinted til i saw him pull in his complex and park, then i banged on his quarter panel real loud and sprinted away, he gets in and starts a high speed chase screaming 'im an off duty police officer, pull over!' after a couple of quick u turns i hid behind the dumpster at my complex. i sat on the balcony and watched that cop cruise up and down sierra vista ave real slow, for two hours. a cop always gets his man. but not in this case. he knew that i knew where he lived, but he did not know where i lived, thus putting me in the drivers seat.

Greg LeMond moved from California to Minnesota after some yay-hoo took a pot shot at him and a bunch of other pros out on a training ride near jackson ca. guess the guy thought they were taking up too much room. you think Greg might have had a little ptsd toward shotguns at that juncture in his life?

Last edited by cjenrick; 03-28-21 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-29-21, 05:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,285 Times in 7,226 Posts
Originally Posted by EchoOne
In 2007, I was cycling on a 25 mph road in a somewhat industrial area. Never busy which is why I took that route instead of another road 2 blocks up.
I felt push of air from the mirror of a work van. I was coming up to a red light... already stopping.
His mirror just missed me by 2 inches. I had to contort myself around the mirror to look at him through the passenger side widow. He was on his phone.
I pounded on the window. I think I may have scared him a little, but he still glared at me.
😁😁😁😁!

Heh. I called the employer of a truck driver who almost hit me while I was riding to work. He also told me to go eff my mother. The guy I spoke with was appreciative and also said “I’m not surprised.” Clearly, there had been trouble with the employee before. I had described him very well, right down to the cap he was wearing.
Old 03-29-21, 05:48 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Originally Posted by EchoOne
😁😁😁😁!

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Heh. I called the employer of a truck driver who almost hit me while I was riding to work. He also told me to go eff my mother. The guy I spoke with was appreciative and also said “I’m not surprised.” Clearly, there had been trouble with the employee before. I had described him very well, right down to the cap he was wearing.
I've called employers a few times after being right-hooked or nearly sideswiped by commercial drivers...and had varying results. I've also memorized a license plate number and called the police to ask them to have a chat with a driver, and they obliged me.

My fave story: my friend Ed, who got me into cycling long ago, is a longtime rider and bike commuter. Back in the '70s, he would ride to work with a large, heavy lock and chain over his shoulder and across his chest, like a bandolier. One morning, a driver did something egregiously dangerous and yelled at my friend. At the next red light, Ed caught up to the motorist, and as he rode up to the light, he pulled off the chain and swung it around his head like a lasso, then smacked it right into the car's right rear fender (doing some damage) before speeding away on a side street.
Old 03-29-21, 06:04 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Having travelled abroad to work in small few weeks longs chunks to Europe totaling about 4 months in a few years.........I sometimes question my choice of country of residence if this will continue to be a hobby.

While the attitude of "forget you, I've got mine" is typical in the US for most anything, the roads thing is that the US expanded rapidly after the advent of the motor vehicle. So a vast amount of communities developed around the car, not the bike or horse or walker.

Our company's headquarters is in Denmark with a facility in France......maybe I need to rethink things.
Old 03-29-21, 06:10 AM
m2244

Bikes: Felt Breed 30

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233

Yesterday a big truck PURPOSELY just missed me with his mirror!!!! Missed my head by 6 inches! I couldn’t get his plate....but it had a HUGE AR-15 decal across the back window.....so when I find him, it’s not going to be pretty.
I hope this doesn't get me in trouble with the moderators but I think the redneck situation in this country is getting out of control. Looking forward to the day science can eliminate this gene from the human race!
Likes For m2244:
Old 03-29-21, 06:15 AM
m2244

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Having travelled abroad to work in small few weeks longs chunks to Europe totaling about 4 months in a few years.........I sometimes question my choice of country of residence if this will continue to be a hobby.
You're not alone, many people are questioning life in the US these days. My wife and I are tentatively planning on moving to Spain once I retire, at least for a while. Between the political climate and the redneck problem, what's to love anymore?

Last edited by m2244; 03-29-21 at 06:48 AM.
Likes For m2244:
Old 03-29-21, 06:15 AM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by m2244
I hope this doesn't get me in trouble with the moderators but I think the redneck situation in this country is getting out of control. Looking forward to the day science can eliminate this gene from the human race!
That remark directed at me....or the guy with the AR-15 decal? Or both?
Likes For GBK233:
Old 03-29-21, 06:27 AM
m2244

Originally Posted by GBK233
That remark directed at me....or the guy with the AR-15 decal? Or both?
Directed at the AR-15 enthusiast in the pick-em up truck. Definitely supporting your argument.
Old 03-29-21, 06:52 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
You're not alone, any people are questioning life in the US these days. My wife and I are tentatively planning on moving to Spain once I retire, at least for a while. Between the political climate and the redneck problem, what's to love anymore?
Don't get me wrong, I love my country. Lots of good things here.

Just a pairing of priorities I guess.

Also I love Euro food. On our France work trip the engineers and technicians took us for lunch at a lady's house down the street. She lived there but converted the front patio to hold a few tables. I had kidneys with onions and mushrooms au vin. I was the last American to order. The French guy's faces lit up and they were like "we'll have that too if there is any left!!!".

Also, my only interaction with a motor vehicle while in France was climbing something in Alsace where the car slowed and they egged me on to give it some more effort. Not satisfied until I was out of the saddle headed up as they pulled away slapping the sides of the car yelling allez. About the most stereotypical positive cycling experience you could have.

If I stay in the US forever, I'd likely retire to a small home off some gravel climbing in the NC mountains near some good riding.
Old 03-29-21, 07:01 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
My wife and I debated what constitutes a close pass just this weekend. We both ride on roads regularly and exclusively.

The scenario was a straight, undulating, single lane road with no shoulder. Double yellow center stripe with a speed limit 45 mph and I'm driving. There are no other cars. As we approach a solo rider (who is keeping a nice smooth line just within the fog line), I coast to slow to 30 mph and give him about 3 feet and pass and then begin to accelerate again. Smooth.

My wife comments that I passed too closely, and that I should have moved into the oncoming lane (partially) to give him more room, as an unforeseen piece of debris or stone might've caused him to lurch sideways at the wrong moment. We continued to debate this for the next 5 minutes down the road, alternatively taking the viewpoint of both the rider and the driver. Neither of us yielded in the end.

I wonder what the solo rider thought about it. Likely nothing...

EDIT: To the OP, in 45+ years of riding, I've never been harassed as you just described. Maybe some changes for you are in order?
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-29-21, 07:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,285 Times in 7,226 Posts
Some kids in a convertible threw candy at me while I was riding on a very wide shoulder while minding my own business and not obstructing traffic in any way. Had nothing to do with anything I was doing. Had a bottle thrown at me under the same conditions. Decades ago a guy reached out a car window and slapped my then GF on the ass.
Old 03-29-21, 07:36 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by burnthesheep

Also, my only interaction with a motor vehicle while in France was climbing something in Alsace where the car slowed and they egged me on to give it some more effort. Not satisfied until I was out of the saddle headed up as they pulled away slapping the sides of the car yelling allez. About the most stereotypical positive cycling experience you could have.
I've probably had even more positive interactions (like yours) than negative. Just the other day, while riding one of my regular routes, I passed some road construction about ten miles from my home. A pickup had stopped for the construction, and the driver leaned out his window and said "You're making good time! I passed you on the hill coming out of town." We had a nice chat for a few moments. And now, if I have a breakdown out there, and this guy drives by, I'd bet twenty bucks that he'll offer me a ride home.

I've also had motorists cheer me on while climbing, had plenty of people stop to offer help while I am fixing punctured tires, and made some friends out in farm country when I've stopped to ask some question about farming, or maple sap collection, or whatever.

On a couple occasions, people have given me (and my bike) rides home after major mechanicals or (once I can recall) a nasty crash. Most people are actually pretty nice.

Last edited by cb400bill; 03-30-21 at 02:21 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-29-21, 07:38 AM
m2244

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Decades ago a guy reached out a car window and slapped my then GF on the ass.
Let's be honest, this thought has crossed the minds of many men. (Yes, actually doing it is not cool, mostly for safety reasons, respect, etc. Just making a joke here.)
Old 03-29-21, 08:29 AM
Koyote

Let's be honest, this thought has crossed the minds of many men. (Yes, actually doing it is not cool, mostly for safety reasons, respect, etc. Just making a joke here.)
It's never crossed my mind, and I've never heard a friend express the desire. But you do you.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-29-21, 08:45 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
If you can say that, the opposite of your red neck is the snotty liberals in their Lexus, Mercedes, and other high priced foreign cars that ALWAYS think they have the right of way. Is there an entitled snotty gene?

Oh and this goes double if the high priced foreign car is driven by a young woman.

Last edited by rydabent; 03-31-21 at 08:47 AM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 03-29-21, 08:48 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
You're not alone, many people are questioning life in the US these days. My wife and I are tentatively planning on moving to Spain once I retire, at least for a while. Between the political climate and the redneck problem, what's to love anymore?
You may need a little education here. The term red neck was first applied to union coal miners.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.