Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2 battery failure

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Di2 battery failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-21, 03:59 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 367 Posts
Di2 battery failure

The Di2 on our gravel tandem just stopped working dead as a door nail. It wouldn’t shift, wouldn’t link to Garmin; wouldn’t display any lights on the junction box; wouldn’t charge, or even register that it was on the charger. I checked all the connections and they were all good.

it had randomly stopped shifting once before, but started working again.

It appears to be a battery failure. I swapped out a battery from another bike and it works fine again. Odd thing is the battery is only 1 year old, was well charged, and never showed any signs of aging, such as draining fast, or not holding a charge. Any one else expereince a sudden random battery failure?

Makes me think on an extended trip that carrying a spare wouldn’t be a bad idea.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-25-21, 05:51 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
They are generally pretty reliable for a few years. Mine is 3 now and not showing any issues of premature discharge. I expected to need to replace about now, am not going to. I also wouldn't bother with a spare. You might contact Shimano, it could be a bad battery, who knows maybe they'll replace it.
Old 08-25-21, 06:00 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Sounds like a failure of the battery. Very rare. I've got an original 10-speed Di2 bike that's going on 6 or so years of use and the battery is fine.

But more importantly, WE NEED TO SEE PHOTOS OF THIS GRAVEL TANDEM! 😃
Old 08-25-21, 07:46 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,721 Times in 1,005 Posts
A buddy of mine had this happen on a new bike last year that was only 3 months old. Shimano has 2 yr warranty on the batteries.

Old 08-26-21, 02:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Do you have a SM-BCR2 or whatever came with it? If you load eTube project on your computer and hook everything up then it will tell you what Di2 stuff it sees. Whatever is missing might be bad, or the last show component in the daisy chain of components might be a bad connection to the next.

You've had this long enough to have gone through several battery charges and know that you are doing it right? Di2 doesn't like low amperage chargers.
Old 08-26-21, 03:17 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dead battery but thank you for reminding me to charge mine. I haven't worked this task into my individual consciousness when working on my bike. New habit to incorporate.
Old 08-27-21, 04:12 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 713 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Do you have a SM-BCR2 or whatever came with it? If you load eTube project on your computer and hook everything up then it will tell you what Di2 stuff it sees. Whatever is missing might be bad, or the last show component in the daisy chain of components might be a bad connection to the next.

You've had this long enough to have gone through several battery charges and know that you are doing it right? Di2 doesn't like low amperage chargers.

Haven’t checked it on the computer, but it went from 40% charge to dead as a door nail, and it works fine when I switched out the battery. So pretty sure it’s a battery failure.

it does appear to be a fairly low likelihood event. I’ve got 3 bikes with Di2. First one I replaced the battery at 5 years, not because it was failing, but to get a new battery capable of a firmware upgrade. Second bike is 3 years old and going strong. Ironically, the newest battery failed at 1 year, just luck of the draw.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-27-21, 04:20 PM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
I have 2 11 speed Di2 bikes and have never had an issue either. One battery is 3+ years old and the other 5+. Both bikes are stored in the garage which routinely hits 115 degrees durning the summer. They’ve held surprisingly well for me, at least.
Old 08-28-21, 06:47 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
With 12s Di2 on the horizon, is it time to stock up on the 11s parts? Though perhaps the battery will be the same?
Old 08-28-21, 10:14 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
We have 2 DI2 bikes and the Ultegra battery failed at just over a year. For some reason the DA has better battery life even after replacing the bad battery.
Old 08-28-21, 11:21 AM
look566 rider

Bikes: Waterford R33, 2019 Infinito, Gunnar Roadie, 1999 Colnago Tecnos, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800 & '51 Rudge Sports, Colnago Tecnos, Tom Kellogg Merlin..

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 41 Posts
Sorry about battery issues...

Further confirmation (for me) that a bike should be totally mechanical without reliance on electricity to do simple tasks. Not trying to start any garbage.
Old 08-28-21, 11:37 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Sorry to hear about your dead battery but thank you for reminding me to charge mine. I haven't worked this task into my individual consciousness when working on my bike. New habit to incorporate.
I charge mine once it gets to blinking green. That's under 50% charge. I used to wait until solid red, 25% charge. But I don't check every ride, and twice ran it down enough to stop the front derailleur from shifting.
I got a new battery after 5 years. The old one still worked, but I had to charge it weekly, and decided it was time.

I didn't push in the connector all the way, so nothing worked at first. There's a slight click with no electric connection yet, then a stronger second click after using a bit more force.
~~~~
Longevity!
I got the bike in Sept 2014, Ultegra Di2 with the seatpost battery. It's now been at least 31,000 miles.
Both derailleurs are still precise, with no pivot wear to make it sloppy shifting.
The shifter buttons still work perfectly.

I'm actually surprised it still runs like new.

Last edited by rm -rf; 08-28-21 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-28-21, 06:23 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by look566 rider

Further confirmation (for me) that a bike should be totally mechanical without reliance on electricity to do simple tasks. Not trying to start any garbage.
Then why post this?
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-31-21, 02:03 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Then why post this?
Because he wants to start some garbage?

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 08-31-21, 02:52 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
With 12s Di2 on the horizon, is it time to stock up on the 11s parts? Though perhaps the battery will be the same?
12s batteries are different as they also act as a junction box but I would "guess" they would be compatible with older systems... but the specifics are to be determined.

Old 08-31-21, 02:56 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Generally - unplug the battery from the system for 5-10 minutes. Plug it back into the system then attach the cable to a computer and run etube for a system check. See if it recognizes the battery and if so if there is a firmware update. Sometimes when those batteries fall too low the charger won't even recognize them or charge.

IIRC there was a "bad" batch - meaning I have heard of some from a particular point in time that seemed to have issues and were replaced. That said I have no specific data on that. Batteries with them don't really fail often . Bring a spare on your trip as insurance if it makes you feel better. Have your shop call shimano. They will most likely warranty it but the problem now is availability.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 09-01-21, 08:19 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by look566 rider

I agree with this.
Old 09-01-21, 09:38 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The Di2 on our gravel tandem just stopped working dead as a door nail. It wouldn’t shift, wouldn’t link to Garmin; wouldn’t display any lights on the junction box; wouldn’t charge, or even register that it was on the charger. I checked all the connections and they were all good.

it had randomly stopped shifting once before, but started working again.

It appears to be a battery failure. I swapped out a battery from another bike and it works fine again. Odd thing is the battery is only 1 year old, was well charged, and never showed any signs of aging, such as draining fast, or not holding a charge. Any one else expereince a sudden random battery failure?

Makes me think on an extended trip that carrying a spare wouldn’t be a bad idea.
Not on my end.

It's the first time I hear of a DI2 battery failure. These things are built like tanks and usually last for a long time. Have you tried calling shimano to see if they can do something about it?