Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Old 05-27-19, 10:03 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Not just a triathlete thing. I've been running 165s on my road bike the last 3 years. Won't ever go back to anything longer.
how tall are you?
Old 05-28-19, 05:10 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
how tall are you?
5'11
Old 05-28-19, 06:31 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I think it's time. The cockpit on the TT bike needs to go. I can keep the extensions, shifters......but the stem and base bar and pads are pointless. It's about as aero as a brick. That old 5:1 ratio HED bar is literally a rectangle. It's not rounded off hardly at all on the front. Sooooo aero.

Also, since it is a home hack job, there is zero adjustability.

I'm going to buy a shorter stem and figure out what kind of low stack, affordable, and halfway aero cockpit I can do.

If the bars clip on, aka aren't integrated, I feel they can probably get lower stack.

The evolution of TT/tri cockpits seems to have been to reduce stack in the head tube and headsets but add it back in the risers under the arm pads.

Notice how all the super bikes have that stem perfectly in line with the top tube these days but have like some 3" of risers under the pads.

Not sure what the idea is there in that evolution. But, it means an "integrated" bar and riser/pads kind of deal won't really work too well for me as the stack will be too high.

Also, I'm kinda sketched out these days by the modifications to my crap old HED base bar I had done. It's also super uncomfortable on the bull bars.
Old 05-28-19, 07:55 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
The tech behind the stem perfectly aligned with the top tube is to reduce the frontal area. Drag force equals frontal area times the drag coefficient.
Old 06-09-19, 10:44 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I'm sure this has been asked and answered a thousand times, but what computers are people liking these days?

Does anyone really use the programned workout features of the 520 Plus, or the intelligent rerouting?

I need Ant+ obviously, I'll likely have the Favaro pedals soon, Duo. I plan my routes in the house. Always have a phone with me.

Strava live segments would be fun, but just telling me they're coming up and where they start would be sufficient. I do intervals and stuff, but never really had too much trouble remembering them in the past, although occasionally in the fog I'd forget something, or miss a rep.

I'm thinking either Edge 130, Edge 520, Edge 520 Plus, or either of the smaller Wahoo (bolt or mini I think).

Thoughts? Track and mountain aren't happening right now, but hopefully will again, so I'll need speed sensor for the track and likely mountain if that matters. HR as well.
Old 06-09-19, 02:52 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I love the massive size of the Garmin 1000: I can see things quicker so I glance down less. My wife has the 520, which I wouldn't recommend. The button interface is terrible and frustrating, I'd probably go with a Wahoo for that price point.
Old 06-09-19, 04:17 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by furiousferret
I love the massive size of the Garmin 1000: I can see things quicker so I glance down less. My wife has the 520, which I wouldn't recommend. The button interface is terrible and frustrating, I'd probably go with a Wahoo for that price point.
For the size of the 1030 I feel like I'd just use my phone, it's free. I guess battery life isn't as good though?

I feel like the Wahoo smartphone programming sounds nice, but I'm really kind of a set it and forget it guy on bike computers, maybe that'll change with a newer computer with maps and apps though and I'll get frustrated.
Old 06-09-19, 06:18 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Went from a garmin 500 to a wahoo elmnt a few years ago. Huge step up in usability and reliability. The new Roam is kinda cool, but not sure it's worth the extra over the Bolt.

I use my suunto watch for everything that is non-raod / gravel biking. I like having it on my wrist for mtbing so it doesn't distract me and won't get damaged with an out front mount in a tumble.
Old 06-09-19, 07:04 PM
Flatballer
No matches

I'll be coming from a powertap LYC, so everything will be a huge step up, even your old 500, lol.

Unfortunately I probably need to wait until August to keep riding to justify a new computer and the power pedals, since my wheel isn't ANT+ I can't really upgrade separately, needs to be the full $1000 at once.
Old 06-10-19, 06:36 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I have a PC8. Yes, it's pricey, and yes, it doesn't have many bells and whistles, but I like it. It's easy to use and the screen is huge and easy to see.

My wife went from an Edge 500 to 510 to 530 to the Bolt. She will likely never use another Garmin product.
Old 06-10-19, 08:30 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Man, Garmin is taking a beating in here. I'm glad I asked.

The more I read about the ELMENTTNTNENE Bolt the more I like it.
Old 06-10-19, 09:00 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I've an Elemnt Bolt. Not the new color one, original. It works fine.

I don't miss not having "reroute" as you have no guarantee that where a gps reroutes you on a bike is a worthy street or road for a bike to be on. It may dump you on some super busy local street with zero shoulder and curb parked cars waiting to door you.

I do enough "recon" in Strava/Google Maps ahead of time of routes to have confidence in where I'm going.

I made it through parts of France I'd never been to just fine with a Wahoo without route redirection.
Old 06-10-19, 09:32 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I've an Elemnt Bolt. Not the new color one, original. It works fine.

I don't miss not having "reroute" as you have no guarantee that where a gps reroutes you on a bike is a worthy street or road for a bike to be on. It may dump you on some super busy local street with zero shoulder and curb parked cars waiting to door you.

I do enough "recon" in Strava/Google Maps ahead of time of routes to have confidence in where I'm going.

I made it through parts of France I'd never been to just fine with a Wahoo without route redirection.
They seem to be very, very good at adding functionality through software updates too.

I keep reading reviews that say "only missing true turn by turn and planned workouts" but then they've added it since.

There's a bunch of updates of big important stuff and lots of smaller nit picky stuff. I kinda like the LEDs on the top too for turns and interval pacing and stuff.
Old 06-11-19, 01:40 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I'll be coming from a powertap LYC, so everything will be a huge step up, even your old 500, lol.

Unfortunately I probably need to wait until August to keep riding to justify a new computer and the power pedals, since my wheel isn't ANT+ I can't really upgrade separately, needs to be the full $1000 at once.
I just switched from my powertap yellow head unit to a Garmin 520. The powertap interface and features are way better than garmin. Things like auto ride start/stop at stoplights, and explicitly having to 'save' or 'discard' a ride. Also, the powertap is easy to cycle through display items (watts, avg watts, 20 min peak watts etc...), with the garmin I can't do this while riding.

Of course the garmin shows speed when I don't have my PT wheel on, which is the main reason to switch., but the interface of the Garmin 520 is so clunky I wouldn't buy another.
Old 06-11-19, 01:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
You'll get my Garmin 500 when you pry it out of my cold, dead hands. (Or when it bricks, whatever comes first....)
Old 06-11-19, 06:59 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Perhaps I'm going about this power meter thing wrong.

I eventually want pedal based because I will likely eventually get back to riding track, and probably buy a TT bike at some point.

However, what I want right now is a new computer so I can stop taping up cue sheets and sliding them under my bibs, plus HR and GPS and live Strava would be fun.

My current meter is an ancient powertap from before they could be upgraded to ANT+, which holds me back from adding heart rate or a new computer.

If you were just looking for the cheapest ANT+ power meter, used or new, what would you look for?
Old 06-11-19, 08:05 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I'd go with a more recent Powertap hub, used. IMHO, the single-sided pedal power meters depend too much on the assumption that your power is evenly divided between legs. Dual-sided pedals and crank-based PMs might be more than you're willing to spend at this time.

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-12-19, 06:36 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Used SRMs are getting cheaper and cheaper. So, that is where I would start.

If you want to go new and want pedals, the Favero Assimo has received decent reviews.
Old 06-12-19, 06:57 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Yeah, I think that's my problem. The Assioma Duo is only $650, for true left right, pedal based, rechargeable, easy install and swap, and getting really good reviews. That's the one I've been targeting most likely.

I'm not going to find much used for under $300. And at that point, it just doesn't seem worth saving the money to just change later.

I have the go-ahead from my wife for my birthday in early August if I continue riding until then, so I should probably just wait until then and get what I really want. I'm just impatient and like gear.
Old 06-12-19, 07:59 AM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cmh
I just switched from my powertap yellow head unit to a Garmin 520. The powertap interface and features are way better than garmin. Things like auto ride start/stop at stoplights, and explicitly having to 'save' or 'discard' a ride. Also, the powertap is easy to cycle through display items (watts, avg watts, 20 min peak watts etc...), with the garmin I can't do this while riding.

Of course the garmin shows speed when I don't have my PT wheel on, which is the main reason to switch., but the interface of the Garmin 520 is so clunky I wouldn't buy another.
You can do all of those things with a Garmin.
Garmin has auto-pause based on a minimum speed.
I believe you have to confirm before discarding a stopped ride.
The 520 is touch screen with multiple 'pages' that can be swiped left or right to change.

I'm not a Garmin fan anymore, though. Just wanted to note you can do those things.
I had a Garmin 500, then 510. Both gave me enough fits that when Garmin finally cycled me up to the new 520 I just sold it and moved to Stages Dash.
Old 06-12-19, 08:32 AM
Flatballer
No matches

It seems that's one of the biggest issues with Garmin overall from what I'm reading. Things are possible it's just that the user interface and user experience are so messy and complicated that nobody can figure it out, or gets frustrated even if it works eventually.
Old 06-12-19, 12:48 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
IMO that wasn't the case at all.
The interface itself was fine and relatively easy to use.

My issues were underlying.
I had a 500 that largely worked just fine. I would sometimes randomly just factory reset on me. I broke it in a crash.
I got it replaced for cheap by Garmin, but I ordered a 510 since I didn't want to wait for the RMA process.
The 510 had _regular_ factory resets out of nowhere. Like every handful of rides I would power it on and all of my settings/sensors were gone.
I learned to live with it until it just started refusing to sync GPS. So I RMA'd.
RMA 510 worked fine, then suddenly factory reset issue started after a firmware update. Then it started having GPS issues.
Got Garmin to RMA the second 510 and replace it with a 520. I sold it immediately.

I've since moved on to Stages Dash. I have two (one dedicated to my indoor bike) and they have been flawless. Not a single issue since I bought them.
My only complaint is that they never released the mapping features they promised. But I give them a pass on that as they realized it simply didn't have the horsepower and didn't want to shove a crappy feature it that would suck. (Hint: Garmin, fix the core features before releasing dozens more...)
I have a Stages Dash M50 arriving today. It has all of the promised features of the original Dash and more. Time will tell if it stands up to the quality of the original.
Old 06-12-19, 01:13 PM
cmh

Originally Posted by ancker
You can do all of those things with a Garmin.
Garmin has auto-pause based on a minimum speed.
I believe you have to confirm before discarding a stopped ride.
The 520 is touch screen with multiple 'pages' that can be swiped left or right to change.

I'm not a Garmin fan anymore, though. Just wanted to note you can do those things.
I had a Garmin 500, then 510. Both gave me enough fits that when Garmin finally cycled me up to the new 520 I just sold it and moved to Stages Dash.
I probably have the 510, not the 520. I think I got the model number wrong. And maybe you can do more than I know how, but I haven't figured it out yet.
Old 06-12-19, 01:16 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cmh
I probably have the 510, not the 520. I think I got the model number wrong. And maybe you can do more than I know how, but I haven't figured it out yet.
You can do it easily with the 510 as well. Multiple pages with metrics, a side button lets you cycle through them. Auto-pause under X-mph, etc.
But either way. It's not helpful if you can't figure it out.
Old 06-12-19, 03:16 PM
cmh

Originally Posted by ancker
You can do it easily with the 510 as well. Multiple pages with metrics, a side button lets you cycle through them. Auto-pause under X-mph, etc.
But either way. It's not helpful if you can't figure it out.
OK, I checked and I've got the 520, not the 510 (and not the 520+). I just had to actually use the manual to figure out where things are. Example - autopause was nowhere in the configuration or settings menu so I assumed it didn't have it. It is in the activities profile menu ... I had just assumed activities profiles was for putting in intervals or routes, or whatever, not configuring the main screen. So my bad for not finding it and other items, but on the other hand I found this on my last two computers without ever looking at a menu. This is just me being a Luddite.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.