Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When buying a bike from a place like craigslist...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When buying a bike from a place like craigslist...

Old 10-05-20, 06:37 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Is that a torsion bar Beetle? Or a MacPherson strut Super Beetle? Can't tell with the bike there, but I'm leaning toward the former.
Standard... ball joints. Dropped 3" in front.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-05-20, 06:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I should have known from the shape of the windshield.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-06-20, 04:07 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I bought a 2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro off CL yesterday. Seller is a local cop and Google-able sponsored rider. Price was attractive and it's in sponsored-rider condition (e.g., remarkably pristine and impeccably kept). I also got a Giant TCR-1 and about $2k of various clothing, parts, tools, etc., off CL for $650 when a gentleman with a tough diagnosis wanted to 'rehome' his cherished ride. Good deals occur, and importantly, the world is full of good people who just need to have stuff move on from their lives.

Worst CL experience was a guy who was trying to do a guitar trade w/me; his guitar was NOT as-described, and when I said "no thanks" he began yelling at me in my house, and left with a door slam. That was a long time ago, and since then I have very few visits to the house.

Far and away the weirdest CL experience I ever had, though, was an attempt to 'pay it forward' by selling an old, but perfectly functional Honda Civic for $1. I knew what it's like to need a break, figured someone could use a free car ... and holy sugarsmacks, Batman, did the nutjobs come crawlin' out of the woodwork. So many missed appointments; so many people who seemed to prefer endless email chains to simply getting a car dropped off for a buck. In the end, I literally could not give the car away because people were too disorganized. Surreal.
Old 10-06-20, 08:56 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
Nice V Dub. I grew up messing with Volkswagens . I got really good at building engines and flipped a few Vans and Bugs BITD when you could get one for a couple of hundred bucks. I had a lot of fun and made some money. I used it to buy an early 1957 T 1 356A Porsche that I restored and drove for 25+ years. I sold it and turned my obsession to vintage road bikes that are just as rewarding and a lot less work/ $$. There is a 1964 bug sitting in a lot that I have access to and I have to look away , I am not into the work anymore. It belongs to an older woman and is 100% original and needs restoration. It is worth doing as it is a sunroof. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 10-06-20, 09:12 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Danhedonia
he began yelling at me in my house, and left with a door slam.
You let a Craigslist stranger in your house?

Depending on the time, I usually do the transaction at a local bank vestibule. That way the entire transaction is on camera and the other person is not in my home.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-06-20, 02:01 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Just watch for the obvious email scams - I send you cashier's check for more than your price, and you ship to my friend in Youadumb***istan.
Yes, usually if they're way too eager to buy it sight unseen, that's a red flag. And any time they send a cashier's check for way over the asking price and want you to send them back the extra or send it to someone else, you can guarantee it's a scam.
Old 10-06-20, 07:11 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts

Depending on the time, I usually do the transaction at a local bank vestibule. That way the entire transaction is on camera and the other person is not in my home.
I’ve done some in my garage. Usually large bulky items or stuff that needs power to show it works. No problems, but I’ve also passed on people who seemed sketchy. The safe bolted to the floor may have them second guessing what may be lying within easy reach.
Old 10-06-20, 07:14 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

I’ve done some in my garage.
Between the bike and the car, I don't let strangers in my garage either. But i understand bulky things are hard to move. I guess I could run an extension cored under the garage door

Old 10-06-20, 08:48 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Buying from the 2nd or 3rd owner means the bike is "well" used. So unless it's a low end recreational bike... i'd avoid it.
i bought all my bikes from an LBS and I don’t have one receipt. I bet most don’t.
Old 10-06-20, 09:18 PM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
We sold a Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter a few years back, learned never to post the real cost of the item in the headline, within about 30 minutes we got several offers to buy, pay with PayPal, one was a Marine Biologist (oh sure) who was leaving to go out to sea with a couple of hours, had to do the transaction right away. I think it was that one that I said, "gee, we have decided that we can no longer accept the $5000 asking prince, but now it was $10,000" just for fun. I think they decided that I was messing with them and went away.
Old 10-07-20, 03:40 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Bmach
i bought all my bikes from an LBS and I don’t have one receipt. I bet most don’t.
I keep mine for insurance and some new buyers like all the original stuff.
Old 10-07-20, 04:35 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
If the description doesn't read like the owner knows anything about the bike, like not knowing the size, or if the description is something like "Litespeed titanium bike. Large" and nothing about the age or the components, avoid. If you spent the money to buy a Litespeed(for example) you'd know more about it than nothing.
This is a pretty good way to know. Most people who steal a bike and try and sell it won't know much about it. And contrary to a suggestion above, many people (myself included) don't have a neat file of receipts for things they bought 5 or 10 years ago regardless of how big the purchase was.

I bought a road bike off CL several years ago. It was 2 years old, but looked brand new - nothing was worn on it. Before I went to see it I contacted the owner several times to ask questions and he didn't seem very knowledgeable about it, which raised red flags. I was ready to walk away, but asked him where he purchased it. He said at one of our LBS, so I went down to the shop and talked with them - told them I was going to purchase a bike on CL and was trying to verify if it was stolen.

Well it turns out that every time I asked the seller a question, he called the bike shop to ask them! They confirmed that he had in fact purchased the bike there, and that he had also ridden it once or twice at the most. Apparently he had some back issues and bought an upright townie bike from them also - assuming he'd eventually be able to ride the road bike. He never was able to, so I got a brand new two year old bike for 55% of the price he paid for it.

The LBS owner was happy I was buying the bike so the owner would stop calling them to ask questions about it!
Old 10-07-20, 04:38 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
I keep mine for insurance and some new buyers like all the original stuff.
Glenn, you balance your checkbook still don't you?

Just kidding - it's good that you have the discipline to keep that documentation (and I assume keep it neatly filed). I for one and terrible about keeping receipts, manuals, etc. I have four bikes, and probably don't have receipts for any of them. Plus one I built frame up so I'd have to keep information for the whole build...if it's not in my email history it no longer exists!
Old 10-07-20, 06:38 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by IGH_Only
or any private party, how do you get comfort that the bike isn't stolen?
I don't need the comfort that the bike wasn't stolen. I am concerned only with a good deal.
Old 10-07-20, 06:42 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I have done a number of CL (and other net classified) transactions in my house and at my house. I have even had some Mormon youths in my house for a bottled water. They get hot out there riding bicycles.
Old 10-07-20, 07:38 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have done a number of CL (and other net classified) transactions in my house and at my house. I have even had some Mormon youths in my house for a bottled water. They get hot out there riding bicycles.
I don't want to tell you what to do, but letting randos from Craigslist know where you live is a huge mistake. Sure, 99% of the time the transaction will go smoothly, but it's that 1% when you get a weirdo which could spell trouble.
Old 10-07-20, 07:44 AM
Mojo31
-------

If you're careful, it's usually not a problem. We've done a number of them at the house, but it is not my preferred course. Once we had a full bird colonel and lawyer drive down from Oklahoma to pick up a trailer full of patio furniture we had on CL. He showed up at about 9:00 when it was as dark as it gets. We loaded him up, chatted a bit, gave him a drink for the road, and he then drove to his lake house to drop it off before heading home 3 hours away.

Another time not long ago, we sold a large entertainment center to a couple for their lake house. Some of the pieces were so large and bulky that I had no choice but to let them in so the guy could help me take it apart and carry it out. They were great.

I've done a lot of CL sales and buys, and have never felt uncomfortable. I prefer not to let people I don't know in my house though. I'm not too worried about breakins as our house is more secure than most.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 10-07-20, 07:48 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I don't want to tell you what to do, but letting randos from Craigslist know where you live is a huge mistake. Sure, 99% of the time the transaction will go smoothly, but it's that 1% when you get a weirdo which could spell trouble.
What benefit is it to them to know where you live? If you let them come over, you certainly aren't going to give them the keys to the house.

I'm more concerned about the guys driving down the street with a crowbar and handgun looking for an opportunity.
Old 10-07-20, 08:11 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by billyymc
Glenn, you balance your checkbook still don't you?

Just kidding - it's good that you have the discipline to keep that documentation (and I assume keep it neatly filed). I for one and terrible about keeping receipts, manuals, etc. I have four bikes, and probably don't have receipts for any of them. Plus one I built frame up so I'd have to keep information for the whole build...if it's not in my email history it no longer exists!
Just last year I had the chairmat in my home office crack to the point It needed to be replaced. I remember it being like 10 years old and since it lasted so long, i looked for the receipt so i could buy the same. Well, I found the receipt, it was 12 years old and I also found it had a lifetime warranty. I contacted 3M about getting a replacement. I received a email from customer service that they no longer make that chairmat and told me to email them a copy of the receipt. Two week later I received a check for the full purchase price.

I learned this from my wife that has a winter coat from Macy's that she got a full refund when the zipper broke... it was 5 years old.

I have a Trek Emonda SLR and the frame has a warranty.... so i keep the receipt to prove i'm the original owner.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-07-20, 08:14 AM
Milton Keynes

What benefit is it to them to know where you live? If you let them come over, you certainly aren't going to give them the keys to the house.

I'm more concerned about the guys driving down the street with a crowbar and handgun looking for an opportunity.
There's a lot of crazy people out there, and if they get it in their heads for some reason that you ripped them off, or they're otherwise unhappy about the transaction they may try to do something to you or your residence. Or, if they are less than honest, they come into your house to do the transaction and see something they'd like to steal, and come back some time later. There's a million different possible scenarios, and most likely you won't ever have to worry about them, but just let that one time happen and you'll wish you never let them know where you live. I guess I'm saying, why take a chance?
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-07-20, 08:48 AM
Mojo31
-------

There's a lot of crazy people out there, and if they get it in their heads for some reason that you ripped them off, or they're otherwise unhappy about the transaction they may try to do something to you or your residence. Or, if they are less than honest, they come into your house to do the transaction and see something they'd like to steal, and come back some time later. There's a million different possible scenarios, and most likely you won't ever have to worry about them, but just let that one time happen and you'll wish you never let them know where you live. I guess I'm saying, why take a chance?
I guess that between the security system, that includes video, locks and dog that I just have a sense of security which may be a false sense of security. But, quite frankly, if they saw something in the garage that they wanted to steal, they would have a hard time getting in, and if they did it would be captured on video. If they do succeed in taking something, it's easily replaced. Like I said, the opportunist driving down the street with a crowbar and gun scares me more.

With that, I'm not frequently inviting people I don't know into my house, and when I do I'm very cautious about who.
Old 10-07-20, 09:54 AM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I do let strangers from CL in my house. You live in Long Island? LOLOLOLOL.
Old 10-07-20, 09:54 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I am confident in my ability to avoid a weirdo and more confident in my ability to deal with one should my detection meter fail me initially.
Old 10-07-20, 10:12 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
I don't want to tell you what to do, but letting randos from Craigslist know where you live is a huge mistake.
How many "randos" drive past your house everyday? How do you keep them from knowing where you live?
Old 10-07-20, 10:15 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
I don't need the comfort that the bike wasn't stolen. I am concerned only with a good deal.
It's good to know you don't have any ethical conflicts buying stolen goods.
Likes For tomato coupe:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.