Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

🤔 Do I actually need to carry a repair kit? 🤔

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

🤔 Do I actually need to carry a repair kit? 🤔

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-20, 08:52 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Why would anyone be in the middle of the road with a flat tire at night? What’s wrong with the side of the road?
You are clearly implying that not many of your friends or family members would help you at night. That’s kind of rough and I’m sorry to hear that.
I know a lot of people and not one of them would refuse to help a friend in need.
Whether or not they should have to is ofc another thing altogether.

Holy cow, that was pretty rough. He may not have been precise with his words, but it doesn’t mean you can’t cut him some slack. I thought the premise behind a forum like this is to support one another in our hobby.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-07-20, 12:50 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Holy cow, that was pretty rough. He may not have been precise with his words, but it doesn’t mean you can’t cut him some slack. I thought the premise behind a forum like this is to support one another in our hobby.
You mean support one another unless that means running out to help change a flat...
Perfect
Old 11-07-20, 01:54 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

You mean support one another unless that means running out to help change a flat...
Perfect
Congrats, you made it to Ignore in 4 posts. A new record.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-07-20, 06:05 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
After a recent experience with a bad flat, I replaced the very cheap tires on my bike with Panaracer tour/urban 700x35c. Got a spare tube AND also replaced the traditional patch kit with superglue and tiny patches of recycled inner tube rubber to use with superglue (even smaller than standard patch kit, only used for bigger punctures).

After twice using patch kit to repair two punctures, I'm done with them. It just takes too long for my liking and difficult to work with. Spare tube for me from now on and if I get another puncture during a long ride, superglue.
Does superglue and pieces of innertube work to patch tubes? I've never heard of that. Also never had a single problem with a normal patch kit so just curious if maybe you're not letting the glue dry? The glue has to dry completely or the patch will not hold. I've never had one come off if done correctly, and I've put patches overlapping other patches - still no issues.
Old 11-07-20, 08:29 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
I never had problems with traditional patches coming off either. I just didn't like how long it takes to wait to completely dry and then cure, especially for bigger punctures.

A superglue fix will have the innertube ready in as little as 3 minutes. Very easy to apply too.
I've never had a traditional thin patch, like the Rema Tip Top, fail in over 60 years of using them with the regular vulcanization rubber cement included with the kits, after roughing the surface with the scrapper or piece of sandpaper, also included with the inexpensive kits. The vulcanization rubber cement (AKA"glue") that comes with the kits takes less than 3 minutes to dry when applied sparingly. If you blow on it the glue will dry even faster.

No patch-"glue" combination will be effective if you are trying to patch tubes that have been damaged by sudden blowouts rather than leaks caused by punctures.

Patch kits are so inexpensive it hardly seems to make much sense to me to improvise with inferior methods.
Old 11-07-20, 11:12 AM
Dimas Pineda

Bikes: Peugeot Uo8 Restored, Miyata 110 (fixed gear conversion), Grand Master Special, Giant Revel Disc 3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Why would anyone be in the middle of the road with a flat tire at night? What’s wrong with the side of the road?
You are clearly implying that not many of your friends or family members would help you at night. That’s kind of rough and I’m sorry to hear that.
I know a lot of people and not one of them would refuse to help a friend in need.
Whether or not they should have to is ofc another thing altogether.

You might assume that, but on the contrary what I'm saying is that it is imperative as an urban cyclist that you carry at least the means necessary to fix this kind of issues, you might have great friends and family but part of being an adult is to be able to solve your problems.
Likes For Dimas Pineda:
Old 11-07-20, 01:07 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,404 Times in 2,744 Posts
Originally Posted by Dimas Pineda
You might assume that, but on the contrary what I'm saying is that it is imperative as an urban cyclist that you carry at least the means necessary to fix this kind of issues, you might have great friends and family but part of being an adult is to be able to solve your problems.
+1 This is pretty much the consensus. However, a couple of folks here seem deeply invested in the "helpless is a virtue" position.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-07-20, 04:51 PM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by Dimas Pineda
On the contrary to what?
This makes as little sense as your last post.
And you are implying that a suburban cyclist doesn’t need to carry the means necessary to to fix these kinds of issues? Huh?
But it’s good to know that as an adult you are personally able to solve every problem that comes your way and you have never asked anyone for help
It’s so awesome that cycling enthusiasts on a cycling forum can’t look at anything cycling related from a different perspective.
You can chide people for not fixing a flat and not recall the times that you needed help in a different situation that you could have worked out on your own.

Last edited by downhillmaster; 11-07-20 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-07-20, 04:56 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
On the contrary to what?
[...] you are implying that a suburban cyclist doesn’t need to carry the means necessary to to fix these kinds of issues? Huh?
Huh,indeed: What makes you think that that is somehow implied in his post?
Because he didn't include "surburban"? How about "rural"? The only "implication" is that even as an urban cyclist, you should be able to fix your own damn flat.
Old 11-07-20, 04:57 PM
downhillmaster

Huh,indeed: What makes you think that that is somehow implied in his post?[/QUOTE]
Seriously?
Because he specifically only referenced urban cyclist.
Old 11-07-20, 05:03 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Seriously?
Because he specifically only referenced urban cyclist.
Ah, yes, but the context is the many previous posts in this thread. You trying to somehow say that that because he only mentioned "urban", he meant "only urban riders" rather than "even urban riders".
We all should know that "urban rides" are usually much closer to help, transport, AND bike shops. So it makes no sense to conclude that he somehow excludes rides/riders farther away.
Old 11-07-20, 05:07 PM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by CargoDane
Huh,indeed: What makes you think that that is somehow implied in his post?
Because he didn't include "surburban"? How about "rural"? The only "implication" is that even as an urban cyclist, you should be able to fix your own damn flat.
Nope.
And the fact that you edited your reply proves my point. Good stuff lol.
It’s cool though. Reading comprehension is not everyone’s thing bro.
Peace out of this cesspool of a thread
Old 11-07-20, 05:21 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Nope.
And the fact that you edited your reply proves my point. Good stuff lol.
I added to it to make it clearer. None of that "proves [your] point". "Good stuff" indeed.

It’s cool though. Reading comprehension is not everyone’s thing bro.
Peace out of this cesspool of a thread
LOL, yeah, you talking about "reading comprehension" is very much Dunning-Kruger talking. That much is clear.
Old 11-08-20, 05:58 AM
billyymc

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to answer that question earlier.

I do use pieces of old innertube with superglue but only to patch bigger holes. Tiny pinholes are not patched, you simply pinch the tube at the hole (to open up the hole) and put a very tiny amount of superglue, let go and wipe off excess, and let dry for a few minutes

Note the inner tube patches I make are only 5mm in diameter. A LOT smaller than traditional patches. A bigger patch might crack since you're using brittle superglue.

I also made strips of innertube (5mm wide) for patching pinch flats. However, superglued pinch flats are absolutely temporary fix only and the innertube needs to be replaced with new one asap.
Interesting - I had no idea this would even work. May give it a try sometime when it's not critical for me - although I"m headed toward tubeless on most of my bikes anyway.
Old 11-08-20, 06:58 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
I still carry two spare tubes.

Patching roadside is never as convenient as patching at home, and on several occasions, at home, I have had to resort to the water-bucket method to find the leak. No matter what kind of patch kit I am suing, it is useless if I cannot find the leak .... and equally useless if I have to stop every mile to re-inflate the tire because I could not find the leak.

These are things that have happened to me, and often enough that I endorse, for personal use, my personal system. others have lived different lives, and thus have ever reason to endorse different systems.

But let me tell you ... the second time you call me for a ride because you didn't carry your own repair kit is the first and last time I tell you never to call again.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-08-20, 08:22 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
I always carry two tubes, patch kit, pump, tire boots, CO2 and if I am on closed roads or with zero hope for a rescue, a spare used Gatorskin. I am not concerned about weight/speed but finishing is the most important criteria for me. I see the OP having a "Comeuppance" when his friends bail on rescuing him. Poor planning on your part does not make it an emergency for me.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 11-08-20, 09:19 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
You are clearly implying that not many of your friends or family members would help you at night.
Your takeaway should be that most of us would rather be somewhat self-sufficient for minor problems rather than make the "Call of Shame" over something so routine as a flat tire. Friends might rescue you once, maybe even twice, before they start to question why you seem to put yourself in such a position over and over again.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 11-08-20, 10:37 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

With COVID many might be quite hesitant to pick up non-family members due to a mechanical or flat. Becoming self sufficient is now even more important. Do whatever you want, but just be aware of what’s what. It might turn into The Walk of Shame.

Old 11-08-20, 06:03 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
You really need to carry a repair kit. I have a decent enough pump that I attach to the frame via a water bottle cage. I carry two tubes just in case and tire levers. I can repair the tubes at home with a patch kit. It's better to be self sufficient. I do carry a mobile phone just in case as well as ID, my bus pass, credit card, and either a $10 or $20 bill. I used to carry a patch kit with me when I mtn bike but haven't been doing so on my road bike. Don't ask me why......I don't even know!
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 11-08-20, 10:02 PM
Dimas Pineda

Bikes: Peugeot Uo8 Restored, Miyata 110 (fixed gear conversion), Grand Master Special, Giant Revel Disc 3

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
On the contrary to what?
This makes as little sense as your last post.
And you are implying that a suburban cyclist doesn’t need to carry the means necessary to to fix these kinds of issues? Huh?
But it’s good to know that as an adult you are personally able to solve every problem that comes your way and you have never asked anyone for help
It’s so awesome that cycling enthusiasts on a cycling forum can’t look at anything cycling related from a different perspective.
You can chide people for not fixing a flat and not recall the times that you needed help in a different situation that you could have worked out on your own.
OH I'm sorry, I didn't mention Suburban cyclist in my post, well now I'm including them too, I think everyone should have at least the means to repair this kind of issues, if you're not familiar with the process, YouTube has a lot of tutorials related to this topic.

Hope you have a great ride, enjoy
Likes For Dimas Pineda:
Old 11-09-20, 07:18 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Boy Scout motto -- BE PREPARED!
And yes, I was a Boy Scout - even made Eagle in 1973... Back when people were responsible for their own actions (or preparedness, apparently )

/thread.
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 11-09-20, 09:53 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Boy Scout motto -- BE PREPARED!
And yes, I was a Boy Scout - even made Eagle in 1973... Back when people were responsible for their own actions (or preparedness, apparently )

/thread.
Eagle Scout here as well. Be prepared. Words to live by.

Last edited by SpeedyBlueBiker; 11-09-20 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-09-20, 10:03 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
I figured at age 12 or 13 that getting to be an Eagle scout would really cut into my model-airplane-building time, but still manage nevertheless to glue one thing to another thing by reading the directions
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-11-20, 07:31 PM
Unshore

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
nothing cooler than stuffing some sort repair kit in a bag somewhere on a bike and even taping some spare spokes on the frame.

I got a new bike with tubeless tires I think I'll have to carry automotive starting fluid and matches incase I have to reset the bead after patching the tire.
Old 11-11-20, 10:26 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
I used to ride at night after the family went to bed, kids were young, wife had to be at work early. It was the best time to get some miles in. One day I cleaned my bike and forgot to put my saddle bag on. I was about 7 miles from home and it was around 11:30 pm and I contemplated life and if I should call my wife or just start walking. I called, but told her to look for me, as I would start walking back. That was the a very silent ride home when she rolled up. A couple of weeks later, I ran across something and flatted both tires. I check from anything left in the tires, found nothing, and put my 2 tubes in and immediately headed home. I was about 5 miles from the house when I flatted again, ...... I just walked home and about a mile from the house, the rain started. While it was a long walk, it was better than getting the cold shoulder for a day or two.

Likes For jaxgtr:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.