Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Park Tool PCS 4.1 - Clamp spins

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-21, 12:04 PM
stavstav

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post

I got a new PCS 4.1 from Amazon yesterday and noticed that the clamp seems to bottom out when screwing to the top tube assembly before it makes full contact. This means that the clamp is free to rotate and cannot never lock it, so the bikes just swing freely. I have used the tapered sleeve for 100-5C as per manual.

I have a youtube video with demonstration, but since I am a new user can't seem to paste the link. The video id is v0N2czs5AaA

Anyone else faced this problem? Any known solutions? I can always send it back to Amazon, but disassembling it again and then ordering a new one and assembling is a bit of a pain.
Old 04-21-21, 12:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
This one?

I don't have an answer. Others probably do. Since it's new, you did put in a question to Park Tool didn't you?
Old 04-21-21, 12:46 PM
stavstav

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
This one?

I don't have an answer. Others probably do. Since it's new, you did put in a question to Park Tool didn't you?
yes, that's the one! thanks!

Yeah, I did send an email to Park Tool as well.
Old 04-21-21, 02:06 PM
stavstav

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Update: Can't believe how fast Park Tool support is. They already replied and said the problem is with most probably with the top tube assembly, and they will send a replacement at no cost. Amazing
Likes For stavstav:
Old 04-22-21, 03:49 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by stavstav
Update: Can't believe how fast Park Tool support is. They already replied and said the problem is with most probably with the top tube assembly, and they will send a replacement at no cost. Amazing
Yes, they are, I also have had great experiences with their customer support team

Old 04-22-21, 09:00 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
I don't always buy Park tools but their service has swayed me a couple of times. I bought one of their PC-10 stands due to the fact that it's built like a tank, spares are available and great service. It cost more but I will not likely ever have to replace it unlike my last cheapy stand.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-22-21, 09:10 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
If it’s similar to the Park PCS-1 (which I have)...right behind the clamp handle where the tension spring connects to it...there is a finger bolt that connects the spring to the clamp. There are three different holes that can be used to connect the spring/handle for various sizes of top tubes. Edited to add: Looking at the videos on Park’s website...it looks like the 4.1 comes with one of two different clamps. But, both are adjustable to accommodate various tube sizes.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 04-22-21 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-22-21, 02:36 PM
stavstav

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
If it’s similar to the Park PCS-1 (which I have)...right behind the clamp handle where the tension spring connects to it...there is a finger bolt that connects the spring to the clamp. There are three different holes that can be used to connect the spring/handle for various sizes of top tubes. Edited to add: Looking at the videos on Park’s website...it looks like the 4.1 comes with one of two different clamps. But, both are adjustable to accommodate various tube sizes.

Dan
Hey Dan,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, 4.1 has just one hole for the clamp and depending which clamp you use, you may need to add a shim or not. I added the shim, but still looks like it is bottoming out before it's tight enough. I suspect the screw in the top assembly where the clamp screws into, is too long. Will get the new on that Park sent and compare and update.
Old 04-22-21, 02:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I don't always buy Park tools but their service has swayed me a couple of times. I bought one of their PC-10 stands due to the fact that it's built like a tank, spares are available and great service. It cost more but I will not likely ever have to replace it unlike my last cheapy stand.
They are always super helpful and supportive of their products. Truman who many have seen in some of their videos is super nice and really helpful, we had an electric stand that had some issues and he got us all sorted. Plus I have dealt with a few others over there who are always willing to help. I will say some of their stuff is hobbyist grade and not all that great but their bike specific stuff is usually quite nice and some of their nicer tools are really nice. Probably my favorite derailleur screwdriver (and probably my favorite screwdriver overall out of all the ones I have used) and love both of my Park stands and the various other Park Tools I own in the Big Blue Box.

I got my first stand which is an old school PCS-4 (or some older variant thereof) used from a friend and it has been fantastic for what it is and only needed a little polylube after 20+ years of service.. Just added a PRS-25 because I want a better clamp for larger than 27.2 and a bit better adjustability so I can raise or lower the stand. So I the other stand might get sold or maybe donated but it is a true workhorse and looks great hanging my vintage bikes.
Old 04-22-21, 04:21 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Hey Dan,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, 4.1 has just one hole for the clamp and depending which clamp you use, you may need to add a shim or not. I added the shim, but still looks like it is bottoming out before it's tight enough. I suspect the screw in the top assembly where the clamp screws into, is too long. Will get the new on that Park sent and compare and update.
In the pics I see of it online...it looks like there’s an adjustable nut on the linkage between the clamp handle and the top clamp jaw.

Dan
Old 05-31-21, 11:34 AM
LarryRider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, I bought the same stand, brand new from Amazon, and the bolt bottoms out before it is tight enough so that the clamp spins, as you describe. I took it on and off four times, and I think the bolt in the head is too long such that it never tightens the conical sleeve part in the head. Sigh.

I guess I will call Park Tool tomorrow.

Did you resolve your problem with a new head or some other way?

Thanks!

Larry

Last edited by LarryRider; 05-31-21 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-01-21, 07:33 AM
LarryRider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Following up to my question. I called Park Tool and they said it was a known issue and would be shipping me a new head today.

I went crazy trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, lol.

Larry
Likes For LarryRider: