Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Too hot to ride

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Too hot to ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-21, 07:47 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I have always done pretty well with the heat. At 58 YOA, not as well as I used to, but still pretty good. Cold? No way.
Old 06-28-21, 05:05 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
On the other hand, there's a pretty fine line between building up a tolerance and exceeding it, and the risks of crossing that line can be dire. Really should think long and hard before exerting yourself in air hotter than your core temp.
I always wear a HRM when I ride, and keep an eye on the BPM, especially when it's hot. I can tell it's time to find some shade when my recovery time (time it takes for heart rate to drop to normal levels) gets longer, or, worse yet, the BPM stays high even with light effort. On one charity ride, my buddy and I found a nice shady spot in the grass at the top of a climb. We just lay down, drank as much Gatorade as we had left, and took it easy for about 30 minutes before finishing the route.
Old 06-28-21, 07:40 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I always wear a HRM when I ride, and keep an eye on the BPM, especially when it's hot. I can tell it's time to find some shade when my recovery time (time it takes for heart rate to drop to normal levels) gets longer, or, worse yet, the BPM stays high even with light effort. On one charity ride, my buddy and I found a nice shady spot in the grass at the top of a climb. We just lay down, drank as much Gatorade as we had left, and took it easy for about 30 minutes before finishing the route.
yes it's a great tool. when we got home my HR was 130 freer I got into the house. way too high.
have to commute home today and it is supposed to be even hotter. but its only 35 minutes\ but taking the bus would be worse standing around for 10 minutes in then eat.
Old 06-29-21, 12:23 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Lytton BC just broke Canada's all time record. Was 115.2 in 1937, now it's over 117 and maybe 118 tomorrow. This little town has always had the most hot spot days.
Even Jasper was over 100 today and tomorrow.
Here it was a day record 34C/ 93F. Our all time is 37.2 in 1937. Might get close.
I went for slow rides on shady streets. 2 weeks ago I went 112.4 miles when it was about 77F. Hot enough.
My apartment has been up to 88F. Bugger.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 06-29-21 at 12:27 AM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 06-29-21, 10:05 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
I start my ride before sunrise and avoid the sunburn period also (10:00 am to 4:00 pm).

SXUS75 KVEF 191038 CCB
RERVEF

RECORD EVENT REPORT...CORRECTED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LAS VEGAS, NV
338 AM PDT SAT JUN 19 2021

...RECORD HIGH MINIMUM TEMPERATURES FOR JUNE 18...

A RECORD HIGH MINIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 90 WAS SET AT LAS VEGAS NV
YESTERDAY. THIS BROKE THE PREVIOUS RECORD OF 86, WHICH WAS SET IN
2017. TEMPERATURE RECORDS FOR LAS VEGAS DATE BACK TO 1937.
sxus75 kvef 170029
rervef

record event report
national weather service las vegas, nv
529 pm pdt wed jun 16 2021

...record high temperatures for june 16...

A record high temperature of 107 was set at bishop ca today. This
broke the old record of 104 which was set in 1961. Temperature
records for bishop date back to 1943.

A record high temperature of 116 was set at las vegas nv today. This
broke the old record of 114, which was set in 1940. Temperature
records for las vegas date back to 1937.
Old 06-29-21, 10:42 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Nice try Vegas. LOL. Lytton B.C. broke the all time record 3 days in a row. Was 121.28F today, 49.6C.
I went to Vegas in the middle of July once, maybe twice. It was 99F at 10 am one morning. If this was the late 70s, then I had a 1968 Camaro with no air conditioning. I stayed at the Desert Rose that time. I hiked the Arches in Utah on the way, was 106F somewhere. I carried a gallon cooler with ice. LOL.
It was 36C here today, maybe 37C tomorrow. A couple of the record days for this week were 1924 and one 1937 also. I had to just go for a drive this evening to sit in the cool car.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 06-29-21 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-30-21, 12:05 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
I did some damn hot rides when I live in west Texas. I recall a TT when it was 115F; I rode out there, did the 10 miles, and rode home. I did a full brevet series - 200k, 300k, 400k, 600k, as well as a string of 200k perms and a couple 100k populaires. The 600k was in the Permian Basin; it was near freezing when we departed, and well over 100 in the heat of the day. The desert's like that. I did ride a few 200k perms overnight - more to avoid the sun than the heat. The sun is killer.

When I moved from west Texas to Portland OR, I was making the conscious decision to trade heat for 50F and rain. That first winter in Portland was tough for me; I struggled with everything about riding in cold rain.

After 3 years... 50 and rain? Pffft. Throw on some wool and a shell, and go.

Now we had a couple west Texas heat days in Portland, and I say bring back the cold rain.
Old 06-30-21, 12:27 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
I can't ride in oppressive heat. Due to my medical health. Now that places are starting to open back up, I will be able to make a 'pit stop' and relax after a long ride.It has been in the low to high 80's. But the Heat Index has low to high 90's.
Old 06-30-21, 02:02 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
On the other hand, there's a pretty fine line between building up a tolerance and exceeding it, and the risks of crossing that line can be dire. Really should think long and hard before exerting yourself in air hotter than your core temp.
This.

Was once backpacking with my first wife in Grand Gulch in Southern Utah -- very remote, no roads, pre-cell phone era. I was kind of a desert rat in my twenties and thirties, and was accustomed to the heat - and knew how to handle it. She declined my frequent advice to drink more water, and ended up with a wicked case of heatstroke -- could barely walk, was hallucinating at one point, etc. We made it out, but slowly -- and I had to transfer virtually everything from her pack into mine. 'Course, I wasn't a dumbass, so I was drinking plenty of water.

I've also seen a couple riders basically ride themselves into heatstroke - always in a group ride setting, trying to keep up with the faster riders. They each ended up sitting alongside the road in a daze, waiting for someone to pick 'em up in a car.
Old 06-30-21, 06:19 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I don't think the full ramifications of what happened here this weekend have really sunk in. Here. Maybe this can help: https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...west-heat-wave. Multnomah County is where the o.p. and me and mine all live and ride. We knew better than to go anywhere outside when a 14000BTU A/C was unable to get the inside temp below 85F.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 06-30-21 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-12-21, 08:48 AM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
It didn't get nearly that hot where I live, but it got up there a bit. I kept riding, but on the hottest days I mostly kept to gravel and dirt trails, which helped. For a few days I also got a good drenching from sudden, pop-up showers.
Old 07-12-21, 09:14 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
we went to the top of Powell butte after the heat this is a 600' butte totally dry no water and in the middle of the city. I can imagine it being 120 up there on our worst day
Old 07-12-21, 02:36 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 272 Posts
I live in the high desert and am working off some weight. It is in the low eighties at 05.15 in the morning here. That is the time I start out. I ride down hill North then turn east toward the marine base. The further east the hotter it gets. So at around 15 miles out I head back toward home. The wind is in my face and more up hill heading home.
Old 07-13-21, 09:13 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
This.

Was once backpacking with my first wife in Grand Gulch in Southern Utah -- very remote, no roads, pre-cell phone era. I was kind of a desert rat in my twenties and thirties, and was accustomed to the heat - and knew how to handle it. She declined my frequent advice to drink more water, and ended up with a wicked case of heatstroke -- could barely walk, was hallucinating at one point, etc. We made it out, but slowly -- and I had to transfer virtually everything from her pack into mine. 'Course, I wasn't a dumbass, so I was drinking plenty of water.
The heat and humidity are killers where I live in a Gulf Coast swamp. The only thing that helps me is ICE. Insulated bottles, extra cubes in a pannier, etc. When the ice runs out I better be close to home. No other way for me until late September. When I used to do much longer rides, or weekend tours, I hauled a BOB trailer with an ice chest on it, golf umbrella, and a big sponge. I could have you shivering in 10 minutes under the umbrella squeezing ice water on your head while you suck on ice cubes. Nowadays I just ride the smart trainer inside. With ice in my bottles!
Old 07-26-21, 03:41 PM
crewdog

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Here in Texas (San Antonio) it tends to stay in the high 90's in late summer. I have been able to keep riding by moving my start time to 8 pm. My ride usually takes 1 hour and 45 minutes, which means the second half of my ride is dark and I now have both front lights and taillights (on my helmet, too). The second half is also mainly on bike paths (sidewalks) and local neighborhoods, so I don't have to deal with much traffic. The late start time also results in a lot of shade available due to the low position of the sun in the sky. I could ride in the morning and avoid the sun and heat, but getting up early has been a tough task since I'm now retired.
Old 07-26-21, 03:57 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by crewdog
.....................................................I could ride in the morning and avoid the sun and heat, but getting up early has been a tough task since I'm now retired.

Sheesh, here in the "Sunny Okanagan Valley" it doesn't cool quickly enough in the evening, so morning it is. No later than 07:00, because by the end of a three hour ride the sun has been busy.
Right now the smoke from the wildfires is worse than the heat.
Big advantage being retired is all that flexibility, at least as far as scheduling goes. Back East many moons ago I used to run at night (22:00) to catch a breeze off Lake Ontario. Lots of fun in the country with two Dobermans on the loose along the route; but they obeyed commands.
Old 07-31-21, 12:39 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
I went out at 2 AM today, was out until 6. Not only was it not-hot, it was untrafficked and quiet.
Old 08-01-21, 10:12 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
During summer I tend to ride early in the morning before it gets too hot. Even when it's 95 degrees out it's no fun. And be sure to take along plenty of water.
Old 08-01-21, 01:26 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
It's never too hot for me to ride (or run). Professional cyclists are starting to come around to the usefulness of high-heat training.

https://medium.com/the-cycling-physi...o-81d096433f6b

Recent studies have shown that sauna usage can help with acclimation to hot temperatures¹, increase blood volume and time to exhaustion², and increase red-cell values³. If you’re not using the free one at your gym, you’re really missing out. All these studies have small sample sizes, but produced quite interesting results that show promise in their ability to assist endurance athletes.

The first study, designed to help with acclimation to hot temperatures, monitored seven well-trained male cyclists as they went through a course of exercise that included sauna usage during 10 of the exercise days. Immediately following normal training, they placed the athletes into blisteringly hot saunas (87 °C / 189 °F) for 30 minutes at a time. To assess the training effect, researchers took blood samples and measured heart rate variability daily, while taking sub-maximal cycling test values weekly. Overall, the cyclists saw an 18% increase in blood plasma volume expansion (90 % confidence limits, 7.4:29.2) and moderate reductions in waking heart rate [−10.2 % (90% confidence limits, −15.9:−4.0)].¹ It appears that sauna training can help lower recovery heart rates and increase blood plasma volume, two important components of heat adaptation.

The second study assessed a sauna’s ability to increase time to exhaustion in a workout scenario. This study took six male distance runners and exposed them to three weeks of post-training sauna bathing and compared it to 3 weeks of control training. The sauna was maintained at a slightly higher temperature, this time approaching 90 °C (194 °F). These runners increased their time to exhaustion by 32% (90% confidence limits 21–43%) and increased their blood volumes by approximately 7% (90% confidence limits, 5.6:8.7%).
Old 08-01-21, 01:40 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
It's never too hot for me to ride (or run). Professional cyclists are starting to come around to the usefulness of high-heat training.
Advice on best, recommended, useful, or even good bicycling practices for the general public based on the training methods of professional (or endurance) cyclists is questionable if not downright dangerous.
Old 08-01-21, 01:50 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Advice on best, recommended, useful, or even good bicycling practices for the general public based on the training methods of professional (or endurance) cyclists is questionable if not downright dangerous.
Yeah, I guess it could be dangerous, despite me not having a problem in over 30-years of cycling, much of it in the heat, which I've never avoided. However, giving one advice on starting up cycling....that does give me pause, in the interest of the safety to others.
Old 08-01-21, 09:49 PM
crewdog

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I also try to avoid the sun by riding late in the afternoon or early in the morning. I am very Anglo and had too many sunburns in my younger days.
Old 08-08-21, 03:51 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Cool weather rider here. The older I get the less tolerant of heat I get. I haven't even been on a bike ride since Memorial Day weekend and I probably won't ride again until Sept. The problem is since I've only been on six rides this whole year I'm going to have to find ways to extend my riding season so this year won't be a complete bust.
Old 08-17-21, 01:54 AM
ropetwitch

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Keep hydrating! Use sunscreen too and avoid direct sunlight as much as possible.