Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: What ultimately prompted you to get a cycling specific tattoo?
X number of career miles ridden
0.85%
X number of years ridden
2.56%
X number of bikes owned
0%
Big Event/Ride accomplished
4.27%
In memoriam
0.85%
I just like tatts
3.42%
I don't have one, and have no plans to
88.03%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Cycling Tattoo?

Old 08-23-21, 01:18 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I have one I drew a few years ago, but it hasn't been a priority to get it done.
Old 08-23-21, 05:44 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
What is the average age around here?
How is your question related to my post?

I have no idea the average age nor does it matter. That would be like saying what is the average race or sex here.
Old 08-23-21, 07:05 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62

I have no idea the average age nor does it matter. That would be like saying what is the average race or sex here.
Age does matter.

Because I would have given a completely different answer 20 to 30 years ago.

Btw my race and sex hasn't changed much since my birth. Age has changed... as has my stance and opinions on many things including tattoos.
Old 08-23-21, 07:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
OP asked what prompts a tattoo. Something I always wondered.
9 tattoo members responded with the reasons and 71 said they would not or did not plan to get a tattoo
I found the link very beneficial. I have always wondered why someone would graffiti up their body with substances so unhealthy.
It took you until this point in life to have this long standing question finally answered, and it was on a message board of all places?

On second thought, that sounds about right since if you were to actually phrase your wonder in this way to someone in person, there is a strong chance it wouldnt go well.
Old 08-23-21, 07:39 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by Metieval
Age does matter.

Because I would have given a completely different answer 20 to 30 years ago.

Btw my race and sex hasn't changed much since my birth. Age has changed... as has my stance and opinions on many things including tattoos.
Ok. I still do not see how or why you responded to what I wrote. BTW....plenty of old people have tattoos, they just do not parade their graffitti like the youngins
Old 08-23-21, 07:40 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

Why am I not surprised that you did not understand the nature of my post.
You clearly referenced a large number of BF posters not planning on getting a tattoo.
Only about 10% of the population over 50 have a tattoo.
More relevant to this thread and your naive comment; only 2% of people over 50 get their first tattoo.
You really don’t know the average age of BF do you?
You keep doing you though
Old 08-23-21, 07:40 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It took you until this point in life to have this long standing question finally answered, and it was on a message board of all places?

On second thought, that sounds about right since if you were to actually phrase your wonder in this way to someone in person, there is a strong chance it wouldnt go well.
Ok, mr tough guy

Do you think exposed tats affect (good) employment?

I know I would never hire let alone promote someone with tats exposed all over the place.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-23-21, 07:43 AM
Metieval

Ok. I still do not see how or why you responded to what I wrote. BTW....plenty of old people have tattoos, they just do not parade their graffitti like the youngins
So age does make a difference.... lol okay then.
Old 08-23-21, 07:47 AM
downhillmaster

Ok, mr tough guy

I know I would never hire let alone promote someone with tats exposed all over the place.
Luckily for the tattooed employees under you, none of them wants to be head french fryer
Old 08-23-21, 07:51 AM
Metieval

Luckily for the tattooed employees under you, none of them wants to be head french fryer
There is more to it than if the tattooed person is a good/bad person.

Sometimes it is about company image.

Example, Hooters doesn't hire pudgy out of shape plus size women. That doesn't make them bad women, it just means they don't fit the image Hooters wants.
Old 08-23-21, 07:57 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I'm getting ready to get inked with my first cycling specific tatt, and was wondering what prompted others to get one. Feel free to submit a pic of it.

Edit: BTW, within the last 2 years I've beaten Stage 4 Lung Cancer which metastasized to my Lymph, Spine, and recently Brain, all of which are under control (so far). And my oncologist said if it weren't for my advanced cardio-pulmonary system (like many of us here at BF), the tumors the width of my fist that collapsed my left lung upper lobe, as well as large blood restricting clots in both lungs would have likely killed someone not as fit as us. So I'm going to get a tatt that symbolizes cycling and lungs, possibly lungs outlined by a bike chain, something like this, but without the bikes inside.
i seem to get a temp tat on calf each and every mtb ride
Old 08-23-21, 08:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Ok, mr tough guy
I am not the tough guy, I said that I can see why your wonder has lasted so long and why you needed a message board to finally answer your question- it is phrased so rudely that if you ever asked that to someone in person it may not go well. That doesnt mean I am a tough guy. It just means the person you ask may get snippy and think you are a di** for asking in the way you did.

As for my views on good employment, that is an entirely separate issue from what you were stating before.
- I work in a position that requires a college degree and have held my job for over 17 years. Nobody at all cares that I have a couple tattoos. I can wear pants and suddenly- no tats! I dont wear pants at work unless its cold though because...nobody cares about dressing up either since it doesnt affect our success.
- My wife is a lawyer and has 2 tattoos. Neither are visible when she is leading presentations and meeting with policy makers. Its like they dont exist.
- My brother in law has 4 tattoos. Again, none are visible when wearing traditional business attire. He also doesnt have to wear that though since his company also recognizes it doesnt matter.

My point here(I feel I need to spell it out) is that you seem to think there are only two choices- no tats or tats covering all visible space on your body. That isnt reality. They can be covered up quite easily if the individual wants that when they get the tattoos.

If I were hiring for a daycare, even if they were qualified, I would think long and hard about hiring the woman with multiple tear tattoos under their eye and 'EVIL INSIDE' tattooed over they eyebrows. I would not think twice about hiring the qualified woman with a Claddagh tattoo on her ankle.

Its almost as if using
Old 08-23-21, 08:27 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I am not the tough guy, I said that I can see why your wonder has lasted so long and why you needed a message board to finally answer your question- it is phrased so rudely that if you ever asked that to someone in person it may not go well. That doesnt mean I am a tough guy. It just means the person you ask may get snippy and think you are a di** for asking in the way you did.

As for my views on good employment, that is an entirely separate issue from what you were stating before.
- I work in a position that requires a college degree and have held my job for over 17 years. Nobody at all cares that I have a couple tattoos. I can wear pants and suddenly- no tats! I dont wear pants at work unless its cold though because...nobody cares about dressing up either since it doesnt affect our success.
- My wife is a lawyer and has 2 tattoos. Neither are visible when she is leading presentations and meeting with policy makers. Its like they dont exist.
- My brother in law has 4 tattoos. Again, none are visible when wearing traditional business attire. He also doesnt have to wear that though since his company also recognizes it doesnt matter.

My point here(I feel I need to spell it out) is that you seem to think there are only two choices- no tats or tats covering all visible space on your body. That isnt reality. They can be covered up quite easily if the individual wants that when they get the tattoos.

If I were hiring for a daycare, even if they were qualified, I would think long and hard about hiring the woman with multiple tear tattoos under their eye and 'EVIL INSIDE' tattooed over they eyebrows. I would not think twice about hiring the qualified woman with a Claddagh tattoo on her ankle.

Its almost as if using
I work in a high line automobile dealership and one of our best salesmen has a full sleeve of tattoos on both arms. He wears a short sleeve polo shirt most of the time
Old 08-23-21, 12:09 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
I got tattooed with a calligraphy pen by the bully in fourth grade art class.
Likes For AlanO:
Old 08-23-21, 01:35 PM
bScanner

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Jamis Bosa Nova, Marin Muirwoods

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=majmt;22188830]I think this would be a cool cycling tattoo.

I like that idea.
Old 08-23-21, 05:31 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
i seem to get a temp tat on calf each and every mtb ride
That's actually the one cycling tattoo I would consider - just make it permanent, probably the right calf. No one would really get it, though.
Old 08-24-21, 07:26 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Old 08-24-21, 01:26 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
When he was racing, my son got a RD tattooed on his ankle.
Old 08-24-21, 01:34 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
That's actually the one cycling tattoo I would consider - just make it permanent, probably the right calf. No one would really get it, though.
but thats the secret to good tat...they are for you. i have 3..
4th on the way.only 1 is visible to public
​​​​the chainring grease tat is classic.
Old 08-24-21, 01:37 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
What is the average age around here?
I'd wager it has 2 digits and starts with a 6.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-24-21, 07:16 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Ok, mr tough guy

In the hiring climate we've been in for the past two years, if your business only hired folks with no visible tattoo's, you can expect to be woefully understaffed.
I would say that except for ministers, that ship sailed about 5 years ago. Except that I know too many young ministers with very visible tattoos.
Old 08-25-21, 01:45 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
This fad just makes me cringe.

Likes For Lazyass:
Old 08-25-21, 02:54 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I've been thinking about getting this tatttoed on my ass cheek for quite a while !
Old 08-25-21, 06:57 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Personally, I don't understand why anyone would want to Tattoo their body. It just kills me when I see an otherwise beautiful young woman, who has everything in the world going for her, have some abomination written or drawn across her body.

I realize that many members and their loved ones may have tattoos and I'm sure I'm not going to change (or trying to change) anyone's mind. But I just don't agree with any of the arguments or reasons for getting a tattoo. But don't worry, other than expressing this distaste for this fad in general I don't and wouldn't every criticize anyone in public or private regarding their choice, It's just that I really don't get it.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 08-25-21, 07:44 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
This fad just makes me cringe.

The sad thing is that she'd be quite attractive if not for all the ink in her skin and metal in her face. But, it's her life. I just wonder if, at age 60, she regrets inking up her face.
Likes For Milton Keynes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.