Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tiger1964’s 5 projects (B) 1961 Gitane

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Tiger1964’s 5 projects (B) 1961 Gitane

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-21, 07:22 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Unfortunately I've never measured the "stack height" of the Suntour Ultra when compared to the 5 speed, and at the moment I don't have one to measure.

Which Compact spaced 6 speed freewheel are you using? Atom, Regina, or Suntour? The sprockets look to be Atoms, but it is difficult to be certain.

Yes, the Ultra Spaced Suntour is a slight bit wider. The picture below is of the bodies for Perfect and ProCompe (L to R) 6 speed standard, 6 speed Ultra, 5 speed.

If you are using a Winner/New Winner/Winner Pro, Ultra spaced, there should be additional thin shims with the spacers. You might be able to achieve the 6 speed shifting by removing these shims, or placing them at the bottom or spoke side to take up any gaps when tightening the stack.

However, you should be prepared to run a modern chain, probably a 9 or 10 speed, in order to accommodate the tight spaces. I've run a 9 speed on Suntour Ultra 6 speeds with no issue.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 05-16-21, 06:46 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
I measured a 5 speed Suntour New Winner vs. an Ultra-6 and found the Ultra-6 to be 2 mm wider from the center of the inner cog to the center of the outer cog. That's a subtle difference, just over 1/16", but may be enough to exceed the capacity of that old Simplex.
Old 05-17-21, 09:08 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Unfortunately I've never measured the "stack height" of the Suntour Ultra when compared to the 5 speed, and at the moment I don't have one to measure. Which Compact spaced 6 speed freewheel are you using? Atom, Regina, or Suntour? The sprockets look to be Atoms, but it is difficult to be certain.
It says, "ATOM 77 COMPACT", I got from you, eh, three years ago, the first time I started the restoration and then stopped.

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Yes, the Ultra Spaced Suntour is a slight bit wider. The picture below is of the bodies for Perfect and ProCompe (L to R) 6 speed standard, 6 speed Ultra, 5 speed. If you are using a Winner/New Winner/Winner Pro, Ultra spaced, there should be additional thin shims with the spacers. You might be able to achieve the 6 speed shifting by removing these shims, or placing them at the bottom or spoke side to take up any gaps when tightening the stack. However, you should be prepared to run a modern chain, probably a 9 or 10 speed, in order to accommodate the tight spaces. I've run a 9 speed on Suntour Ultra 6 speeds with no issue.
Starting to think that if I really want 6 speeds, perhaps the Atom and the Suntour Ultra is off the table. I'd be interested in the "Winner solution", but unsure when your Freewheel Spa will be back to normal operations and possibly help me out. all contingent on my finding a 13-26ish five speed to use while all this is going on... the bike is so close to ready and I really want to start riding it -- for a while I presume I simply won't be able to access top gear. I certainly would not object to a chain change, right now 99% sure this one is a 7/8 speed KMC.

Originally Posted by daka
I measured a 5 speed Suntour New Winner vs. an Ultra-6 and found the Ultra-6 to be 2 mm wider from the center of the inner cog to the center of the outer cog. That's a subtle difference, just over 1/16", but may be enough to exceed the capacity of that old Simplex.
I'm inclined to agree, and I nosed around inside the Simplex looking for something I might grind down to provide a wee bit more travel, but do not see an obvious answer.

Old 09-05-21, 11:44 AM
tiger1964 

Finally got a shakedown ride today. I am very pleased with the results. I think the top tube is a wee bit long for my build, long legs but short arms/torso; I don't think I'll find a much shorter stem that what I have, but might be able to slide the seat forward a bit. Right now, with my elbow touching the nose of the saddle, my fingertip comes about 2 inches short of the handlebar centerline, which was always my go-to measurement.

I don't notice the brinnelling in the headset while riding, so I'll take my time finding a replacement short-stack headset that doesn't double the build cost of the bike. I must not have tightened the screws for the bottle cage straps enough, they were coming loose when I stopped mid-ride. And the antique bottle you see, an eBay purchase NOS still in the bag, leaks around the cap -- so it will become a display-only item.The frame geometry is such that I don't have concerns about riding with one hand off the bars, not easily said about my Masi and my Palo Alto; I have not tried riding hands-off yet.

Sadly, as you might see in another topic I started, I got a flat and could not get the tire off, so had to walk four miles home. Other than that, aa nice ride!

Old 09-05-21, 03:20 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Are bottles that old safe to drink out of, even NOS? I’ve always been told they weren’t but perhaps there are various considerations.
Old 09-05-21, 05:46 PM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by polymorphself
Are bottles that old safe to drink out of, even NOS? I’ve always been told they weren’t but perhaps there are various considerations.
Somehow I suspect you are correct. That said... no convulsions. YET.

When my brother did a 4 year stint in the Navy, he parked his racing bikes. Once out of the service, he brought one of the bikes out of storage and we were going to go for a ride. Old water bottle and very old water. I grabbed the bottle and drank the contents -- and did not die. This would have been 1967-1968, if I was going to have problems, I'd know by now.

Again; perhaps Not recommended. Still looking for good, modern, vintage-look water bottles.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 09-06-21, 10:30 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
Somehow I suspect you are correct. That said... no convulsions. YET.

When my brother did a 4 year stint in the Navy, he parked his racing bikes. Once out of the service, he brought one of the bikes out of storage and we were going to go for a ride. Old water bottle and very old water. I grabbed the bottle and drank the contents -- and did not die. This would have been 1967-1968, if I was going to have problems, I'd know by now.

Again; perhaps Not recommended. Still looking for good, modern, vintage-look water bottles.
Haha fair enough! For a bike this old (pre 1970s and nearly 1950's), would stainless steel fit the bill? I've seen some vintage reproductions of those around.

Last edited by polymorphself; 09-06-21 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-06-21, 12:02 PM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by polymorphself
Haha fair enough! For a bike this old (pre 1970s and nearly 1950's), would stainless steel fit the bill? I've seen some vintage reproductions of those around.
Maybe! I do have a period -- if not even older -- aluminum "Allez" bottle polished up and saving for a different (1958 Drysdale) project. That said, I wonder what's lurking in the bottom of that one too! I'll certainly consider SS.