Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Good spots to ride in east TN/West NC

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-20, 07:08 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts

I moved to eastern TN/Western NC about a year and I am slowly getting back into riding. What are some good spots to ride in this area?
Thanks!
Old 09-30-20, 07:46 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly907la
I moved to eastern TN/Western NC about a year and I am slowly getting back into riding. What are some good spots to ride in this area?
Thanks!
For starters, Deals Gap/Trail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway. All have extensive climbing but those are prime areas that stack up to about anywhere on this continent. It's hard to find flat rides around here. Another option, not pancake flat but grades hardly ever go over 2% is the Virginia Creeper (rails to trails). It starts just past the NE tip of TN and actually ends in NC if you go to the very very end. Let me know where you live and the type of riding you want and I can probably provide more info.
Old 10-01-20, 05:32 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Re:

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
For starters, Deals Gap/Trail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway. All have extensive climbing but those are prime areas that stack up to about anywhere on this continent. It's hard to find flat rides around here. Another option, not pancake flat but grades hardly ever go over 2% is the Virginia Creeper (rails to trails). It starts just past the NE tip of TN and actually ends in NC if you go to the very very end. Let me know where you live and the type of riding you want and I can probably provide more info.
I live Unacoi county.
Old 10-01-20, 09:03 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly907la
I live Unacoi county.
You're in cycling paradise if you're up for lots of hills. You're real close to LIttle Switzerland which is some of the best riding on BRP and you're close to Mt Mitchell, (although only familiar approaching if from Marion, not the north side).

I have limited experience MTBing near that area, but Kingsport TN has a few decent options and Pisgah has tons of outstanding riding. Neither are too far from where you're at. As far as gravel riding, if you go to where I-40 meets the NC state line, there is some great riding. There's also a well-run gravel race series out there. Nothing is flat.

That's what I'm intimately aware of living in Knoxville. I bet I haven't even scratched the surface. You said you were just getting back into riding. Make sure you have low enough gears. Hills can go on literally for miles and miles.

Last edited by Rogerogeroge; 10-01-20 at 09:04 PM. Reason: s
Old 10-02-20, 08:23 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
You're in cycling paradise if you're up for lots of hills. You're real close to LIttle Switzerland which is some of the best riding on BRP and you're close to Mt Mitchell, (although only familiar approaching if from Marion, not the north side).

I have limited experience MTBing near that area, but Kingsport TN has a few decent options and Pisgah has tons of outstanding riding. Neither are too far from where you're at. As far as gravel riding, if you go to where I-40 meets the NC state line, there is some great riding. There's also a well-run gravel race series out there. Nothing is flat.

That's what I'm intimately aware of living in Knoxville. I bet I haven't even scratched the surface. You said you were just getting back into riding. Make sure you have low enough gears. Hills can go on literally for miles and miles.
I'll have to work towards doing the longer and tougher rides, and did some research on my own and there are many trails in this area. One's a 4 mile bike path right near my home. Thanks for giving me those suggestions!!! Much appreciated!!!