Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Clear Coat Repair

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Clear Coat Repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-21, 10:26 AM
dae91n

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Clear Coat Repair

I recently purchased a 2002 (2003?) Cross Check and upon bringing it home I noticed the clear coat has/is peeling away on the underside of the top tube. Does anyone have a good DIY remedy or able to direct me to a previous thread on this issue? Thanks!

Edit: I tried to add a photo, but the upload didn't work! Sorry!

Edit 2: Added a photo

Last edited by dae91n; 07-16-21 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-15-21, 11:25 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Depending on how large the peeling area is…you might try clear fingernail polish.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 07-15-21 at 12:05 PM.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 07-15-21, 11:56 AM
dae91n

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Most of the spots are no larger than 1.5 cm
Old 07-15-21, 12:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Are you sure it's the clear coat? I tend to sweat a lot and along with splashing drink from my bottles, the underside of my top tube has at times looked like bumped up finish or bad spots in the paint.

A wet rag will clean off all the salt and sugar pretty quick.

If it is clear coat, and not in someplace highly visible, then I'd just get some clear coat touch up from the autoparts store. While feathering out the edge of the broken clear coat might seem the thing to do, I wouldn't. You'll probably sand through the paint that is missing the clear coat.

So just wipe it with some isopropyl alcohol real good before painting or acetone. But be very careful with the acetone if you use that and don't soak your rag with it. Some finishes acetone can remove very quick. It was or still is used for nail polish remover.

If you have to try and feather the edge some, then use 800 to 1200 wet/dry sand paper and be verrrrrrry careful.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-18-21, 06:37 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Those are small and not in a highly visible spot so I agree with clear nail polish or better clear coat touch up. If rotated chip up for gravity to help I have had good luck with dabbed clear coat or finger nail polish thinned with acetone in thin coats until it is built up to the level of the original clear coat. the nice thing about polish is it comes right off with acetone if you don't like you work. If needed as said I have use wet sand paper down to 2000 then Meguiar's G10307 ScratchX 2.0 Scratch Blemish Remover and/or just Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.
Likes For easyupbug: