Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rene Herse offering 8 80th anniversary bicycles

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-21, 08:19 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts

Story here and in the newest Bicycle Quarterly. I’ve got the issue but haven’t had a chance to fully read through yet.

Last edited by polymorphself; 08-12-21 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-12-21, 08:31 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
$13,900, yeah, why not.
Old 08-12-21, 08:52 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by gugie
$13,900, yeah, why not.
Yeah, I briefly read the basics and it seems insane but hey. Personally, I’m not sure why you’d pay so much for something that is branded as the real deal but isn’t (I know they’re not trying to pass it off as such a thing, but still), especially with such a historically significant name. That being said, seems like they’ll be wonderful bikes for someone with tons of love going into them. I suppose it’s worth something that they mention that even at that price they won’t be making any money on them.

but…yeah. I’m hoping the rest of the article is a nice read at least.

Last edited by polymorphself; 08-12-21 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-12-21, 09:24 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
There’ll be a choice of drivetrains, either 12-speed SRAM eTap electronic shifting or a Nivex rear and Rene Herse lever-operated front derailleur”

Some of this article reads like a bad April 1st joke in the middle of August.
Likes For SoccerBallXan:
Old 08-12-21, 09:56 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
$13,900, yeah, why not.
And only if they decide you rate one. Sheesh

DD
Old 08-12-21, 10:21 PM
polymorphself 

What are people paying for the all the best options Weigles, Chapmans, etc?
Old 08-12-21, 10:23 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
And only if they decide you rate one. Sheesh

DD
Fanboy gotta have what fanboy want
Old 08-12-21, 10:59 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Does the bike world have "blues lawyers"?

Likes For bargo68:
Old 08-12-21, 11:01 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by SoccerBallXan
There’ll be a choice of drivetrains, either 12-speed SRAM eTap electronic shifting or a Nivex rear and Rene Herse lever-operated front derailleur”

Some of this article reads like a bad April 1st joke in the middle of August.
How do you have SRAM on a Renee Herse?
Likes For Het Volk:
Old 08-12-21, 11:36 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Especially the current generation of SRAM. I mean, I've put plenty of modern components (brifters and electronic shifting) on vintage bikes, but the overall aesthetic composition of an eTap-equipped RH had better be extremely carefully selected. That will be a challenge. I also hope the headset/steerer/stem integration will be a lot better than the dark blue RH pictured (Jan's ride). Like, dear Lord, just put a freaking Nitto Pearl or something on it and have it look a billion times better/cleaner. Or get an Innicycle headset (which I am running on my Trek 620), which is superb.
Old 08-13-21, 12:07 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
I also hope the headset/steerer/stem integration will be a lot better than the dark blue RH pictured (Jan's ride). Like, dear Lord, just put a freaking Nitto Pearl or something on it and have it look a billion times better/cleaner. Or get an Innicycle headset (which I am running on my Trek 620), which is superb.
I dunno, that's how my real René Herse is. I guess it looks janky but it is lighter weight than a Pearl, because there's no quill/bolt/expander. An old Cinelli with the aluminum expander bolt from OMAS comes close, but I'm pretty sure the Herse setup is still lighter. Downside is the stem is mandatory slammed, but Jan sorta waves his hands and excuses himself of that in the blog post.

As for the bikes not being real Herses - I agree. He's got the name trademark from the late Lyli, so legally yes Jan can build a bike and call it a Herse, but I agree it'll never be a real one because the tradition's broken. I do wonder what the old French guys think. Like no doubt a Singer is still a Singer, but their shop never closed, and the tradition has been handed down directly from builder to builder, so maybe that's the difference? Or is the difference the incessant self-promotion and self-righteousness, and a certain type of fans and followers, while the real Herse was perhaps more humble, copied good ideas from others, and let his work speak for itself? I want to get to Levallois again and talk with Olivier, Thomas, and the rest of the Singer gang about it. They will have a nice long perspective, and we all need that.

Finally, I think you can buy a Singer for cheaper, and they'll build one for whoever pays!! But if I didn't have designs to roll my own, my choice would be a L'avecaise for what it's worth.
Old 08-13-21, 12:23 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I dunno, that's how my real René Herse is. I guess it looks janky but it is lighter weight than a Pearl, because there's no quill/bolt/expander. An old Cinelli with the aluminum expander bolt from OMAS comes close, but I'm pretty sure the Herse setup is still lighter. Downside is the stem is mandatory slammed, but Jan sorta waves his hands and excuses himself of that in the blog post.

Finally, I think you can buy a Singer for cheaper, and they'll build one for whoever pays!! But if I didn't have designs to roll my own, my choice would be a L'avecaise for what it's worth.
Jan's bike has a new/modern headset with the RH stem (essentially a quill conversion with a 'threadless' stem if reference images are anything to go by--done many a conversion). Its gesture is janky and its angle and aesthetic relative to the rest of the bike is incongruous to the rest of the bike. At any rate, it doesn't matter, ultimately, to non-owners of RH's.

A custom Lyon would be really cool to have built--either level of his offerings.
Old 08-13-21, 01:07 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Like I said over at the paceline

If I was going to spent this much money on a bike this would bet near the top if not the top of my list
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 08-13-21, 02:55 AM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
What are people paying for the all the best options Weigles, Chapmans, etc?
My Chapman was less than half of that. I was 3rd owner of my Weigle, but less than half of that. I’ll pass.
Likes For Vonruden:
Old 08-13-21, 03:05 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Like I said over at the paceline

If I was going to spent this much money on a bike this would bet near the top if not the top of my list
I enjoy road riding, and gravel, and mountain biking, and $12k can get me a nice bike in each of those domains

But one of those René herse bikes would be a randonneur for life ❤️😍
Likes For SapInMyBlood:
Old 08-13-21, 06:26 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I don't think I will buy one. I have too many bikes that i like already, and the cost is an order of magnitude higher than I've ever paid for a bike.

But I'd love to rent one for a season.
Old 08-13-21, 06:37 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Jan's bike has a new/modern headset with the RH stem (essentially a quill conversion with a 'threadless' stem if reference images are anything to go by--done many a conversion). Its gesture is janky and its angle and aesthetic relative to the rest of the bike is incongruous to the rest of the bike. At any rate, it doesn't matter, ultimately, to non-owners of RH's.
It's a threaded headset, but the steerer has a smaller-diameter, non-threaded 7/8" extension going up above. This is usually a short piece of steel tube, brazed in. The machined aluminum stem clamps to this. That's the way it is on my old tandem, and probably the way it works here, judging by the photos. It really looks like it's done the same way as the original. I don't want you to think I'm defending the concept, but the stem setup is pretty true to the original. Only difference is, originals had one bolt clamping the stem on the steerer, whereas his has two. But the originals sometimes broke at that bolt (a scary failure to have). I agree it's a little janky, but again it's pretty lightweight simply because it ditches a lot of parts. Jan probably also did it to incorporate his headlight switch. Which southpawboston tells me is also pretty janky, and not waterproof!

Last edited by scarlson; 08-13-21 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-13-21, 06:44 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
It's a threaded headset, but the steerer has a smaller-diameter, non-threaded 7/8" extension going up above. This is usually a short piece of steel tube, brazed in. The machined aluminum stem clamps to this. That's the way it is on my old tandem, and probably the way it works here, judging by the photos. It really looks like it's done the same way as the original. I don't want you to think I'm defending the concept, but the stem setup is pretty true to the original. Only difference is, originals had one bolt clamping the stem on the steerer, whereas his has two. But the originals sometimes broke at that bolt (a scary failure to have). I agree it's a little janky, but again it's pretty lightweight simply because it ditches a lot of parts. Jan probably also did it to incorporate his headlight switch. Which southpawboston tells me is also pretty janky, and not waterproof!

I've been looking for a bicycle headlight switch more quite a fee months. Do yo have a picture of it?
Old 08-13-21, 06:46 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
I think they're pretty cool bikes. Wouldn't buy one because I already have a pair of rides that serve the same purpose.
Will be interesting to see who the target market turns out to be, assuming that diehard rando/brevet types who would use a tool like this to maximum advantage already have at least one bike set up to their liking.
Old 08-13-21, 07:09 AM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I've been looking for a bicycle headlight switch more quite a fee months. Do yo have a picture of it?
Paging @southpawboston will be here to help you shortly!!
Old 08-13-21, 07:15 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
So what is Color 3?
Old 08-13-21, 07:31 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Look at all the fast randonneurs riding fat tires and steel.

Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-13-21, 07:35 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts

As for the bikes not being real Herses - I agree. He's got the name trademark from the late Lyli, so legally yes Jan can build a bike and call it a Herse, but I agree it'll never be a real one because the tradition's broken. I do wonder what the old French guys think. Like no doubt a Singer is still a Singer, but their shop never closed, and the tradition has been handed down directly from builder to builder, so maybe that's the difference? Or is the difference the incessant self-promotion and self-righteousness, and a certain type of fans and followers, while the real Herse was perhaps more humble, copied good ideas from others, and let his work speak for itself? I want to get to Levallois again and talk with Olivier, Thomas, and the rest of the Singer gang about it. They will have a nice long perspective, and we all need that.

I can think of much less dignified fates for classic French brands: https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 08-13-21, 09:58 AM
scarlson 

Oh yea, for sure. Jan and BQ and Herse resurrections are a net positive to the cycling community, in spite of all the pomp and prideful manner. Alls I'm sayin is, it coulda been done more subtly.

I do wonder what Jan means when he says "we ask riders what they plan to do with the bikes and why they want one, and allocate the bikes based on that". How serious is this? Is this going to be a college admissions essay type thing? As an academic, I am intrigued.

And for what it is, he's right, the price is a steal.
Old 08-13-21, 10:32 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Wow, Mr. Heine claps back in sentence #2 of his blog post: "Apart from the inevitable 'I didn’t know top-of-the-line bikes cost THAT much!' from retrogrouches who still remember the days when the dollar was strong and imported bikes were available for peanuts, there’s a lot of excitement."

Cat likes to scratch.
Likes For noobinsf:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.