Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Baja & Trikes

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Baja & Trikes

Old 11-01-22, 02:03 PM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Baja & Trikes

I am planning to ride from Yuma to Cabo beginning in mid to late January 2023. My wife is considering going with me. She has a recumbent trike. Does anyone know if the bus from Cabo to the USA border accepts recumbent trikes and if so what, if any, packing needs to be done. For that matter, do the buses require packing of a regular bike? I have emailed the bus company a couple of times but not response. Any thoughts or suggestions from those who have ridden the paved Baja, especially in regards to trikes, traffic, etc. would be appreciated.
Old 11-01-22, 10:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I would double check with the bus company as they can give you the most up to date info and would be best to answer those questions. Have fun though and hopefully you can get your wife to join. If nothing else there might be a way to ship it, ship it real good...
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-02-22, 06:54 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would double check with the bus company as they can give you the most up to date info and would be best to answer those questions.
As mentioned in my original post, I have contacted the bus company but have not heard anything from them. I tried calling once but was on the old "music hold" for 20 minutes so hung up as it is an international call.

So if anyone has info, it would be appreciated. Thanks!
Likes For John N:
Old 11-02-22, 07:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by John N
As mentioned in my original post, I have contacted the bus company but have not heard anything from them. I tried calling once but was on the old "music hold" for 20 minutes so hung up as it is an international call.

So if anyone has info, it would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sorry bad reading, it does say that. Oopsies. Good luck though hopefully they eventually respond.
Old 11-02-22, 08:03 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 171 Posts
I cycled down the Baja Peninsula between Thanksgiving and Christmas in 2016 and enjoyed my trip.

There is a reasonable variety of traffic density with some areas in the north and around La Paz with a lot of traffic and some areas in the middle sparse and desolate. On average, the shoulders were OK in the populated areas but I also encountered some places with narrow shoulders and moderate traffic but including larger trucks where I found myself watching my mirrors and getting off the road once or twice.

One of the worst areas was under construction so might be better now. However, given three wheels tracking for trike I might anticipate you'll have a day or two (not all the time) where you might need to watch mirrors and adjust to traffic. The rest of the route will be better.
Likes For mev:
Old 11-02-22, 08:24 PM
John N

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Sorry bad reading, it does say that. Oopsies. Good luck though hopefully they eventually respond.
No worries. We all do it
Likes For John N:
Old 11-02-22, 08:25 PM
John N

Mev, thanks for the info. Yeah, I think there might be a few "bailings" on the route. Were the drivers good or bad overall?
Old 11-03-22, 12:29 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by John N
Were the drivers good or bad overall?
Generally good. My expectations had been set low - so it surprised me on the better than expected aspect.

Looking at the map, I came down the west side, entering from Tecate and then via Ensenada so some of those narrow/busy roads - are not on your route if you come from Yuma - so hopefully that also helps.