Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else receive their Jack the Bike Rack?!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else receive their Jack the Bike Rack?!

Old 11-19-22, 11:02 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 263 Posts
I saw this before it came out. Nicely made. Did not want to wait so I made one to support my current bag to keep it from flopping down. Mine is not as versatile but does the job.
Old 11-20-22, 07:26 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
I saw this before it came out. Nicely made. Did not want to wait so I made one to support my current bag to keep it from flopping down. Mine is not as versatile but does the job.
The randonneur world is full of bag supports, famously Nitto’s F16, so yeah, waiting for Jack, which is probably overkill in that role anyway, would have been wasted time, particularly given the COVID impact.
Old 11-21-22, 06:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,301 Times in 7,232 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I know I'm kind of hammering on the OP here, but he does have a long history of threads about his latest overly-complicated acquisitions, and about the modifications and other hassles he goes through in order to get them into workable states. This one is particularly memorable.
I remember that now. Especially the part about the trials and tribulations of extracting a wallet from a jersey pocket.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-21-22, 08:36 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Is anyone familiar with the Bertrand Russell quote, “A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand”??

Call it “translation error,” but it seems to happen a lot in the cycling world, especially because it’s such a nuanced and individualized activity, and we each have very distinct experiences doing it.

Last edited by chaadster; 11-21-22 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-21-22, 10:41 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Is anyone familiar with the Bertrand Russell quote, “A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand”??
This post is sooo on-brand for you. Kudos!
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-21-22, 10:51 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
This post is sooo on-brand for you. Kudos!
Wonder if he pulled that quote out of his jersey pocket.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-21-22, 11:09 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Meh. If the fork has eyelets, what about a regular rack and some quick release pins?
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-21-22, 11:27 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by seypat
Meh. If the fork has eyelets, what about a regular rack and some quick release pins?
Something like this.

Old 11-21-22, 12:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts

Call it “translation error,” but it seems to happen a lot in the cycling world, especially because it’s such a nuanced and individualized activity, and we each have very distinct experiences doing it.
I can confidently say I am not familiar with that quote. Is it a famous quote?
Are you one of those people who actually has dozens of quotes memorized and uses them in regular conversation? Or are you once of those people who googles for quotes before posting one on message boards?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-21-22, 12:28 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,254 Times in 724 Posts
Are we really discussing racks being stolen? I am generally more concerned about the items placed on the rack than I am the rack itself.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-21-22, 12:45 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I can confidently say I am not familiar with that quote. Is it a famous quote?
Are you one of those people who actually has dozens of quotes memorized and uses them in regular conversation? Or are you once of those people who googles for quotes before posting one on message boards?
I had to look the guy up. I'll admit, I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express lately. My kids did name one of our cats Kirchhoff, though. There's that.
Old 11-21-22, 12:51 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by phughes
Are we really discussing racks being stolen? I am generally more concerned about the items placed on the rack than I am the rack itself.
I have had $460 worth of racks (current replacement value) attached to my bike continuously (except when removed for boxing) for years. And I lock my bike outside in the big city. As long as your racks are not easily removeable (e.g., you can't get them off quickly without tools) and you don't do something stupid, like leave your bike out overnight, I think your racks are safe. Even if you were to leave your bike out overnight, I think the chances of racks going missing are pretty slim.

Cue the "There is a thief lurking behind every lamppost to seat anything" crowd.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-21-22, 01:18 PM
seypat

I think the more important questions are:

Anyone eaten at a Jack In The Box lately?
Anyone ever traveled to the land of Misfit toys? (It's nearly Christmas time)
Old 11-21-22, 03:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have had $460 worth of racks (current replacement value) attached to my bike continuously (except when removed for boxing) for years. And I lock my bike outside in the big city. As long as your racks are not easily removeable (e.g., you can't get them off quickly without tools) and you don't do something stupid, like leave your bike out overnight, I think your racks are safe. Even if you were to leave your bike out overnight, I think the chances of racks going missing are pretty slim.

Cue the "There is a thief lurking behind every lamppost to seat anything" crowd.
Your racks are long gone, I replaced them with a 1:1 scale picture of your racks on the bike. I look surprisingly like a lamppost...LOLOLOL

If I were a thief I wouldn't go after the racks I want the whole damn bike I can get the rack and so much more. I have never really worried about racks when locking up and like Indy I wouldn't keep my bike out overnight but if I did they would if the bike was still there probably still be on the bike. Wheels maybe gone if not locked up properly lights probably yeah but a bolt on rack I doubt anyone would steal. As a commuter and touring cyclist I find racks really handy but I don't see them as high value items for thieves because they require work to get off and are probably not going to sell for as much. Maybe I am wrong but I just don't feel like they are a wanted item for thieves.
Old 11-21-22, 04:33 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Your racks are long gone, I replaced them with a 1:1 scale picture of your racks on the bike. I look surprisingly like a lamppost...LOLOLOL

If I were a thief I wouldn't go after the racks I want the whole damn bike I can get the rack and so much more. I have never really worried about racks when locking up and like Indy I wouldn't keep my bike out overnight but if I did they would if the bike was still there probably still be on the bike. Wheels maybe gone if not locked up properly lights probably yeah but a bolt on rack I doubt anyone would steal. As a commuter and touring cyclist I find racks really handy but I don't see them as high value items for thieves because they require work to get off and are probably not going to sell for as much. Maybe I am wrong but I just don't feel like they are a wanted item for thieves.
As noted, I agree. An exception might be a bike that is left out for a while and eventually stripped for recycling money.

Sadly, back in 2010 I had my custom Robert Beckman racks stolen from my house along with the LHT they were attached to. (Accidentally left the front door unlocked a week before Christmas. We were home and awake when the person came in.) The racks and accompanying panniers, which only work with the racks, cost, in 1999, about what I paid for the LHT in 2008. Screw the bike. The racks were far more important. I sometimes wonder what became of them.

Beckman was/is an odd fellow, but he made terrific stuff. My gear was delivered in May. He didn’t charge my credit card until September. What if I had switched cards or even died during my cross country tour?

Last edited by indyfabz; 11-21-22 at 04:37 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-21-22, 06:28 PM
seypat

As noted, I agree. An exception might be a bike that is left out for a while and eventually stripped for recycling money.

Sadly, back in 2010 I had my custom Robert Beckman racks stolen from my house along with the LHT they were attached to. (Accidentally left the front door unlocked a week before Christmas. We were home and awake when the person came in.) The racks and accompanying panniers, which only work with the racks, cost, in 1999, about what I paid for the LHT in 2008. Screw the bike. The racks were far more important. I sometimes wonder what became of them.

Beckman was/is an odd fellow, but he made terrific stuff. My gear was delivered in May. He didn’t charge my credit card until September. What if I had switched cards or even died during my cross country tour?
Did Beckman have any notable quotes?
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-21-22, 07:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

I have seen a few of those. Over a year the bike was stripped to a frame until they finally took the bike to impound or wherever the city takes it. It was kind of ridiculous how every week or so more would be missing.
Old 11-21-22, 07:00 PM
indyfabz

Did Beckman have any notable quotes?
“My stuff is better than Bruce Gordon’s.”
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-22-22, 07:02 AM
indyfabz

I think the more important questions are:

Anyone eaten at a Jack In The Box lately?
Anyone ever traveled to the land of Misfit toys? (It's nearly Christmas time)
No one wants to eat at a Charlie in the Box.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-22-22, 12:54 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts

The scolders and grouches are out full force for a simple rack review. You do a great job ignoring the usual crew as they congratulate each other over the expected and unimaginative smart-ass comments Thanks for the post, as I was interested when the Kickstarter came out and glad to see it was successful.

A Wald Rack as an alternative, seriously?
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 11-22-22, 01:05 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Seriously.

And see post #17 for other alternatives.
Old 11-22-22, 01:24 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Seriously.

And see post #17 for other alternatives.
Thanks for making my point! 35,728 posts and counting, time well spent.
Old 11-22-22, 01:34 PM
indyfabz

Thanks for making my point! 35,728 posts and counting, time well spent.
Actually, I was being serious with "Seriously." You might not think it's an alternative, but you know what they say about opinions, don't you?
Old 11-22-22, 02:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I fail to see how a Wald rack which is a well regarded U.S. made product is not an alternative in this situation. Wald racks might be steel and heavy but they are well built well used racks/baskets and have been for a long long long long long time (1905 actually). I fail to see why they are a poor solution or not an alternative to a random bicycle rack from crowdfunding.

The beach chair was funny I laughed because well it is kinda true and good to have some sense of humor.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-22-22, 03:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Honest question: have you ever used one?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.