Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Magnetic Helmet Visors: Standardized?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Magnetic Helmet Visors: Standardized?

Old 11-23-22, 12:55 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
Magnetic Helmet Visors: Are They Standardized?

Meaning, would any three-magnet visor fit any three-magnet helmet, or do both helmet and visor need to be the same brand?

Last edited by sjanzeir; 11-23-22 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-23-22, 01:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I bought a "Basecamp" brand helmet with a tinted visor 9/14/18 & a clear visor 2/21/19.

I remember some issue with the visor not fitting correctly, I think the magnets were reversed, I don't remember so they made me a free replacement.

I would tend to think you should stick to the same brand, but obviously even if you do, there might be a problem.

FWIW - Basecamp was really good about getting back to me about my questions.

The tinted visor gets used the most. I only used the clear one at night

I'm using a front mounted camera mount right now on another helmet so I'm not using my Basecamp right now

why are you asking?

if you sweat like I do, you should know they cut down on ventilation. if you're moving they are OK, but when I stop I have to flip it up & I can't use them in the summer

altho I see I did use the clear on non sunny days

it's nice that they store upside down

during the strictest of covid times

lots of ppl use ski goggles in the winter. I took the foam inserts our of the vents to get better ventilation

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-23-22 at 01:25 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-15-22, 02:19 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
I'm asking because I want to buy a better (and better-fitting) visor helmet than the cheap, oversized, Dahon-branded one that I have now and stopped wearing (don't worry, I still use my Bontrager helmet at all times.) I see a lot of off-brand visor helmets on Amazon with quite a few visor choices, but I'd rather avoid those and get a quality one - I'm just having a hard time finding one. It would be nice to be able to use visors other than those of the same brand as the helmet.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 12-15-22, 04:59 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
I'm asking because I want to buy a better (and better-fitting) visor helmet than the cheap, oversized, Dahon-branded one that I have now and stopped wearing (don't worry, I still use my Bontrager helmet at all times.) I see a lot of off-brand visor helmets on Amazon with quite a few visor choices, but I'd rather avoid those and get a quality one - I'm just having a hard time finding one. It would be nice to be able to use visors other than those of the same brand as the helmet.
too bad stores can't stock all the options so we can walk in & try what we want. online shopping makes things easier but also sometimes waaaay more complicated, eh?