Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New, but inspired by vintage

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-25-22, 07:00 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 91 Posts

Looks like a fairly decent steel bike for $650.
22 pounds? Hmmmm...

State Bikes...

Old 11-25-22, 07:14 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,298 Times in 3,633 Posts
Agreed, turn key, very reasonable $$$ and ready to rock.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-25-22, 07:29 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Nice.... and since its a limited run to 50, eventually might even become a cult object once, when everyone else cries "I should have bought one as well BITD".
Good to see that some still understand, that vintage or even vintage-eque modern should not necessarily be equal to $$$
Likes For Lattz:
Old 11-25-22, 07:35 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
It's a nicely sorted out build - though the by-the-numbers Merckx ripoff suggests a certain lack of imagination.

As much as I want to say nice things about it, the lack of lugs just doesn't cut it - for me, at least. The TIG welds aren't badly done, but it still reminds me of those cheap diamond frame fixies that flooded the market 10 years ago (which State most definitely was a part of), once manufacturers realized young folks were buying things that looked like C&V framesets.

I realize that you don't get much for your money these days, but - honestly, at that price point, I'd expect a retro frameset to come lugged - especially for such a limited run. Weird dropouts, a sloping top tube, a 1-1/8" headtube, or threadless headset - I can look aside to that, but TIG instead of lugs? Just doesn't hit the right nostalgia buttons. You'd think lugged would technically be easier to build on an assembly line too.

In some ways - this reminds me of the Raleigh SBDU replica debacle from last year, just in a more affordable package (and thus shouldn't be scrutinized as hard as the Raleigh) from a different manufacturer than the homage.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 11-25-22 at 07:39 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-25-22, 07:49 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
I believe the lower-end / heavier lugged frames can be mass produced on an assembly line - but the high-end lightweight lugged frames are hand brazed
Old 11-25-22, 07:52 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 310 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
It's a nicely sorted out build - though the by-the-numbers Merckx ripoff suggests a certain lack of imagination.

As much as I want to say nice things about it, the lack of lugs just doesn't cut it - for me, at least. The TIG welds aren't badly done, but it still reminds me of those cheap diamond frame fixies that flooded the market 10 years ago (which State most definitely was a part of), once manufacturers realized young folks were buying things that looked like C&V framesets.

I realize that you don't get much for your money these days, but - honestly, at that price point, I'd expect a retro frameset to come lugged - especially for such a limited run. Weird dropouts, a sloping top tube, a 1-1/8" headtube, or threadless headset - I can look aside to that, but TIG instead of lugs? Just doesn't hit the right nostalgia buttons. You'd think lugged would technically be easier to build on an assembly line too.

In some ways - this reminds me of the Raleigh SBDU replica debacle from last year, just in a more affordable package (and thus shouldn't be scrutinized as hard as the Raleigh) from a different manufacturer than the homage.

-Kurt
Been in your LBS recently? Lugged frame complete bike new for $650? That would be astounding! I'm guessing that globally the number of factories set up to produce quality lugged frames is small and shrinking, and as far as I know you cannot buy a new lugged frameset from anyone in the USA for less than a grand -- I'd say this is a deal. Yes, I agree, lugs would be nicer, but this thing is a bargain by today's standards. It is not really for the committed C&V hobbyist, but for those who want to get the feel and look without lots of effort in refurbishing something...
Old 11-25-22, 08:07 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by JulesCW
Been in your LBS recently? Lugged frame complete bike new for $650? That would be astounding! I'm guessing that globally the number of factories set up to produce quality lugged frames is small and shrinking, and as far as I know you cannot buy a new lugged frameset from anyone in the USA for less than a grand -- I'd say this is a deal. Yes, I agree, lugs would be nicer, but this thing is a bargain by today's standards. It is not really for the committed C&V hobbyist, but for those who want to get the feel and look without lots of effort in refurbishing something...
My LBS wouldn't have this bike available either, if one wanted to split hairs about it

But as for it being a deal - I'm not sure I'd call a $150 markup for a saddle and paint job a deal. The deal, perhaps, is the base model State 4130 Road which this is based on - which is currently $499: https://www.statebicycle.com/product...road-americana. The only thing that really seems to stand out as different (minus the paint job) is the Selle Italia Turbo.

I'm not sure one can generalize that much about what State is thinking with these. There's one thing about marketing to the non-mechanically inclined rider that likes a vintage look, but when your clientele is small enough that your entire run is all of 50 pieces, it feels as if they're testing the waters to see if a vintage inspired paint job will help these move at a higher price.

P.S.: I wouldn't be surprised if at least a few companies in Taiwan (where this is made) have the tooling to do lugged frames, but have had little reason to recommission it. It's probably a bit unusual to gear up for steel production for US buyers, for that matter.

-Kurt

Old 11-25-22, 08:15 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by 67tony
Looks like a fairly decent steel bike for $650.
22 pounds? Hmmmm...
betcha the 22 pound version is this one. no pedals and these bars
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 11-25-22, 09:40 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
Really let's you know what a deal we are getting with a vintage Reynolds or Columbus frame when you find a used one that fits.
Old 11-25-22, 10:30 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 363 Times in 195 Posts
I know this sounds harsh, but I strongly dislike this bike, and the other State models that share this frame. Why? Because they didn't include a left shifter boss. I have nothing against 1x setups or selling this bike with a 1x drivetrain, but how many dollars did they save leaving off the second boss and a nice cap to cover it? Not many, I'd guess, so it's inexcusable to me that they've made it harder and less appealing for anyone who wants to modify this bike from its stock configuration in the future to do so.
Old 11-25-22, 10:33 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by lasauge
I know this sounds harsh, but I strongly dislike this bike, and the other State models that share this frame. Why? Because they didn't include a left shifter boss. I have nothing against 1x setups or selling this bike with a 1x drivetrain, but how many dollars did they save leaving off the second boss and a nice cap to cover it? Not many, I'd guess, so it's inexcusable to me that they've made it harder and less appealing for anyone who wants to modify this bike from its stock configuration in the future to do so.
Don't forget that the seattube isn't round, and thus you can't mount an FD to it.

Come to think of it, now I'm irritated by the vertical dropouts. If it had horizontal drops, at least it would facilitate an IGH, which could benefit from the single boss.

-Kurt

Old 11-25-22, 10:45 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
That fork

And that's all I have to say about that.

DD
Old 11-26-22, 12:39 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
That fork

And that's all I have to say about that.
Forks can be replaced, but frames have to be right the first time.

Case in point, this is one of Mike Terraferma's personal frames. The frame is done and over, but that hasn't stopped Mike from rethinking the fork; in other words, a curved fork is in its future.

That's not to say the straight blade trend is waning, but some are thinking twice about their appropriateness on lugged or C&V-inspired steel.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-26-22, 03:14 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,459 Posts
It’s very interesting idea. Sure it doesn’t have lugs and uses a 1 1/8 HS but they ended up with a nice over all pancake that would appeal to someone not wanting plastic. To bad they only built a limited number are ther plans to do more?

I agree the graphics choice is weak and I’m the Merckx people aren’t to happy.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-26-22, 03:52 AM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
I believe the lower-end / heavier lugged frames can be mass produced on an assembly line - but the high-end lightweight lugged frames are hand brazed
Miyata used robot brazing to make high-end lugged frames in the 1980s, they advertised this in their catalogs. Supposedly the robot brazing was so precise that nothing required filing afterwards.
Old 11-26-22, 05:16 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Don't mind the fork, but the downtube shifter makes it less desirable to me, especially with those bars.
Should be 1x xx with a thumbie. The graphics leave a bit to be desired, as well. But the fork, the fork is cool, It's got a jaunty rake.
Those Maxy/Dura Ace looking cranks on the second bike are nice too
Old 11-26-22, 05:58 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Nice bike!!!! Years ago, State had a bad wrap about Q.C. Did they get better and if so, what is changed?
Old 11-26-22, 07:09 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Okay, I‘ll put this one out there: My new Fitz--TIG welded, steel,1 1/8“ thredless, straight-blade fork and also low trail:

Old 11-26-22, 09:36 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 293 Posts
All I know is when I’m showing up to a group hammerfest, I’m not looking for “Casually” to trigger fear and self-doubt in others!
Likes For plonz:
Old 11-26-22, 10:17 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Okay, I‘ll put this one out there: My new Fitz--TIG welded, steel,1 1/8“ thredless, straight-blade fork and also low trail:

How are fitz bikes? I've always wondered.
Old 11-26-22, 10:37 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz
All I know is when I’m showing up to a group hammerfest, I’m not looking for “Casually” to trigger fear and self-doubt in others!
The frame/fork construction wasn't unexpected, but that name, lol.

What were the other options? Saunter? Sensibly? Takin' it easy?
Likes For BFisher:
Old 11-26-22, 11:44 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
It's obviously a very pretty bike but all in all the deciding factor in it's success will be if they sell...

And for how much...
Old 11-26-22, 01:20 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by BFisher
The frame/fork construction wasn't unexpected, but that name, lol.

What were the other options? Saunter? Sensibly? Takin' it easy?
They could have pissed off two legends and called it a Merzkx.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-26-22, 01:27 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 471 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with this. It all depends, of course, on the prospective buyer's needs.
A few observations: I'd put on a Kinesis aluminum (curved) fork to drop a couple pounds. This weight reduction would make the bike faster and more nimble, and the 11-44T gearing gives 106 gear inches, so speed shouldn't be a problem. If you want to upgrade the components, you could do that at your leisure. State offers a five-year warranty, but I'd still keep an eye on those welds for the first 1,000 miles. This will probably be a successful foray for State.
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 11-26-22, 02:41 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Nice start but I'll wait for a more gravel-ready variation with clearance for 700x32 tires and a proper curvy sexy fork, something between my '89 Ironman and '93 Univega Via Carisma.

The State bike's single chainring doesn't bother me, although it really needs a 10 or 11 cog cassette for wider appeal, if they're gonna make it impossible or difficult to mount a front derailleur. But for my flattish area with rollers, single chainring and 8-speed is fine. But I'd prefer 12-32. 11 tooth cogs feel weird to me -- I forget the proper term, but the tight turn makes the chain feel grindy. I've switched all my existing 8 and 10 speed cassettes to smoother running 12T small cogs wherever possible, which usually means Sunrace cassettes -- which are pretty danged good values if you get the chromed versions. And my aging legs want 28T at a minimum now, preferably 32T or even 34T.

The downtube shifter is no-go for gravel. I've used my Ironman with original 2x7-speed downtube shifters on our local light-gravel (crushed limestone, pea gravel, chat trail, not serious railroad ballast type gravel like we see in some farm and ranch areas). It's oh-kay, but I'd prefer brifters or bar-ends. I already have a set of 8-speed Ultegra and 10-speed Dura Ace bar-ends. There are times when our groomed gravel-lite trails are booby trapped by the maintenance crews by filling ruts and potholes with loose sand a pea gravel. It's practically invisible in some lighting and a disaster waiting to happen if you happen to be reaching down to shift when the front wheel plows in the sandtraps.

Maybe what I really want is just the frame and fork, with clearance for 700x32. But that frame really needs braze-ons for a front derailleur. Not everyone will be happy with a single chainring.

My Univega fork is just a mite too springy, but very comfy. Only reason it's not already my main drop bar gravel bike is the frame is a bit heavy, and at 60cm, just a mite too big for my 5'11" frame. The stretched out position didn't bother me until my cervical neck stenosis got bad, but not it's comfy only as an upright hybrid with Nitto albatross swept bars to reduce the reach.

My Ironman would make a fine light-duty gravel-ish bike, but really needs clearance for wider tires.

Anyway, this is the first State bike that's grabbed my attention, even if it is only vaguely C&V.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.