Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

[Dangerous Driving] Speeding Cyclist cross RED light hurt Pedestrian & RUN! / My wife

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

[Dangerous Driving] Speeding Cyclist cross RED light hurt Pedestrian & RUN! / My wife

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-22, 07:07 AM
addendum8716

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
#Update 07OCT : Couldn’t have any hints on this cyclist, seems rare chance justice could show. If you might know any popular forum or common channel in bike society please let me know. Thank you.
Old 10-07-22, 08:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by addendum8716
#Update 07OCT : Couldn’t have any hints on this cyclist, seems rare chance justice could show. If you might know any popular forum or common channel in bike society please let me know. Thank you.
Have you followed any of the above-suggestions, such as getting this story into the media? Much more likely to be effective that posting in these sorts of places.
Old 10-07-22, 09:10 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by addendum8716
As I suggested earlier, contact the media. I bet he gets identified quickly.

Other suggestions:

-Post flyers with his image in the area with you contact info. Maybe someone who knows him will see it and reach out.
-Go to local bike shops and / or coffee with photo of him and bike in hand.

Most cyclists are creatures of habit and take the same routes often. Chances are this turd frequents that rout. Maybe he lives close by, stops frequently at a coffee shop or bike shop in the area.

Your best chances of getting him identified will be through the media..
Old 10-07-22, 12:39 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
The Toronto Road Bike Community FB page may also be able to help you: https://www.facebook.com/groups/672196449558168/
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 10-07-22, 02:11 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Sorry, but not surprised, to hear that you've struck out so far.

As I posted earlier, membership in this forum is spread very thin across the globe, so it's not likely many (any?) people in the Toronto area saw it. You need to focus locally, ie. local news, including any cable channels, a local community forum, or personally doing the rounds of bike shops with your photos. Also print and laminate those photos, along with the basics and post them in the area and along the cyclists presumed route (guess, and cover some bases) where someone might see them and make a connection. At the same time, take those fliers around to bike shops. In our world, many people will recognize the bike more easily than they might the rider.

Lastly, and maybe this should have been first, contact a local attorney that specializes in accident cases. They know where and how to get evidence, and track people down, plus you'll need one to sue and get some justice.

Cases like yours are more about perseverance, than anything, so prepare for a long siege.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-07-22, 07:29 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I am going to add a little aside to this thread. Toronto is a dangerous place to be a pedestrian( or a cyclist as well). My brother lives there along with his children. He enjoys cycling as do I. However since he moved there from Ottawa a few years ago he is quite fearful of riding on most city streets. Toronto drivers are awful. A couple of years ago my niece(my brothers daughter) was crossing a four lane street at a pedestrian crosswalk in Toronto. The car in the right hand lane had stopped but a complete idiot driving in the left lane just kept on going and ran into her and could easily have killed her. If you are a pedestrian in Toronto you take your life into your hands every time you step off the curb. Cars are a much bigger danger than cyclists, so the OP should be happy that his wife was hit by a cyclist rather than by a 2000 KG SUV
Old 10-07-22, 09:38 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
The only thing not stated in the remarks above is very important to know and follow religiously:

1. Look BOTH WAYS before crossing any street or roadway, even a one-way street. Walking, driving, cycling, skateboarding, whatever.
2. If you can't see, you CAN'T GO.
3. If you're NOT SURE, you can't go.
4. The pretty lights do not protect you. They only establish right-of-way for ambulance chasing attorneys.

Unless the cyclist fell from an airplane, he was RIGHT THERE and visible to anyone paying attention. Sure it was his fault, but your wife is hurt for nothing. It is a dangerous world for those who don't pay strict attention crossing streets. And there are literally MILLIONS of !d!0ts out there doing the wrong things to endanger us. Be aware and awake around traffic or suffer consequences. If he didn't fall from an airplane, the knucklehead cyclist ran a red light without looking, and your wife stepped in front of him without looking.

I do hope they catch the dope. Be careful out there.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-07-22 at 10:49 PM.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 10-07-22, 09:44 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Even once in the cross walk you still need to keep your head on a swivel.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 10-08-22, 07:16 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I wonder if that cyclist is a member of bike forums. I have posted pictures of my helmet on bike forums so you all know he's not me.
Old 10-08-22, 11:02 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Daniel4
I wonder if that cyclist is a member of bike forums. I have posted pictures of my helmet on bike forums so you all know he's not me.
I wear a helmet and gloves but otherwise dress like a "normal" person. So it is definitely not me. I am no stranger to pedestrians oblivious to their surroundings or scofflaw cyclists. Somehow I manage to NOT run over them or get run over by them. It's called FOCUS in a dangerous environment.

People often get hit by trains the size of two story houses, confined to obvious TRACKS, often with warnings posted RIGHT THERE, so obviously there is no limit to the mindlessness of pedestrians, cyclists, or motorists.

There is no limit to MY mindlessness lounging in my LaFuma chair in my back yard. Otherwise, head on a swivel like the man posting above me stated.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-08-22 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-08-22, 02:39 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

FWIW - I'm not sure it's appropriate to discuss side issues like basic street smarts or situational awareness here (Though I heartily endorse their importance) out of courtesy to the OP who may be following this thread and doesn't need to hear that now.

Meanwhile I hope the OP has at least learned that nothing is going to happen unless HE MAKES it happen. He's gotten plenty of good advice here, and it's up to him to follow up, rather than waiting for serendipity.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 10-08-22, 09:39 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
How many black 52 cm Surly Cross Checks are there in the Toronto area ridden by middle aged men? I might be wrong on the exact size, but if the cops asked QBP nicely for the names of individuals who have purchased one... How about asking at bike shops who have sold this frameset? It is a pretty unique bike, that model, that color, that size, it looks kind of new to me anyways, judging by the nice looking paint. This rider needs to be treated the same as a motor vehicle hit and run.
Likes For venturi95:
Old 10-09-22, 12:22 AM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
If he didn't fall from an airplane, IF the knucklehead cyclist ran a red light without looking, and your wife stepped in front of him without looking.
Any video of the event?
Old 10-09-22, 08:20 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by tungsten
Any video of the event?
None posted. But I'm pretty sure the cyclist didn't fall from the sky and he certainly isn't invisible.

I live in a city where two or three cars continue through any intersection after their light turns red. If I fixated on the traffic signals and floored it the instant my light turned green, I would "cause" a wreck every single day. How do I avoid this? When the light turns green I look both ways and wait for traffic to STOP. Then I proceed. When I walk in places with crosswalk signals and my signal says "WALK", guess what I do! Look both ways, make sure everyone stops, then proceed. When I run red lights on my bicycle I do same. If the situation isn't PERFECT, I stop at the light. If for some reason I CAN'T SEE, like when a public bus or something is blocking my view, I sure don't sprint out into a travel lane without peeking around the bus.

I don't need a video to know what happened here. Two people not looking where they're going collided. Totally predictable and avoidable. Millions of pedestrians cross streets successfully every day, and thousands of cyclists run red lights successfully every. single. day. without hitting anyone.
Old 10-09-22, 09:09 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
None posted. But I'm pretty sure the cyclist didn't fall from the sky and he certainly isn't invisible.

I live in a city where two or three cars continue through any intersection after their light turns red. If I fixated on the traffic signals and floored it the instant my light turned green, I would "cause" a wreck every single day. How do I avoid this? When the light turns green I look both ways and wait for traffic to STOP. Then I proceed. When I walk in places with crosswalk signals and my signal says "WALK", guess what I do! Look both ways, make sure everyone stops, then proceed. When I run red lights on my bicycle I do same. If the situation isn't PERFECT, I stop at the light. If for some reason I CAN'T SEE, like when a public bus or something is blocking my view, I sure don't sprint out into a travel lane without peeking around the bus.

I don't need a video to know what happened here. Two people not looking where they're going collided. Totally predictable and avoidable. Millions of pedestrians cross streets successfully every day, and thousands of cyclists run red lights successfully every. single. day. without hitting anyone.
As FBinNY mentions..you're off topic and not helping the OP in the least. Everyone is a genius in hindsight. The OP is seeking help in obtaining some justice for an incident in which his wife had the right of way.

No doubt you'll continue to parade your advanced intelligence..and continue to be out of line.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 10-09-22, 09:40 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by fishboat
As FBinNY mentions..you're off topic and not helping the OP in the least. Everyone is a genius in hindsight. The OP is seeking help in obtaining some justice for an incident in which his wife had the right of way.

No doubt you'll continue to parade your advanced intelligence..and continue to be out of line.
The OP is not a cyclist. He's here to GRIPE about one cyclist to ALL cyclists. He is never coming back after the newness wears off.

I have no way of helping him THIS time. I'm working on NEXT TIME here. Hopefully there won't be a next time. And this thread should have been closed days ago. Any further "help" for the OP should be handled through PM for legal reasons. Don't take a genius to figure any of this out.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 10-09-22 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-09-22, 02:53 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Looks like a whistle attached to his helmet strap. Shoulda put it to good use at the time.
Old 10-09-22, 03:41 PM
TugaDude

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
What a shame the bystanders didn't intervene. There's a handful of construction workers on the opposite corner gawking. Hope the rider is identified.
Old 10-09-22, 03:51 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
The OP is not a cyclist. He's here to GRIPE about one cyclist to ALL cyclists. He is never coming back after the newness wears off.

I have no way of helping him THIS time. I'm working on NEXT TIME here. Hopefully there won't be a next time. And this thread should have been closed days ago. Any further "help" for the OP should be handled through PM for legal reasons. Don't take a genius to figure any of this out.
And he found the Bikeforum site, created and account and told his tale here? If true, I feel sorry for him but what the heck is he expecting. Go to the authorities, hire a lawyer. Do something meaningful. Posting this make me think BS.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 10-09-22, 05:56 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
And he found the Bikeforum site, created and account and told his tale here? If true, I feel sorry for him but what the heck is he expecting. Go to the authorities, hire a lawyer. Do something meaningful. Posting this make me think BS.
Maybe he was expecting a bunch of like-minded cyclists to defend the offender and blaming the victim so he can go back to the general public proving how all cyclists don't obey traffic laws.
Old 10-09-22, 06:01 PM
raqball

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts

Originally Posted by vespasianus
More bike forums nonsense.. The OP shared his story, with photos, and asked for help.. His wife did nothing wrong then he comes here to post his story and seek advice only to get his motives attacked by a few more angry / obtuse cyclist..

Please......................
Likes For raqball:
Old 10-09-22, 06:55 PM
FBinNY 

Let's cut the OP some slack. He's suffering through something totally foreign to him, and struggling to find some connections.

I understand why he's here. It's like meeting someone and mentioning that you're Jewish and from Brooklyn, and their responding, "Oh, you must know my cousin Moshe".

People tend to assume we're part of a community, and therefore must know each other.

The reality is that, even if we narrow the focus to only the Toronto area, the odds of making a connection are pretty lousy.

Old 10-10-22, 04:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by venturi95
How many black 52 cm Surly Cross Checks are there in the Toronto area ridden by middle aged men? I might be wrong on the exact size, but if the cops asked QBP nicely for the names of individuals who have purchased one... How about asking at bike shops who have sold this frameset? It is a pretty unique bike, that model, that color, that size, it looks kind of new to me anyways, judging by the nice looking paint. This rider needs to be treated the same as a motor vehicle hit and run.
Don’t think QBP sells direct to consumers. Even if it does, I doubt it would disclose that information without a subpoena. And the frame is available in black from other sources.
Old 10-10-22, 06:21 PM
addendum8716

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thank you everyone trying to help here and share out. I know the chance is few but I believe justice will come one day.
Old 10-10-22, 06:41 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
More bike forums nonsense.. The OP shared his story, with photos, and asked for help.. His wife did nothing wrong then he comes here to post his story and seek advice only to get his motives attacked by a few more angry / obtuse cyclist..

Please......................
Agreed. Bring back Larry. At least we can laugh with him (and maybe at him but with our love...).