Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Light Set for Bike with easy buttons

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-22, 05:11 PM
Senathon

Bikes: Posiden X for Practice, Need one for road and light gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

I am near sighted and I have large fingers. So I am looking for a Light set (buying both Head and Rear lights together) that either I can have a button on the handlebars or maybe to press easy on the device. I bought a set a while ago at walmart, but it has a switch(blended in) I could not find in the dark without getting a large flashlight. Even then I had to use a small straight blade screwdriver or back of a knife blade to turn them on and off.

This is for riding during the day and sometimes at dawn and dusk. My local town does require both lights mounted to be registered incase they are stolen.

Last edited by Senathon; 11-13-22 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-13-22, 05:41 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts

Planet Bike BlazeŽ 800 SLX Bike Headlight

NiteRider Lumina 1200 Boost USB Rechargeable

Old 11-13-22, 05:49 PM
Senathon

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Do they come in a set with rear lights also?
Old 11-13-22, 05:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Are you just wanting the most inexpensive light you can get with buttons that suit your needs.

If you want to be in the more modern world, then consider that for quite a while now lights can be controlled by the GPS/cyclometer device you might have or be getting for your bike. Assuming you won't want a GPS device with tiny buttons either, then you'll probably find a touch screen pretty simple for your admittedly big fingers.

Just depends on how much you want to embrace more modern tech. Nothing wrong with buttons on lights. I still don't have lights I can control with my GPS since when I bought them long ago few if any could be controlled remotely with a GPS.
Old 11-13-22, 06:12 PM
Senathon

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
My first preference it to be able to turn off the lights via handle bar, but if that is too expensive(over $60), then I can deal with a light set if the button are easy to find in the dark.

Like for example: https://www.amazon.com/Ascher-Rechar...zcF9hdGY&psc=1

It looks like the power-buttons are too small or my fingers.

Last edited by Senathon; 11-13-22 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-14-22, 08:06 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Senathon
Do they come in a set with rear lights also?
not those I linked to. hmmm, big easy buttons for a rear light? ...
Old 11-14-22, 08:08 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Senathon
My first preference it to be able to turn off the lights via handle bar, but if that is too expensive(over $60), then I can deal with a light set if the button are easy to find in the dark.
Like for example: https://www.amazon.com/Ascher-Rechar...zcF9hdGY&psc=1
It looks like the power-buttons are too small or my fingers.
I have some small lites like that, you just push on the whole front face. the whole front lens is a button. but they use small batteries that are probably hard to change & aren't very bright
Old 11-14-22, 01:36 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Skip the handlebar switch, not really needed and the wiring may fail.

Most good taillights you see in a store will have a good button that once you know where it is, you can easily press the button without thinking about it. My local REI store has a number of the taillights that they sell out on display, you can look at the lights and see how big the buttons are.

Example, the Planet Bike Superflash 65 has a big black button on the back side of it that is hard to miss once you know where it is. I have one and I can easily tell where the button is by feel.
https://www.planetbike.com/superflas...ke-tail-light/

I do not have a headlight suggestion, my headlights are dyno powered which are not applicable for your needs. But I am sure that there are good lights that have good buttons on them.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 11-14-22, 02:03 PM
Senathon

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Skip the handlebar switch, not really needed and the wiring may fail.

Most good taillights you see in a store will have a good button that once you know where it is, you can easily press the button without thinking about it. My local REI store has a number of the taillights that they sell out on display, you can look at the lights and see how big the buttons are.

Example, the Planet Bike Superflash 65 has a big black button on the back side of it that is hard to miss once you know where it is. I have one and I can easily tell where the button is by feel.
https://www.planetbike.com/superflas...ke-tail-light/
Thanks, this is what I am looking for! I don't usually wear my glasses(farsighted) unless I am reading. So this saves a lot of time for me instead of unpacking my glasses just to find a button.
Old 11-16-22, 04:16 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
A few years ago a friend bought a complete headlight/taillight setup with handlebar mounted controller. I think it was Blackburn, maybe Bontrager. Check their online catalogs.

It seemed to work well when he demo'd it during a group ride. I haven't seen him on that bike for awhile, dunno if he's still using it or how well the rig help up.

Light & Motion and maybe one or two others offer taillights that work more or less automagically: they're motion activated with delays so the lights stay on long enough for typical traffic stops (lights, railroad crossings, etc), but turn off by themselves after awhile if forgotten, such as cafe/pub stops. That's useful for taillights, which are easily forgotten, especially in daytime use. L&M offers those in kits, head and tail lights. Decent lights, but I prefer the NiteRider Lumina Dual 1800 of the various US market lights typically available at stores or online. Dual LEDs with shaped beam (focused lens, hood with cutoff design) are much better for nighttime rides, especially on dark rural roads where I often ride. Outbound also makes very good, if pricey, headlights for serious nighttime trail and road use.

My pet peeve is headlights with multi-function switches. I'd prefer a slider for brightness, and programmable button for quick changes from dim to bright, etc. The NiteRider Lumina Dual 1800 offers those features, but it's all stuffed into a single multi-function button. It's one of the better buttons -- pressure is reasonable, not too light or heavy; and easily visible, top mounted with blue glow for ON, red when it's close to needing to be recharged. But that light has plenty of space on top for a couple of dedicated controllers. Probably cost more, but I'd consider paying it.