Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

This may be silly, but....Baby Food for mid ride snacks?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

This may be silly, but....Baby Food for mid ride snacks?

Old 10-21-20, 12:48 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by jjames1452
(or I may be late to the party - maybe this is something that everyone knows)

I have terrible bouts with cramps.
Before a long ride, I make sure I am well hydrated.
I cannot eat bananas for potassium mid rice, as I am allergic to bananas.

I am going to start taking baby food sweet potatoes with me on over 30 mile trips.
Sweet potatoes have a bunch of potassium. The plastic aseptic package for the baby food should keep them good in my rear pack.
I usually carry dates, dried apricots and nuts to eat, coated with no-salt. Some rides that is enough. Some rides, my calves cramp.
I think a good supply of water, including hydrating the day before, the dried fruit and nuts, and BABY FOOD will keep me cramp free.

I do carry the electrolyte/salt tabs, and Gatorade powder for extreme emergencies....however, if I am far enough into cramps to take a salt tab, or all the salt in Gatorade, I am usually in trouble for the rest of the ride.

Silly, or Sound?
Interesting what you call a long ride 30 miles? What is a long ride for you? If you are reasonably trained and it is not hot 30 miles requires nothing. No fluid or food at least for those trained. Well trained cyclist can easily ride 50 miles with no food or even liquid. I wonder about your dietary habits the day before you ride. I generally ride or run daily so I have a tolerance and it requires I still eat good after to replace. Personally I would just not do the baby food thing at all. It sort of defeats one of my purposes for riding in that I like to eat and eat good food. Eating baby food to ride just seems to not sound real appealing to me. I went out this morning and it was chilly at 46 degrees and I road 52 miles on no food or liquid at all. Was not thirsty when I came in and in fact not really hungry.
Old 10-21-20, 03:21 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Starts with baby food.

Ends with a diaper.

It’s the circle of life.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 10-21-20, 11:28 PM
jjames1452 

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
Wow

Originally Posted by deacon mark
Interesting what you call a long ride 30 miles? What is a long ride for you? If you are reasonably trained and it is not hot 30 miles requires nothing. No fluid or food at least for those trained. Well trained cyclist can easily ride 50 miles with no food or even liquid. I wonder about your dietary habits the day before you ride. I generally ride or run daily so I have a tolerance and it requires I still eat good after to replace. Personally I would just not do the baby food thing at all. It sort of defeats one of my purposes for riding in that I like to eat and eat good food. Eating baby food to ride just seems to not sound real appealing to me. I went out this morning and it was chilly at 46 degrees and I road 52 miles on no food or liquid at all. Was not thirsty when I came in and in fact not really hungry.
I appreciate the no advice on cramps and letting me know I'm not a trained cyclist. Any advice on chronic glute pain. I figured it best to go to the source.
Old 10-22-20, 08:54 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,027 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Interesting what you call a long ride 30 miles? What is a long ride for you? If you are reasonably trained and it is not hot 30 miles requires nothing. No fluid or food at least for those trained. Well trained cyclist can easily ride 50 miles with no food or even liquid.
I would normally let a zombie thread like this die off, but I can't resist replying to this.

Suggesting a reasonably trained rider doesn't need water in 50 or even 30 miles is...I'm looking for a nice word here...let's just go with incorrect. 30-50 miles with no food, absolutely not an issue for most riders. But not hydrating? Even at 25 MPH, that's exercising for two hours without taking a drink. No thanks. Doesn't sound smart at all, no matter the temperature.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 10-22-20, 11:17 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I would normally let a zombie thread like this die off, but I can't resist replying to this.

Suggesting a reasonably trained rider doesn't need water in 50 or even 30 miles is...I'm looking for a nice word here...let's just go with incorrect. 30-50 miles with no food, absolutely not an issue for most riders. But not hydrating? Even at 25 MPH, that's exercising for two hours without taking a drink. No thanks. Doesn't sound smart at all, no matter the temperature.

You should check out what exercise physiologist say about hydration. The body does know when it needs liquid and a trained athlete can push many things that while optimal, may not need to be done. As a life long runner and marathoner numerous runners have completed a marathon and not drank or drank very little. Running a 3 hour marathon is way more intense than any 3 hour bike ride of any kind. In training and how a person trains they easily have no need for liquids at all in 2 hours whatever the distance. Not to suggest this is the best practice but certainly done all the time and not dangerous. Taking liquids because of sweating and depletion also requires the need to replace electrolytes. Just drinking plain water can actually be dangerous if you keep drinking without replacing sodium and potassium. It is well documented in medical literature. I am also willing to stand by the " nice word" it is correct to do this if you are use to this and many cyclist and runners are very much.

The one thing that does make a difference is that in the very hot and dry climate yes no question you have to take water and replace sometimes at amazing rates. It is stupid and dangerous to ride in the heat and not take liquids. Riding in the cold at 30 degrees I don't sweat and I don't want to sweat and lose very little liquids. Zombie thread but still fun to discuss we just differ very much.
Old 10-22-20, 12:02 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat

I ride with a very strong rider who, in PNW winter temperatures of 45-60,, will ride 60 or so miles on half a bottle of water and suffer no ill effects - still strong to the end. He's been doing this for a long time. Riders, and I assume runners also, get faster when slightly dehydrated, up to about 2%. I always drink to thirst. That's why we have thirst - to tell us when we need water. It's "that word," to pound water when not thirsty. When I was a teen it was common knowledge and coach's advice to never drink during a game. Gives you stomach cramps, don't you know? Then, as usual, culture flipped the other way and it was 8 glasses a day and everyone carrying water bottles wherever they went, and "drink before you're thirsty" was normative advice for all athletes, and that was also "that word."

One would hope that now we can pay more attention to science than to all the nonsense so prevalent in our culture. But as we have written on our shop wall, "Hope is the fatal flaw."
Old 10-22-20, 01:40 PM
jjames1452 

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I'm right there will you fella........and have tried lots and lots of remedies. Have you looked for products with Quinine by chance? There is an over the counter med call Leg Cramps you might give a try. It does wonders for me in the middle of the night when I wake up with cramps in muscles I never knew I had.

Do you take a diuretic for blood pressure or kidney stones by chance??? Are you eating any foods that might be natural diuretics???
Tonic water has quinine in it. I tried those little bottles of Canada Dry before a ride for a while.

No diuretics. I do have kidney stones.

I believe I will be cooking potato and sweet potato chips this Fall.

Last edited by jjames1452; 10-22-20 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-22-20, 03:07 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by jjames1452
Tonic water has quinine in it. I tried those little bottles of Canada Dry before a ride for a while.

No diuretics. I do have kidney stones.

I believe I will be cooking potato and sweet potato chips this Fall.
I tried tonic water and it just sit on my stomach well.......especially without gin!