Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

UCI Safety Commission

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-21, 02:27 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
UCI Safety Commission

One of the new changes that came out of the meetings with the major stake holders in professional cycling, in addition to the ban on the Supertuck, is the formation of a commission to look at various aspects of safety in racing. One of the topics that the commission plans to visit is disc brake safety. What in the world can they look at that hasn’t already been discussed? I would think that the topic is a bit of a dead horse.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lap...ty-at-the-uci/
Old 02-25-21, 03:42 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
moved to Professional Cycling for the Fans
Old 02-25-21, 04:37 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
One of the new changes that came out of the meetings with the major stake holders in professional cycling, in addition to the ban on the Supertuck, is the formation of a commission to look at various aspects of safety in racing. One of the topics that the commission plans to visit is disc brake safety. What in the world can they look at that hasn’t already been discussed? I would think that the topic is a bit of a dead horse.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lap...ty-at-the-uci/
I wonder, who receives the red card for the litter the fans spew, paint all over the roads, flares, fireworks. Many, so drunk to the gills they interfere with the race and racers on every climb. Already this year, someone hanging over a barriers, has caused a crash. Road furniture, motos and the cars, Ohhh that's to hard. Instead they point their finger at the racers for their bottles. Amazing!
Old 02-26-21, 09:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyro
I wonder, who receives the red card for the litter the fans spew, paint all over the roads, flares, fireworks. Many, so drunk to the gills they interfere with the race and racers on every climb. Already this year, someone hanging over a barriers, has caused a crash. Road furniture, motos and the cars, Ohhh that's to hard. Instead they point their finger at the racers for their bottles. Amazing!
So we need to rank things and handle them in some priority order? That might imply that UCI has full and exclusive jurisdiction for enforcing what crowds do.
Old 02-26-21, 08:05 PM
Gyro

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
So we need to rank things and handle them in some priority order? That might imply that UCI has full and exclusive jurisdiction for enforcing what crowds do.
I'm to believe the UCI has no say in how the routes are made up, how many cars and motorcycles are to be included. What hazards will be include in each course, road furniture, tricky roundabouts speed bumps. Whether there will be a downhill sprint to the finish or close proximity turns leading to the finish? These are where I've seen the major of the crashes the riders have had and are still have them.

All the hoopla over the water bottles is down right amazing . Yet not one word conceding how much pollution and waste had to be created for that little water bottle to find itself in a bush in the first place, not a peep about that.

Why is urinating on the same bush allowed, a water bottle isn't. Water Closets should be set up at intervals along each route, to capture this waste. God only know what compounds they may hold, that don't need to be added to the ecosystem. I seem to remember people using food they ate as an excuse for falling drugs tests.

Out on a ride today, I realized I'd possibly be given the boot where I had my hands on the bars. I tend to ride with the flat of my hands against the handlebar on either side of the stem. Evil, yes a know.
Old 02-27-21, 09:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyro
I'm to believe the UCI has no say in how the routes are made up, how many cars and motorcycles are to be included. What hazards will be include in each course, road furniture, tricky roundabouts speed bumps. Whether there will be a downhill sprint to the finish or close proximity turns leading to the finish? These are where I've seen the major of the crashes the riders have had and are still have them.

All the hoopla over the water bottles is down right amazing . Yet not one word conceding how much pollution and waste had to be created for that little water bottle to find itself in a bush in the first place, not a peep about that.

Why is urinating on the same bush allowed, a water bottle isn't. Water Closets should be set up at intervals along each route, to capture this waste. God only know what compounds they may hold, that don't need to be added to the ecosystem. I seem to remember people using food they ate as an excuse for falling drugs tests.

Out on a ride today, I realized I'd possibly be given the boot where I had my hands on the bars. I tend to ride with the flat of my hands against the handlebar on either side of the stem. Evil, yes a know.
No, but I considered your opinion to be that UCI didn't discuss other things but the headline of the article. News headlines and even most of what's reported in their articles aren't anything but what the organization doing the reporting thinks will stir interest in the majority of their readers. Not a bad thing, I'm not really against that. After all, this is a Cycling magazine, we'll be more interested in things that might affect tactics than whether someone will have their nose rubbed in the trash they put on the side of the road.

Just because things aren't mentioned in the article doesn't mean they weren't discussed. Or aren't a concern that continues to be discussed and brought up. But trash and urination are probably something UCI will make big rulings on. All UCI can do is police their own members. That's why there are penalties for riders throwing trash in places they shouldn't. Or how, when and what they throw their bottles. But UCI can't really do that for it's fans on the road. Make your fans too unhappy and they won't be fans and there won't be money to support the organization or pro cyclists.

Do I believe UCI is so great and all knowing? No, they have some serious issues. But it's what we have right now. They do many good things and some not so good.
Old 03-01-21, 11:12 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I thought, and I may be mistaken, that the discarding of water bottles inside certain drop zones last season was to keep the spread of COVID from riders to the spectators. I believe I heard either Chris Horner or Christian VdV mention it before the first stage of the tour.
Old 03-02-21, 03:54 PM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
The new bottles have been deveoloped to degrade after 6-9mths, the UCISC are dammed if the do, dammed if they don't. Whatever they ban, will be slated and if they don't ban it then they will get slated. The puppy paws and super tuck have been banned before there was a bad accident, so IMHO hat's off to them. Pro's doing it (and I was using puppy paws in 1992) is ok, but a 4th cat trying and bringing the bunch down, then who is responsible? So the best option is to ban it before we get there or would you be happy being the rider behind who has just been taken down, broken your collar bone and a trashed bike?