Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official "Miele show-off" thread, or: calling all Torontonians!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official "Miele show-off" thread, or: calling all Torontonians!

Old 12-14-20, 09:50 AM
dolbydj 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm just looking for a grail bike for me. I remember studying a one page fold out brochure that had full group listings, weights, etc. I had a 1987 Uno which was $325 CAD and a 1988 Alfa was $500. It was rare to find a Miele over $1000 in a store back then. I vaguely remember diamond fade patterns on the highest end ones. Any images of the top of the range bikes?
Old 01-08-21, 08:03 PM
dayles

Bikes: Miele Latina, Fiori Modena, Cannondale 2.8, Bauer Momentum. Avanti: couple of beater bikes.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My Miele

My Christmas gift to myself. Went to Canada to get this one pre Covid! Anyone interested in making a Miele / vintage Canadian bike facebook page?
Old 01-08-21, 09:32 PM
9volt 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I have a dusty Miele Ajax MTB with some funky graphics.

Likes For 9volt:
Old 01-26-21, 08:30 PM
Markoshawn

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My 88 Elite

Lovely pearl green with Suntour Sprint 9000 14 speed Accushift. Just barely squeezed Conti 28c tires on it. Rides really smooth but geared kind of high for hilly N Atlanta.
Likes For Markoshawn:
Old 03-05-21, 10:20 PM
roadwarrior16

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hey everyone, some awesome bikes in this thread!

Here are my two that I have been working on.
First is my blue Magny - from forum research (thanks in advance Tmar), since it's double butted Magny, its no newer than 1986. Took the time this past year to give it a really good clean to get it to the condition its in today. Also has ambrosio elite wheels...an absolute pain to change tires....found that out the hard way :S Would appreciate any further information anyone has on this bike as I continue to search for more info about it.

Second is my red Azsora - again from forum research (*cough* Tmar) it is likely an 88/89 2nd from the bottom entry level bike at the time. There is no sticker under the seat so not sure what type of frame it is. Anyone know how I can tell? I understand it came in a variety. Ambrosio Durex on this one. This one is due for a solid clean this spring. Again would appreciate any information anyone has.

Old 03-06-21, 04:21 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Wow great bikes roadwarrior16 especially that blue one. When I see a Miele in this condition it really makes we want one, despite that I don't need any more bikes ha ha.

Might want to see if Miele Man might be able to help you out. Also has great knowledge of the history of these bikes.
Old 03-06-21, 09:56 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior16
Hey everyone, some awesome bikes in this thread!

Here are my two that I have been working on.
First is my blue Magny - from forum research (thanks in advance Tmar), since it's double butted Magny, its no newer than 1986. Took the time this past year to give it a really good clean to get it to the condition its in today. Also has ambrosio elite wheels...an absolute pain to change tires....found that out the hard way :S Would appreciate any further information anyone has on this bike as I continue to search for more info about it.

Second is my red Azsora - again from forum research (*cough* Tmar) it is likely an 88/89 2nd from the bottom entry level bike at the time. There is no sticker under the seat so not sure what type of frame it is. Anyone know how I can tell? I understand it came in a variety. Ambrosio Durex on this one. This one is due for a solid clean this spring. Again would appreciate any information anyone has.
Agreed, the blue bicycle should not be newer than a 1986 model, based on the decal style. The combination of Magny tubing, SunTour ARx derailleurs, SR SX crankset and Shimano Z-series brakes are all correct for a circa 1986 Condor model. This one is likely Japanese manufacture and, if so, the serial number should tell us the exact manufacture date.

The first year for the Azsora was 1988 and while I don't have any 1989 literature, it's not mentioned in the 1990 price list, so it should be 1988-1989. The 1988 version is listed as being Ishiwata 022, though that's probably restricted to the main triangle, given the bicycle's overall level, which was 2nd from the bottom of the line, just above the Uno. If it is 022, I'd expect a 27.2mm seat post.
Old 03-06-21, 10:15 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by 9volt
I have a dusty Miele Ajax MTB with some funky graphics.
Based on what appear to be Shimano 500LX components, it should be 1990-1992. I do have a 1990 price list showing the Ajax as 2nd in a line of 5 ATB models, with an MSRP of $545 US. Tubeset is listed as Tange Infinity. Serial number?
Old 03-07-21, 10:50 AM
roadwarrior16

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Agreed, the blue bicycle should not be newer than a 1986 model, based on the decal style. The combination of Magny tubing, SunTour ARx derailleurs, SR SX crankset and Shimano Z-series brakes are all correct for a circa 1986 Condor model. This one is likely Japanese manufacture and, if so, the serial number should tell us the exact manufacture date.

The first year for the Azsora was 1988 and while I don't have any 1989 literature, it's not mentioned in the 1990 price list, so it should be 1988-1989. The 1988 version is listed as being Ishiwata 022, though that's probably restricted to the main triangle, given the bicycle's overall level, which was 2nd from the bottom of the line, just above the Uno. If it is 022, I'd expect a 27.2mm seat post.
Thanks TMar - Serial number for blue Magny pictured below.

Unfortunately I don't have calipers to measure the seat post for the Azsora - if I can get my hands on one I'll report back

Old 03-07-21, 11:41 AM
T-Mar

Thanks TMar - Serial number for blue Magny pictured below.

Unfortunately I don't have calipers to measure the seat post for the Azsora - if I can get my hands on one I'll report back
Thxs, that just what I was expecting. It's November 1985 manufacture from Guvin's Japanese source, so it would be a 1986 Miele Condor.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-07-21, 12:59 PM
roadwarrior16

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thxs, that just what I was expecting. It's November 1985 manufacture from Guvin's Japanese source, so it would be a 1986 Miele Condor.
Thanks again TMar. It has a name! Officially changed from Blue Magny to Blue Condor!

From some other research on Magny, I understand this was a heavier material vs. crmo tubing. Though heavier, it is therefore a bit stronger. Considering that, I'm assuming this would likely be more entry level since it did not use the lighter material....but the technique of double butted throughout makes me think not bottom of the list. Any thoughts?
Old 03-07-21, 07:18 PM
dolbydj 

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My cousin had one of those blue Miele's. About $425 in 1986 from Cyclepath on Danforth. A lower level bike that was on sale before all bikes came in with indexed shifting / SLR / or Biopace. Pretty solid non the less. Yours is in great shape. He still has a Gara 88 that hasn't been ridden 1000 kms yet.
Old 03-07-21, 10:26 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
To roadwarrior16.

Pedlar Bicycles is where I bought my Miele Equipe Pro Columbus SL & 1985/1986 Dura Ace groupset, my Miele Beta (recent bought back by me), Miele Primo and my Miele Turista.

All were great bikes.

I loved dealing with Ped;lar Bicycles. I don't think they are around any more. They used to be on the north east corner of Avenue Road and Dupont Streets. They had moved there from their other two locations, one on Avenue Road (Sales) and one (repairs) on Dupont Street.

Cheers
Old 03-08-21, 03:23 AM
dayles

Bikes: Miele Latina, Fiori Modena, Cannondale 2.8, Bauer Momentum. Avanti: couple of beater bikes.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My bike

Originally Posted by Markoshawn

Lovely pearl green with Suntour Sprint 9000 14 speed Accushift. Just barely squeezed Conti 28c tires on it. Rides really smooth but geared kind of high for hilly N Atlanta.
I rode this model... and still pine for it. My dad chucked it out while I was overseas. If you ever want to part with it, I am your man!
Old 03-08-21, 08:59 AM
T-Mar

Thanks again TMar. It has a name! Officially changed from Blue Magny to Blue Condor!

From some other research on Magny, I understand this was a heavier material vs. crmo tubing. Though heavier, it is therefore a bit stronger. Considering that, I'm assuming this would likely be more entry level since it did not use the lighter material....but the technique of double butted throughout makes me think not bottom of the list. Any thoughts?
Ishiwata's Magny was as series of tubests that used a carbon-manganese steel alloy which was positioned between hi-tensile and chromium-molybdenum (CrMo) steels in terms of tensile strength. Consequently, the material gauges used and the resulting weight, stiffness and resiliency typically fell between these two categories. In the early 1980s, butted carbon-manganese tubesets were responsible for increasing the value offered in the lower mid-range cataegory. Previously, this level had been dominated by bicycles with plain gauge CrMo or butted or lightweight hi-tensile tubesets. Carbon-manganese allowed for lighter, better ridng frames at this price point, that were closer to CrMo fames in characteristics than previous offerings.. The major factor was carbon-manganese's tolerance for a wider brazing termperature than CrMo, allowing for more automated construction, which was instrumental in reducing costs.

By the mid-1980s, a model with a carbon-manganese would typically have stood around the cross-over point between upper entry level and lower mid-range. I'd probaly place the Condor in the latter cataegory, based on the 700C wheelset, as there were a lot of similar models that were still spec'd 27" wheels. Original MSRP was $349.00 US. FYI, the proper name for the colour is Gios Blue, named after the Italian marque's signature/team colour.

Regarding the Azsora's seat post diameter, most posts typically have the diameter stamped on them. Generally, it is below the insertion mark, so you may have to remove and clean the post to find it.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-08-21, 02:14 PM
Bimmer69

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
Wow Tmar you are a fountain of knowledge. I had no idea frame materials and building were this complex.

a bit off topic but is there a list of Miele models, years and the components they used?
or at least a list of low end, mid range and high end models?
Old 03-08-21, 02:34 PM
T-Mar

I'm not aware of any list, though I could probaly construct something that was fairly comprehensive for the late 1980s to early 1990s, which would cover the majority of offerings from the original company, except for the early years. However, while model names are nice to know, you don't really need them. If you can put your effort into gaining knowledge about components and tubesets, you can identify the era and level of just about any bicycle, regardless of the brand.
Old 03-08-21, 06:33 PM
roadwarrior16

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ishiwata's Magny was as series of tubests that used a carbon-manganese steel alloy which was positioned between hi-tensile and chromium-molybdenum (CrMo) steels in terms of tensile strength. Consequently, the material gauges used and the resulting weight, stiffness and resiliency typically fell between these two categories. In the early 1980s, butted carbon-manganese tubesets were responsible for increasing the value offered in the lower mid-range cataegory. Previously, this level had been dominated by bicycles with plain gauge CrMo or butted or lightweight hi-tensile tubesets. Carbon-manganese allowed for lighter, better ridng frames at this price point, that were closer to CrMo fames in characteristics than previous offerings.. The major factor was carbon-manganese's tolerance for a wider brazing termperature than CrMo, allowing for more automated construction, which was instrumental in reducing costs.

By the mid-1980s, a model with a carbon-manganese would typically have stood around the cross-over point between upper entry level and lower mid-range. I'd probaly place the Condor in the latter cataegory, based on the 700C wheelset, as there were a lot of similar models that were still spec'd 27" wheels. Original MSRP was $349.00 US. FYI, the proper name for the colour is Gios Blue, named after the Italian marque's signature/team colour.

Regarding the Azsora's seat post diameter, most posts typically have the diameter stamped on them. Generally, it is below the insertion mark, so you may have to remove and clean the post to find it.
As you expected....27.2 for the Azsora (picture below... yes, I cleaned it after the picture lol). So that confirms 022? (main triangle anyways?)

And what a wealth of knowledge, thank you! As someone in operations I can really appreciate the business decisions made back in the day based on the materials/processes available.

Also, if you ever need help compiling/organizing the information you have I'd be happy to help. I'm pretty decent with spreadsheets and such, so if its some sort of table / matrix / *insert idea* you want, I may be able to help.

Old 03-08-21, 06:36 PM
roadwarrior16

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
To roadwarrior16.

Pedlar Bicycles is where I bought my Miele Equipe Pro Columbus SL & 1985/1986 Dura Ace groupset, my Miele Beta (recent bought back by me), Miele Primo and my Miele Turista.

All were great bikes.

I loved dealing with Ped;lar Bicycles. I don't think they are around any more. They used to be on the north east corner of Avenue Road and Dupont Streets. They had moved there from their other two locations, one on Avenue Road (Sales) and one (repairs) on Dupont Street.

Cheers
Thanks Miele Man.
It was very cool to see an original bike shop sticker on from when it was likely purchased.
I gave them a quick look up to, doesn't look like they are around (online presence anyway) haven't physically checked.
Old 03-08-21, 06:41 PM
roadwarrior16

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dolbydj
My cousin had one of those blue Miele's. About $425 in 1986 from Cyclepath on Danforth. A lower level bike that was on sale before all bikes came in with indexed shifting / SLR / or Biopace. Pretty solid non the less. Yours is in great shape. He still has a Gara 88 that hasn't been ridden 1000 kms yet.
Thanks for the info! and appreciate it, took some elbow grease to get it to where it is.

Yes, the one thing I can say about the bike is the lack of index shifting does make it a bit of a pain to ride.
The way I try to look at it is when I ride it, its like pedaling on a time machine...in a sense.........its a pain lol.

Also, would be awesome to see that Gara, probably still shining the same it was the day he picked it up!
Old 03-08-21, 07:53 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Thanks Miele Man.
It was very cool to see an original bike shop sticker on from when it was likely purchased.
I gave them a quick look up to, doesn't look like they are around (online presence anyway) haven't physically checked.
I looked both online and I also used Google maps street view to see if Pedlar was still in the area. No luck with either. That corner sure has changed since the mid-1980s.

Cheers
Old 03-08-21, 07:56 PM
Miele Man

As you expected....27.2 for the Azsora (picture below... yes, I cleaned it after the picture lol). So that confirms 022? (main triangle anyways?)

And what a wealth of knowledge, thank you! As someone in operations I can really appreciate the business decisions made back in the day based on the materials/processes available.

Also, if you ever need help compiling/organizing the information you have I'd be happy to help. I'm pretty decent with spreadsheets and such, so if its some sort of table / matrix / *insert idea* you want, I may be able to help.

I've used a degreaser on seatposts worse looking than that and then used various grits of wet/dry paper to get a very high polish to them. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well that might clean up.

Cheers
Old 03-09-21, 05:57 AM
markk900

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Yes, the one thing I can say about the bike is the lack of index shifting does make it a bit of a pain to ride.
The way I try to look at it is when I ride it, its like pedaling on a time machine...in a sense.........its a pain lol.
Practice! Sure indexed is convenient but once you get the hang of it being able to quickly and quietly shift gear to gear, and searching for the perfect trim, is very satisfying!
Old 03-09-21, 04:23 PM
dolbydj 

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the info! and appreciate it, took some elbow grease to get it to where it is.

Also, would be awesome to see that Gara, probably still shining the same it was the day he picked it up!
The Gara is really a nice bike! I had it at my house for a few years in the 90’s. It had Cromor and 1st year Shimano tri-color. Everything worked well with SLR brakes, SIS, etc. Geometry was very good too! It was about $700 in 1988 if I recall. Excellent value for the money!
Old 03-09-21, 08:29 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 2,230 Times in 1,303 Posts
My question is: so how do you pronounce Miele?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.