Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheelset upgrade under $600?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wheelset upgrade under $600?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-21, 08:02 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Anyone know what I need to buy to convert DTswiss r470 from SRAM to Shimano?
Old 07-23-21, 08:37 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233
You don’t convert rims, you convert hubs.
Old 07-23-21, 08:40 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233
Is there a difference between SRAM and Shimano free hubs?

Old 07-23-21, 08:44 PM
GBK233

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Is there a difference between SRAM and Shimano free hubs?
Youre asking the wrong guy. I am completely new to all of this. According to seller description….the hubs are specialized sealed bearing thru axle. Seller said someone had contacted her asking to trade the xd driver for his Shimano hub, but unfortunately she deleted his message…so no way to recover it,
I would assume I need to buy a Shimano free hub and end caps….but have no idea WHAT exactly I need.
Old 07-24-21, 06:43 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
An XDR freehub body (or driver) will not take a Shimano cassette, so a Shimano compatible freehub body is required.

Which Shimano compatible freehub is specific to the hub, so I’d recommend taking the wheel to your local Specialized dealer to have them check it out and order it.

Alternately, you could poke around the web and probably find the right one just by searching the wheel model.
Old 07-26-21, 08:29 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
OP, do your research on freehub noise. Some are silent, some are incredibly loud (and price has little to do with it). Some people prefer a very loud hub, some prefer silent. My wife's bike has a cheap set of wheel from Performance Bike that are pretty light and totally silent. I have a set of Vuelta Corsa Superlites that are very light and click just loud enough that I can use it as a warning when passing people. I ridden with people who had hubs that were so loud that you could hardly hear yourself think when they stopped pedaling. Just one of those things that you need to aware of before investing in new wheels.
Old 07-26-21, 08:36 AM
GBK233

Originally Posted by pgjackson
OP, do your research on freehub noise. Some are silent, some are incredibly loud (and price has little to do with it). Some people prefer a very loud hub, some prefer silent. My wife's bike has a cheap set of wheel from Performance Bike that are pretty light and totally silent. I have a set of Vuelta Corsa Superlites that are very light and click just loud enough that I can use it as a warning when passing people. I ridden with people who had hubs that were so loud that you could hardly hear yourself think when they stopped pedaling. Just one of those things that you need to aware of before investing in new wheels.
Already pulled the trigger on a new set of DT Swiss R470 takeoffs. Waiting for them to arrive to figure out what Shimano freehub I need to get. (Didn’t realize until it was too late that they have SRAM XDR driver).
As for loudness, I really couldn’t care less about the sound. I’m pedaling 99% of the time(I rarely coast other than 5 seconds breaks once every mile or so).
I’m assuming the R470s are pawls(vs ratchet)…so is it also safe to say that a small amount of grease would quiet them a touch….should the need arise?