Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Water Bottle Cage

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-17, 10:19 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I bought some $15 Tacx Deva cages a few weeks back:

So far they're great. Bottles held tight but still easy to get in and out.
Old 06-22-17, 06:59 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
I hate metal cages, especially cheap aluminum ones.

Elite cages are my favorite. They are cheap ($15), sturdy, and come in lots of colors. I like the Cannibal side loading version better than the Custom Race for ease of use while riding.
Old 06-22-17, 07:06 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Best one I've seen yet...

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gea...cage-12-46188/

Last edited by one4smoke; 06-24-17 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-22-17, 08:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
I would recommend heading down to your Local Bike Shop (LBS) they probably have a decent selection of cages to choose from and you will be buying local which generally is better than supporting billionare Jeff Bezos.

For cages I go with Bird Cages on pretty much every bike. Generally the bikes that don't have them yet are awaiting me getting one or in the case of my vintage road machine they have a more period correct Jim Blackburn cage I picked up to keep with theme of the bike. The Bird cages while a little more costly hold onto bottles exceedingly well and look really great doing so. I have never dropped a bottle or had one go loose even my fuel bottle on the down tube and if my bottle happens to be a touch wider than a standard cycling bottle I can bend the wings.
Old 06-23-17, 02:25 AM
sw20

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
this is what I use, cant fault it!

https://www.evanscycles.com/elite-cu...FQi-7QodCI4GIA
Old 06-23-17, 02:57 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would recommend heading down to your Local Bike Shop (LBS) they probably have a decent selection of cages to choose from and you will be buying local which generally is better than supporting billionare Jeff Bezos.
While I agree with supporting the LBS whenever possible and practical, Amazon is also a major local employer, both for warehouse employees and delivery drivers. Family, friends and acquaintances have worked for Amazon. They say it keeps them busy but pays well for this area and they've had worse jobs.

Yesterday the guy checking me out at the Dollartree said he used to work for Amazon's warehouse and misses the fatter paychecks. I asked him how the work environment compared with my old job on a heavy freight dock. He said it wasn't nearly as rough as a trucking freight dock and paid better.

Not defending the new job economy, making everyone a "contractor" with few or no benefits or job security. Just pointing out that Amazon is a local employer for some major metro areas, not really any different from an LBS.

And as far as I'm concerned an LBS still needs to earn its business. Too many small businesses fall into the trap of stagnating and thinking customers owe them rather than the other way 'round. If they stay reasonably competitive and offer a little extra -- like sound technical advice or info -- I'm willing to buy locally. Which I do for about 1/3 of my bike related purchases, including tubes, patch kits, lights, a saddle bag a couple of weeks ago, etc. That shop has done good repair work for me.

But they don't carry everything I want or need and I'm not willing to pay the much higher prices they'd charge to special order something. So Amazon gets about half of my bike related purchases. The rest are split between Nashbar and others.
Old 06-23-17, 02:58 AM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
I say go Carbon Fiber, it's all the fashion. Mind you I wouldn't trust it to hold anything other than a water bottle, but that's just me
I've read they can shatter, spewing shards of carbon fiber throughout the peloton.
Old 06-23-17, 04:43 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
If you get aluminum, get ones that have the "braces" (the part that bolts to the frame) clamped to the cage, not welded. I ride chipseal roads and I had a couple snap at the welds in a short period of time. Always on the down tube, not the seat tube. I only buy stainless cages now. Aluminum bends too easy and marks up the bottles.
Old 06-23-17, 05:59 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by canklecat
While I agree with supporting the LBS whenever possible and practical, Amazon is also a major local employer, both for warehouse employees and delivery drivers. Family, friends and acquaintances have worked for Amazon. They say it keeps them busy but pays well for this area and they've had worse jobs.

Yesterday the guy checking me out at the Dollartree said he used to work for Amazon's warehouse and misses the fatter paychecks. I asked him how the work environment compared with my old job on a heavy freight dock. He said it wasn't nearly as rough as a trucking freight dock and paid better.

Not defending the new job economy, making everyone a "contractor" with few or no benefits or job security. Just pointing out that Amazon is a local employer for some major metro areas, not really any different from an LBS.

And as far as I'm concerned an LBS still needs to earn its business. Too many small businesses fall into the trap of stagnating and thinking customers owe them rather than the other way 'round. If they stay reasonably competitive and offer a little extra -- like sound technical advice or info -- I'm willing to buy locally. Which I do for about 1/3 of my bike related purchases, including tubes, patch kits, lights, a saddle bag a couple of weeks ago, etc. That shop has done good repair work for me.

But they don't carry everything I want or need and I'm not willing to pay the much higher prices they'd charge to special order something. So Amazon gets about half of my bike related purchases. The rest are split between Nashbar and others.
Unfortunately that is a poor argument. Amazon is not local, yes they might have a warehouse or offices or what have you in your area but that money you are giving to them online isn't going to help those local folks out very much. Jeff Bezos doesn't become a billionaire by paying his employees well and worrying about their health and safety though he still could but like most of his ilk they prefer just making money hand over fist and not worrying about the little person.

Sure the job at Amazon might be better than a retail job in a dollar store but that isn't saying a whole lot. I don't think a lot of people list their dream job as cashier at Dollar Schlub ; )
Old 06-23-17, 08:01 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
@veganbikes -- If we extend that argument far enough we'd need to eliminate REI and most chain bicycle stores from being "local bike shops". So only my actual nearest bike shop, only a mile away, qualifies.

And if local means locally sourced, we'd eliminate every bike shop that doesn't sell bikes or accessories made in the US.

Since Light & Motion lights are at least designed and assembled in the US, that requalifies REI and disqualifies my actual local bike shop. Because REI carries the L&M but my LBS doesn't.

Detroit Bikes are made in the US -- from imported steel. (I may have inspected one of the last American steel manufacturers 20something years ago when I was a gummint safety inspector). Local enough? But there isn't a authorized retailer in my city to take delivery and assemble the bike, at least to qualify for the refunded shipping cost. But I can buy a Chinese made Trek or Electra from the nearest LBS. At least those bike companies began in the US.

The global economy makes it unrealistic to classify employers so easily as local or non-local, whether for the purposes of sustaining a local economy or supporting local employers and employees.
Old 06-23-17, 08:39 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like these cages. They adjust to accommodate almost anything, and provide ample security for whatever is contained:

https://smile.amazon.com/Topeak-Modu...er+bottle+cage

Not lightweight, and not under $10, but those weren't my criteria, when I bought them. I use aluminum and stainless cages on other bikes, and maybe a plastic or carbon fiber on my "fast" bike, too.
Old 06-23-17, 09:56 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I buy the Elite Cannibal cages from Merlin Cycles. Look great, light, wear pretty well relatively cheap and fit lots of styles of bottles very well.
Old 06-23-17, 08:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by canklecat
@veganbikes -- If we extend that argument far enough we'd need to eliminate REI and most chain bicycle stores from being "local bike shops". So only my actual nearest bike shop, only a mile away, qualifies.

And if local means locally sourced, we'd eliminate every bike shop that doesn't sell bikes or accessories made in the US.

Since Light & Motion lights are at least designed and assembled in the US, that requalifies REI and disqualifies my actual local bike shop. Because REI carries the L&M but my LBS doesn't.

Detroit Bikes are made in the US -- from imported steel. (I may have inspected one of the last American steel manufacturers 20something years ago when I was a gummint safety inspector). Local enough? But there isn't a authorized retailer in my city to take delivery and assemble the bike, at least to qualify for the refunded shipping cost. But I can buy a Chinese made Trek or Electra from the nearest LBS. At least those bike companies began in the US.

The global economy makes it unrealistic to classify employers so easily as local or non-local, whether for the purposes of sustaining a local economy or supporting local employers and employees.
My argument was less everything has to be made in the US (though that would be nice or at least made in NA) REI is not a great bike shop from going there and knowing folks who have or still work there. However at least they are fairly decent to employees and the stores look cool and are somewhat of an odd iteration of a Co-op. Though I can somewhat agree with parts of what you are saying especially regarding the global economy.

Detroit bikes were using MUSA True Temper have they changed (at least from MUSA obviously changing from True Temper makes sense due to TT being idiots).
Old 06-24-17, 06:00 AM
IamAlan

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp, 2006 Bianchi Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
I bought some $15 Tacx Deva cages a few weeks back:

So far they're great. Bottles held tight but still easy to get in and out.
+1 on the TACX. Especially since my bottles are insulated aluminum.
Old 06-24-17, 07:11 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Arundel Sport cages are excellent and you can get them from Merlin or Ribble for right about $10. They are light, and they simply work--extremely well and don't scratch up your bottles like metal cages do. I use them on all my bikes. A much better cage than any cheap carbon offering.

Last edited by Clipped_in; 06-24-17 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-25-17, 10:09 PM
nataliereed17

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to buy one of these thankyou guys!
Old 10-22-18, 09:49 PM
newenglandbikes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another good list of water bottles for cyclists can be found at Bicycle New England.
Old 10-23-18, 09:49 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I'm struggling to find a good side-entry cage for my GT Quatrefoil.

plastic cages aren't the prettiest but they are best for holding a vast array of different containers.
Old 10-23-18, 10:00 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Specialized makes some great side entry versions, called sidewinder or something.....have them on one of my bikes. On my daily use road bike I have one called ribcage from Specialized and its good too.

this could go on and on and on.....kind of like a lube thread
Old 10-23-18, 11:42 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I recently got an ebike, I mounted the old tried and true aluminum bottle cage to it but was having trouble pulling the bottle. The cage was mounted on the seat post a little higher than normal due to the battery being mounted in the triangle. I got one of these: Lezyne Side Load Flow Bottle Cage. Works like a charm.
Old 10-23-18, 12:46 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
I prefer SS cages. You can bend them inwards to tighten the hold on the bottle (the hold loosens after a while). With alloy cages, eventually they crack from doing this, but you can bend SS many more times without cracking.

I've never tried plastic or carbon cages.
Old 10-23-18, 01:40 PM
Pendergast

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Zee Cage is the Specialized side loader. I have the plastic ones on my mountain bikes. They're pricey for plastic(around $20-25, I think), but they do work well. They also make them in carbon, but I just won't pay $60 for a water bottle cage.
Old 10-30-18, 12:37 PM
dwolsten

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 1995 Trek 470

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to second the recommendation for Specialized: I have two of their "Rib cages", which is a plastic page that retails for $20. It's quite light for a plastic cage (33g I think), not as light as carbon but much lighter than metal, and it grips my insulated Polar bottles quite well. The only downside is that it isn't cheap (but again, it's not nearly as expensive as a high-quality carbon fibre cage).
Old 10-30-18, 01:44 PM
MikeEckhaus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I use Bontrager RL cages on all three bikes. A couple of the cages have been mounted for years. No failures, never lost a bottle. Lots of colors available, although mine are all black. The mountain bike has a side entry Bontrager RL on it. Also, no issues. I had some Forte (Performance Bike house brand) cages on one of my bikes for a while, but they both broke in the same place. Didn't lose a bottle though. Performance replaced them both immediately, as they warranty that stuff for life anyway. I still changed that bike over to the Bontragers since I didn't want to have failures again.
Old 10-30-18, 09:02 PM
musicmaster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll second the "Elite Custom Race" cages. I got mine from Merlin for $8/each and outfitted them on all my bikes. No issues, light and they stay in place.

Only downside is the 21oz Polar Chills don't fit, but the 25oz version does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.