Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Selle Anatomica Saddles

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Selle Anatomica Saddles

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-19, 01:48 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
I know this thread is long going but since I ordered an H1 today much of the decision was based on posts here in this thread I thought I'd give it a bumb.
I recently discovered that my sit bones aren't perpendicular to my spine so when sitting more weight is supported by my left sit bone than my right. I thought that maybe a leather saddle would eventually level out my unlevelness.I c

I'll update when I get some miles on the SA.
That is also a symptom of a too high seat height. You tend to drop to one side to compensate, causing the issue you describe. I noticed it with my B17. I dropped my seat height, and the issue went away. Now, the dimples in my seat are equidistant from each side, and both look to be the same. I am more comfortable as well.
Old 02-02-19, 07:26 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phughes
That is also a symptom of a too high seat height. You tend to drop to one side to compensate, causing the issue you describe. I noticed it with my B17. I dropped my seat height, and the issue went away. Now, the dimples in my seat are equidistant from each side, and both look to be the same. I am more comfortable as well.
This conclusion isn't based on impressions left in my seat but when measuring my sit bones per the directions of a saddle manufacturer. I have measured myself, in the same way, many times with the sitting on corrugated paper, always rocking left and right until I made a measurable impression. This time I was watching a video made by SQlabs about their active saddle technology, which allows the saddle to rock back and forth. Looking at it from that perspective made me think about what was going on when I had to rock to force contact.

The SA may not the answer but, so far, fate is smiling on me. I ordered it early Friday morning before work and before they raised all the prices $20/saddle later in the day.
Old 02-02-19, 10:31 PM
phughes

This conclusion isn't based on impressions left in my seat but when measuring my sit bones per the directions of a saddle manufacturer. I have measured myself, in the same way, many times with the sitting on corrugated paper, always rocking left and right until I made a measurable impression. This time I was watching a video made by SQlabs about their active saddle technology, which allows the saddle to rock back and forth. Looking at it from that perspective made me think about what was going on when I had to rock to force contact.

The SA may not the answer but, so far, fate is smiling on me. I ordered it early Friday morning before work and before they raised all the prices $20/saddle later in the day.
If you rock back and forth, you cannot expect to make the impressions equally on each side. There is simply too many variables. I would not read too much into the impressions made that way. The only thing the impression really tells you, is the position of your sit bones. You are reading too much into the results.
Old 02-02-19, 11:31 PM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
If you rock back and forth, you cannot expect to make the impressions equally on each side. There is simply too many variables. I would not read too much into the impressions made that way. The only thing the impression really tells you, is the position of your sit bones. You are reading too much into the results.
No, what I'm saying is that unless I rocked back and forth my right side bone didn't make an impression, the goal was to make an impression that could be measured. Imagine drawing a horizontal line from the contact point of each of my sit bones and then drawing a line vertically through my spine. Where the lines intersected would not be 2 right angles, one a few degrees beyond 90 and the other a few less. If I sit with my spine vertical and press myself into something my left sit bone leave a deeper impression because it's literally lower than my right sit bone. I subconsciously correct that when I'm sitting in a chair watching TV, or at my desk working or when driving by leaning but leaning doesn't work well on a bicycle so I'm looking for a saddle that will counteract that my unevenness.
Old 02-03-19, 12:06 AM
phughes

No, what I'm saying is that unless I rocked back and forth my right side bone didn't make an impression, the goal was to make an impression that could be measured. Imagine drawing a horizontal line from the contact point of each of my sit bones and then drawing a line vertically through my spine. Where the lines intersected would not be 2 right angles, one a few degrees beyond 90 and the other a few less. If I sit with my spine vertical and press myself into something my left sit bone leave a deeper impression because it's literally lower than my right sit bone. I subconsciously correct that when I'm sitting in a chair watching TV, or at my desk working or when driving by leaning but leaning doesn't work well on a bicycle so I'm looking for a saddle that will counteract that my unevenness.
Okay, still too many variables to come to that conclusion. Now, if you have been assessed by an orthopedic, who measured, then I would buy it, but based on impressions achieved by sitting on something, no. If you have to press yourself into whatever you are trying to make an impression in, then you will not be able to do that with exactly the same force, equally on both sides.
Old 02-03-19, 01:34 AM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Okay, still too many variables to come to that conclusion. Now, if you have been assessed by an orthopedic, who measured, then I would buy it, but based on impressions achieved by sitting on something, no. If you have to press yourself into whatever you are trying to make an impression in, then you will not be able to do that with exactly the same force, equally on both sides.
So you don't "buy it" that I could have an anatomy abnormality based on everything I've told you and are still convinced that I just have a seat too high?
Old 02-03-19, 12:39 PM
phughes

So you don't "buy it" that I could have an anatomy abnormality based on everything I've told you and are still convinced that I just have a seat too high?
No, I am not saying either. I am saying the method by which you came to the conclusion isn't conclusive. I also never said your seat was too high, I don;t know. I mentioned that what you describe cane be a symptom of that, not that it is in your case. You may very well have what you say you do, but sitting on something to make an impression cannot accurately detect that. There are too many variables.

I hope the saddle works for you. It is a great saddle. Let us know how you like it. I have a feeling you'll love it. I find the Sella to be a very forgiving saddle. If I didn't already have my Brooks, I would get one.
Old 02-03-19, 03:21 PM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
No, I am not saying either. I am saying the method by which you came to the conclusion isn't conclusive. I also never said your seat was too high, I don;t know. I mentioned that what you describe cane be a symptom of that, not that it is in your case. You may very well have what you say you do, but sitting on something to make an impression cannot accurately detect that. There are too many variables.

I hope the saddle works for you. It is a great saddle. Let us know how you like it. I have a feeling you'll love it. I find the Sella to be a very forgiving saddle. If I didn't already have my Brooks, I would get one.
Did you read post 100, where I described how I used my weight bench and lat attachment to align my spine vertically and the lat bar to push down against?
Old 02-03-19, 03:31 PM
phughes

Did you read post 100, where I described how I used my weight bench and lat attachment to align my spine vertically and the lat bar to push down against?
Yes. Unfortunately, it is impossible to push down completely equally on both sides, and impossible to know if your body distributes the force equally on each side as you push down. Too many variables. It's not important at this point though. What is important is that the seat works for you. I have a feeling it will, but then again, I don't know. I do know you chose a quality seat that almost everyone I know personally who owns one, likes it. I like the way it feels as well. It is comfortable for me, right out of the box. It is a nice supple seat. As I said, I would have one on my bike if my Brooks wasn't working for me.

Enjoy your new seat.
Old 02-03-19, 04:35 PM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Yes. Unfortunately, it is impossible to push down completely equally on both sides, and impossible to know if your body distributes the force equally on each side as you push down. Too many variables. It's not important at this point though. What is important is that the seat works for you. I have a feeling it will, but then again, I don't know. I do know you chose a quality seat that almost everyone I know personally who owns one, likes it. I like the way it feels as well. It is comfortable for me, right out of the box. It is a nice supple seat. As I said, I would have one on my bike if my Brooks wasn't working for me.

Enjoy your new seat.
I get that you're over this debate and are being nice about it but I wonder if you're seeing something I'm missing. No, I couldn't guarantee that the force on the right and left were completely equal but with the downward force being transferred from my shoulders through my spine into the pelvis should be pretty evenly distributed each sit bone unless the spine and pelvis aren't perpendicular. As far as the Brooks vs the Selle Anatomica, I had been really weighing the pros and cons of each for weeks. My conclusion was for the majority of people either will work very well. The Brooks being more durable long term and the SA more comfortable sooner. The cost of an Imperial B17 was about the same as the SA at the time I placed the order. In the end, I chose the one which was available in the color combo I liked best, lol.
Old 02-04-19, 05:36 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts

Curious.. why didn't you try an SQLabs saddle instead?
Old 02-04-19, 11:55 AM
phughes

I get that you're over this debate and are being nice about it but I wonder if you're seeing something I'm missing. No, I couldn't guarantee that the force on the right and left were completely equal but with the downward force being transferred from my shoulders through my spine into the pelvis should be pretty evenly distributed each sit bone unless the spine and pelvis aren't perpendicular. As far as the Brooks vs the Selle Anatomica, I had been really weighing the pros and cons of each for weeks. My conclusion was for the majority of people either will work very well. The Brooks being more durable long term and the SA more comfortable sooner. The cost of an Imperial B17 was about the same as the SA at the time I placed the order. In the end, I chose the one which was available in the color combo I liked best, lol.
I doubt I am seeing anything you are missing. I can only offer suggestions and speculate, you are actually there. As for the choice between the SA or the Brooks Imperial, I would be inclined to go with the SA, and I cannot truly justify that answer. I love Brooks, but I've never tried the Imperial. I think the Selle is a very nice saddle, and unless you are a true clydesdale, it should last a good long time. Saddle choice can be tough, but honestly, the Selle is a great seat and should be very comfortable. The fact that you found the SA in the color you liked best, is another reason to go with the Selle. Now if your were buying a seat that didn't have a good reputation based solely on color, then no, but in this case it's just one more added benefit.
Old 02-04-19, 09:43 PM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Curious.. why didn't you try an SQLabs saddle instead?
I felt that if my assessment is correct that the leather would likely stretch more to accommodate the unevenness and eventually contour to my specific shape. What SA calls "flex-fly" also seemed to farther separate the left and right sides of the saddle as well. I felt Brooks' Imperial would have also given me similar benefits.As soon as I started seeing, what I believe to be unevenness in my sit bones I was thinking leather due to its ability to conform to the rider. From there which leather was the question. I researched and emailed both SA and Brooks for more than 3 weeks. Then Friday with the good weather coming I wanted to pull the trigger on one of them and at that moment the SA sale was ending and I was able to the black leather with black frame and brass rivets. It's suppose to be in Thursday and be in the 70's here.
Old 02-04-19, 09:45 PM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I doubt I am seeing anything you are missing. I can only offer suggestions and speculate, you are actually there. As for the choice between the SA or the Brooks Imperial, I would be inclined to go with the SA, and I cannot truly justify that answer. I love Brooks, but I've never tried the Imperial. I think the Selle is a very nice saddle, and unless you are a true clydesdale, it should last a good long time. Saddle choice can be tough, but honestly, the Selle is a great seat and should be very comfortable. The fact that you found the SA in the color you liked best, is another reason to go with the Selle. Now if your were buying a seat that didn't have a good reputation based solely on color, then no, but in this case it's just one more added benefit.
My B-DAY is the 28th. I'll be getting another saddle then. Either another SA or a Brooks if I don't 100% love the SA.
Old 02-05-19, 10:18 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Does anyone find the 1yr warranty a bit odd, considering there seems to be a comparison to the brooks?
I'm not sure I get the disconnect, but it's so long since I bought a new Brooks, I don't think I know their warrantee any more. I do greatly appreciate the capacity of the S-A saddles to be serviced based on listed available parts. I find the thin leather on the modern, off the peg Brookses rather odd considering the healthy-feeling leather on a Selle AnAtomica. Mrs. Road Fan, who doesn't even overload a Selle AnAtomica pre-X base model, caused a Brooks Professional S to just collapse on one side, in the past. OTOH, she now has a NOS Brooks B17 Select with leather more like the SA, and loves it. I loaned it to her, then she nearly attacked my hand when I wanted to put it on my bike, which I had bought it for. Lucky for us I found another Select on-line just lately.
Old 02-05-19, 05:04 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I'm not sure I get the disconnect, but it's so long since I bought a new Brooks, I don't think I know their warrantee any more..
just an FYI, the SA saddles and the company itself look well put together
https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/brooks-forever
Old 02-05-19, 08:54 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
While I genuinely applaud Brooks for putting out a 10 year warranty (which in this day and age is almost unheard of) but I have an equally genuine issue with calling it "Brooks Forever." Because, umm, 10 years ≠ forever.

This is the most blatant case of false advertising since my suit against the movie The Neverending Story. -- Attorney Lionel Hutz

​​​​​​​
Old 02-06-19, 06:10 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by kcblair
My first SA saddle , surprised me a first. Previously, all my saddles were installed in a level position, with a level. First ride, I slammed on the brakes , and almost slide off the bike. When straight home, and started, slightly, tipping the front of the SA up, until I stayed seated. Problem solved . Of course, lowering the rear of the SA, I needed to raise the entire seat post, as that altered the saddle height, slightly. KB
I have had that same experience on several SA saddles. It's almost as if we should be setting saddle position (when we do it my measuring) to the wide space where the sitbones are, rather than along the seat tube of the frame. It would allow for setback and for tilt.
Old 02-06-19, 06:38 AM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Thinking about ordering one of these, and wondering who can recommend them, who doesn't and why to both.

What are the differences between X and H's? Other than weight specifications, website rather vague.
I like selle products but I prefer Adamo saddles more....
Old 02-06-19, 01:08 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I have had that same experience on several SA saddles. It's almost as if we should be setting saddle position (when we do it my measuring) to the wide space where the sitbones are, rather than along the seat tube of the frame. It would allow for setback and for tilt.
That sounds like a good idea. Almost makes you look like you don't know how to setup a saddle, when you seethe tilts. Oh , well, it does work and very comfy . KB
Old 02-06-19, 02:23 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Aaaaaaaaand just for fun, here in 2019/Year of the Pig tensioned leather saddle manufacturers include: Berthoud (France), Brooks (UK), Gyes (Taiwan), Ideale (France), Lepper (Netherlands), Nasiruddin (India), Selle Italia (Italy), Selle Anatomica (USA), Selle Monte Grappa (Italy) and Tabor (Portugal).
Old 02-06-19, 05:28 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by kcblair
That sounds like a good idea. Almost makes you look like you don't know how to setup a saddle, when you seethe tilts. Oh , well, it does work and very comfy . KB
For me, comfort is the goal, not following some rules. The Heel Test is about the only convention on saddles I buy into, and it's still just a starting point.
Old 02-28-19, 10:44 PM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
After a month of nearly 10" of rain I finally got to ride the new SA I order the first of the month. I felt good right from the start but I quickly noticed I want sliding forward on the saddle. I had set it up with the nose 1/4" high. After about 10 miles I adjusted the nose up a bit, but about twice as much as I should have. It took care of the sliding forward but caused some noticeable perineal nerve pressure, I split the difference and all was good. At the end of 2 hours, I was feeling the edges bulge a bit and when I finished the ride the slot looked a little narrow. I'll tension it before riding again.

Saturday is suppose to be nice weather but I've got too much to do around the house to not take advantage of the 1 day of good weather being forecasted, back to rain and snow next week. Here are some pictures of today's ride with my new camera that I don't know how to use.

Old 03-01-19, 03:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have yet to find a Fizik saddle that isn't a complete ass-hatchet,
Probably because you just look @ the Men's Race bike saddles ....

I discovered a Fizik Vitesse version that Brompton got made for them, Steel Rails a high clearance Bend,, Black .

NOS @ CM Wasson , so I got 4.. its a C17 width, unisex .. light, dense padding.. Pleather cover so rain proof..

Old 03-01-19, 08:05 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I was on vacation in San Diego and stopped by the Selle Anatomica warehouse. I picked up an H2 saddle in black. I thought it looked awesome and I was excited to try it out. I started with it 1% up, I slid. Tilted it 1.5%, I slid, I tilted it 2%, stopped sliding, but I had pain in a place where you don't want to have pain. I lowered the saddle a cm, it felt a little better. I played with fore/aft, didn't help. I rode 125 miles outside and 2 Zwift sessions and I was feeling pain. I can get used to a lot, but not when it caused pain down below. It broke my heart, but I decided to send the saddle back. I'm back to my Pro Stealth saddle and I wish I could have got used to the H2, but it wasn't meant to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.