Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 07-26-20, 09:33 AM
  #15351  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 35,449

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17349 Post(s)
Liked 6,068 Times in 3,132 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Big fatigue and fitness numbers, low form, and massive and continuous slope in that fitness. The last thing Iíd worry about is adding TSS!
My form pre-ride yesterday was beyond green and in to gray, so it was that 3+ hours at 81% that brought it slightly in to the red and now I'm back in the green today.
WhyFi is online now  
Old 07-26-20, 09:46 AM
  #15352  
MoAlpha
ē ó
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,687

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6928 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
My form pre-ride yesterday was beyond green and in to gray, so it was that 3+ hours at 81% that brought it slightly in to the red and now I'm back in the green today.
The green means fitness is increasing week on week, which obviously becomes harder and harder to do. Here my chart:



Thereís lots of green early in the season, but I canít sustain it and I canít live in the red. Iím too old and just donít recover.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 07-26-20, 09:50 AM
  #15353  
MoAlpha
ē ó
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,687

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6928 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
My form pre-ride yesterday was beyond green and in to gray, so it was that 3+ hours at 81% that brought it slightly in to the red and now I'm back in the green today.
Just sent a follow request on Intervals.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 07-26-20, 09:59 AM
  #15354  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,755

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3421 Post(s)
Liked 3,637 Times in 1,835 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
The green means fitness is increasing week on week, which obviously becomes harder and harder to do. Here my chart:



Thereís lots of green early in the season, but I canít sustain it and I canít live in the red. Iím too old and just donít recover.
Yikes! I wouldn't want to have to follow all of that stuff. Too much like work, by which I mean literally too much like my work, the stuff they pay me to do - data mining. Lucky for me I can't afford a power meter!
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."
genejockey is offline  
Old 07-26-20, 10:07 AM
  #15355  
MoAlpha
ē ó
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,687

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6928 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
Yikes! I wouldn't want to have to follow all of that stuff. Too much like work, by which I mean literally too much like my work, the stuff they pay me to do - data mining. Lucky for me I can't afford a power meter!
Physiologists goní fizzle. I love my work; itís just an advanced and over-regulated form of play.
MoAlpha is offline  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-26-20, 10:11 AM
  #15356  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 6,755

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3421 Post(s)
Liked 3,637 Times in 1,835 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Physiologists goní fizzle. I love my work; itís just an advanced and over-regulated form of play.
I'd find myself looking for meaning in the shape of the curves - plug them into Prism and test curve fits.....
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."
genejockey is offline  
Old 07-26-20, 10:17 AM
  #15357  
MoAlpha
ē ó
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,687

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6928 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey View Post
I'd find myself looking for meaning in the shape of the curves - plug them into Prism and test curve fits.....
The data arenít that good.
MoAlpha is offline  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-26-20, 10:22 AM
  #15358  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 35,734

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 502 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15508 Post(s)
Liked 3,484 Times in 1,740 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post


So, are you done for the week? Asking for a friend.
Yes. Itís all yours. I mean your friendís.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-26-20, 10:45 AM
  #15359  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 37,590

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7754 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,534 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Yes. Itís all yours. I mean your friendís.
so all's I need to do is spin an easy century by midnight? Hmmm
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 07-26-20, 10:47 AM
  #15360  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 37,590

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7754 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,534 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
so all's I need to do is spin an easy century by midnight? Hmmm
Or does the week end at midnight in Turkey? What's that, about 2pm?
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 07-26-20, 10:51 AM
  #15361  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 35,734

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 502 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15508 Post(s)
Liked 3,484 Times in 1,740 Posts
They should have a leaderboard for altitude. I could win that one pretty much every week.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-26-20, 10:53 AM
  #15362  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 42,751

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 740 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19933 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I'll take some of the banana sourdough bread in another week.
Fixed.
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is online now  
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 07-26-20, 10:58 AM
  #15363  
kissTheApex
Senior Member
 
kissTheApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,439

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
Or does the week end at midnight in Turkey? What's that, about 2pm?
5pm eastern during DST. 4 pm eastern during EST, because his exultantness decided it was ďunnecessaryĒ several years ago.

most probably his microscopic brain couldnít handle the change.
kissTheApex is offline  
Old 07-26-20, 11:02 AM
  #15364  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 29,501

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9104 Post(s)
Liked 2,792 Times in 1,583 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
so all's I need to do is spin an easy century by midnight? In Phoenix. Arizona. Hmmm
Fixed.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 07-26-20, 11:02 AM
  #15365  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, YucatŠn, Mťxico
Posts: 15,428

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7079 Post(s)
Liked 888 Times in 603 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Heidi want to Target yesterday evening and asked if we needed anything. Mrs datlas told her to get 3 bananas. She comes home with 3 BUNCHES of bananas! Google tells me we can preserve the bananas from ripening if we wrap each stem individually with plastic cling wrap. Anyone ever try? Does it work? I can post results in a few days.
Peel and freeze them for smoothies
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Auto-pause is a honey-tongued devil whispering sweet lies in your ear.


seedsbelize is offline  
Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 07-26-20, 11:03 AM
  #15366  
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 17,468

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6902 Post(s)
Liked 2,160 Times in 1,155 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
so all's I need to do is spin an easy century by midnight? Hmmm
I have 85 or 86 miles in the chamber I could upload, but not worth the effort for bronze.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 07-26-20, 11:12 AM
  #15367  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 42,751

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 740 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19933 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex View Post
5pm eastern during DST. 4 pm eastern during EST, because his exultantness decided it was ďunnecessaryĒ several years ago.

most probably his microscopic brain couldnít handle the change.
wut
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 07-26-20, 11:16 AM
  #15368  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, YucatŠn, Mťxico
Posts: 15,428

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7079 Post(s)
Liked 888 Times in 603 Posts
A lovely stretch of gravel today. I'm gonna hit that one more frequently. Now that I can self-identitify as a gravel rider. This might be as closely in sync with current trends as I have ever been.
__________________
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Auto-pause is a honey-tongued devil whispering sweet lies in your ear.


seedsbelize is offline  
Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 07-26-20, 12:08 PM
  #15369  
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger
 
Pirkaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,136

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Heidi want to Target yesterday evening and asked if we needed anything. Mrs datlas told her to get 3 bananas. She comes home with 3 BUNCHES of bananas! Google tells me we can preserve the bananas from ripening if we wrap each stem individually with plastic cling wrap. Anyone ever try? Does it work? I can post results in a few days.
Freeze excess once they're ripe, throw I blender with strawberries, pineapple, chocolate sauce, and choice of milk, banana split smoothie 😋
Pirkaus is offline  
Old 07-26-20, 12:09 PM
  #15370  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 35,449

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17349 Post(s)
Liked 6,068 Times in 3,132 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
What number/line is that?

edit:

And now, post ride with a little more training stress, I'm no longer green, but back in to the red for the day... but I should be back in the green again tomorrow, going by past efforts. So yeah, I'm not really sitting in the red as much as it looks like - I'm doing moderate efforts in the green, and it says I'm good to train, which dips me back in to the red for the remainder of the day.

WhyFi is online now  
Old 07-26-20, 12:23 PM
  #15371  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 17,271
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3265 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Ick. Yesterday was so sticky that I couldn't really use the (unwrapped) tops of my handlebars because they were too slickery with sweat that just wouldn't dry. While prepping in hopes of a late-morning ride, I noticed that there was still an oily sheen here and there. Puke.
Threw my salt encrusted gloves from yesterday in the wash and forgot to take a clean pair in the car today and I was slipping all over the bars. I like to put my palms on the hoods to stretch out but that wouldn't work. I was even slipping in the drops.
big john is offline  
Old 07-26-20, 12:29 PM
  #15372  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 17,271
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3265 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
They should have a leaderboard for altitude. I could win that one pretty much every week.
How many feet per year? When I was working and sort of keeping track I did at least 300K feet per year in about 6K miles. A friend did at least 600K every year for at least 15 years. He did it in about 8K miles. He was always slow and physical problems have caught up to him so I don't think he tries for that anymore.

I know 2 guys who have done 1 Million feet in a year. One of them was going to try for 2 million but said it became like a job and he started hating it.
big john is offline  
Old 07-26-20, 12:34 PM
  #15373  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 35,734

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 502 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15508 Post(s)
Liked 3,484 Times in 1,740 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
How many feet per year? When I was working and sort of keeping track I did at least 300K feet per year in about 6K miles. A friend did at least 600K every year for at least 15 years. He did it in about 8K miles. He was always slow and physical problems have caught up to him so I don't think he tries for that anymore.

I know 2 guys who have done 1 Million feet in a year. One of them was going to try for 2 million but said it became like a job and he started hating it.
I do aim for close to 100 feet/mile. Strava tells me I have 335k feet and 5K miles so far this year.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-26-20, 12:34 PM
  #15374  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 42,751

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 740 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19933 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize View Post
Now that I can self-identitify as a gravel rider. This might be as closely in sync with current trends as I have ever been.
Aren't you old to be re-identifying?
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 07-26-20, 12:41 PM
  #15375  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
DougRNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 7,406

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5445 Post(s)
Liked 959 Times in 597 Posts
Originally Posted by velo vol View Post
aren't you old to be re-identifying?
smh
DougRNS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.