Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is really better, Trek or Specialized?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-20, 11:34 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by pwhite
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, if so I do apologize. I have one of each and I have been wondering which brand is more popular? I see Specialized advertised more than I see trek. Thanks in advance.
You were smart to apologize.

But the answer is yes, definitely
Old 05-17-20, 08:33 AM
Jimmy Wisdom
-__-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 8 Posts
I've owned four different Specialized bikes over the years. Two of the three bikes I currently own are Specialized bikes. I've never owned a Trek. You'd think Specialized would be my easy answer, but I I'm not stupid and I know all the major manufacturers make great bikes. I'd have no hesitation buying a Trek.
Old 05-17-20, 11:10 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by cybirr
I had a choice between four different LBS/IBS in my area. There are more but they catered to different riding styles. The one that made me feel most welcome carried Specialized. The one I disliked the most carried Trek. The one I disliked the most is now a Trek company store. I hated that store so much.
Yeah if you have an idiot dealer then it changes everything. I love nissan cars but I absolutely hate my nissan dealer which is why I have stuck with my old car for so long.
Old 05-17-20, 02:48 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
Flip a coin
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I did. It landed on its edge. How should I interpret that?
N+1 so buy one of each.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
If this is to be a proper train wreck, it needs more Giant.

And speaking of brands with weird naming habits, my Giant is apparently named after optical character recognition.
AND I need MORE COWBELL!!

Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 05-17-20, 03:09 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, if so I do apologize. I have one of each and I have been wondering which brand is more popular? I see Specialized advertised more than I see trek. Thanks in advance.

Pffffff, everyone knows Specialized is the best, even though some won't admit it.
Old 05-17-20, 06:37 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Pffffff, everyone knows Specialized is the best, even though some won't admit it.
So do you drink Bud Light also?
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-17-20, 06:45 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
the masculine Bud Light Seltzer?
Old 05-18-20, 07:01 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Who’s better at offering you a color matched warranty frame replacement when the CF frame cracks?
Old 05-18-20, 07:11 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Who’s better at offering you a color matched warranty frame replacement when the CF frame cracks?
If you are having frames break then unless you are doing some extreme downhills it's not much of a selling point lol
Old 05-18-20, 07:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
indyfabz is not posting a picture of his bike for some reason despite requests, so I'm taking the liberty of posting it for him:

Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-18-20, 07:53 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
That GMC looks professional grade.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 05-18-20, 08:09 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
This is kind of a moot question, Except for a few high end bikes from both mfg, most of their bikes are probably built in the far East by the same frame mfg companies. they weld up the same frame, then paint them with which ever company that ordered them.

A frame is just welded up tubes, and they are dressed with components from 4 or 5 component companies. One better than the other, not really since they are actually all the same.
Old 05-18-20, 08:11 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
This is kind of a moot question, Except for a few high end bikes from both mfg, most of their bikes are probably built in the far East by the same frame mfg companies. they weld up the same frame, then paint them with which ever company that ordered them.

A frame is just welded up tubes, and they are dressed with components from 4 or 5 component companies. One better than the other, not really since they are actually all the same.
Old 05-18-20, 10:02 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
The answer to your title question is “yes”. That’s probably the answer to which is more popular as well.

Originally Posted by theDirtyLemon
Obviously Miyata.
Outta business. Kind of a moot answer. In terms of mountain bikes (mid80s to early 90s), I’d say no. My first mountain bike was a Miyata Ridge Runner. Fork broke at the steer tube...not covered by warranty even though I was told by the local rep that all of them needed to be replaced because they were breaking. Frame broke at the welds for the bottom bracket brace...not covered by warranty because I rode it off-road. After I got it repaired, the dropout broke when the axle sheered...obviously not covered by warranty because of the repair. Frame finally trashed when more cracks developed around the bottom bracket brace.

Originally Posted by Oneder
Trek has good older bikes and wide selection and pretty good service and web site. Specialized is literally as generic as possible. Components are the same pretty much and you probably won't care much between one set and another anyway. But really there is just not a lot to say.
Well we know where your loyalties lie, don’t we? Specialized is no more or less generic than Trek is. Both have inexpensive bikes and both have high end bikes. Within a price point, there is very little difference in quality and component selection. Trek’s inexpensive bikes use the same parts are Specialized’s inexpensive bikes. Specialized’s expensive bikes are competitive with Trek’s expensive bikes. In terms of innovation, both companies have excellent records in coming up with new and novel ideas.

Personally, I think Specialized had an edge in dual suspension mountain bikes for a number of years with their Epic FSR series. By far a better dually due to the “Brain” technology on the rear suspension. It’s the only dual suspension bike I’ve ever ridden that doesn’t “inchworm” as I ride it. The rear is stiff under compression and compliant when impacted. I have 2 of them and a third frame.

Originally Posted by rydabent

That’s a bit simplistic. Yes, the frames may be made by a contractor fabrication company but that doesn’t mean that they are all the same but painted in different colors. There are some differences between the frames and the components specified. The differences may not be large but there are some differences.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-18-20, 11:12 AM
mud711

Bikes: Fuji Professional 2.0, Specialized Robaix SL4 Expert

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Specialized of course.....especially since I put my favorite Brooks B17 on it......jus sayin.....and I use Boeshiled T9.........
Old 05-18-20, 11:17 AM
amazer98

Bikes: Salsa Vaya in bright orange

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
‘Better’ is a tricky word

A month or two ago I was perusing some bike forum on a different site, and this same question popped up. There were a number of bicycle dealers piping in on the topic, and the consensus was that Trek was in a class by itself when it came to remedying problems with their bikes.

Now, nobody said that specialized was terrible or even bad in backing up their products, but my sense was that they weren’t particularly enthusiastic about always doing the right thing for the customer. That said, I would still buy a Specialized if they had a model that I wanted that Trek or another company couldn’t quite match or if it just fit me better.

For that matter, there are a lot of other quality manufacturers that make interesting bikes that offer a good value. Salsa, Giant, Cannondale, Ritchley, Canyon are just a few of those. They all use the same componentry – Shimano, SRAM or Campy- And their frames are often made to spec in the same Taiwanese factory as the others.

So pick the style of bike that you want: road, gravel, cross, hybrid, touring,etc. Decide on your price point. Compare the componentry packages of each model on your short list. Then take a test ride on each of the finalists and pick the bike that feels the best. Don’t overthink the manufacturer.

Last edited by amazer98; 05-18-20 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-18-20, 11:23 AM
viffer
Live to Ride

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent

Most carbon frames are monocoque these days and wouldn’t be welded even if they were assembled from tubes. I have an older Madone made in Waterloo which I still like, not cutting edge anymore for sure but still a great older bike that’s holding up well. I hated their Asian made frames when they first came out but the new ones are excellent and are ridden even by the pros. The higher end frames aren’t bought from generic manufacturers and dressed up, Trek is still involved in all aspects of design, production and quality control so you can’ really say they’re all the same.

And as long as you’re buying on the higher end of the spectrum I would guess you could say the same for all manufacturers including Specialized. All will be producing a unique high quality product, good enough for professional race teams.
Likes For viffer:
Old 05-18-20, 12:34 PM
viffer
Live to Ride

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Ginger or Mary Ann? Betty or Wilma? Daphne or Velma?
Jenn Marlowe or Bailey Quarters?
Old 05-18-20, 12:53 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Ginger or Mary Ann? Betty or Wilma? Daphne or Velma?
Jeannie or Samantha?
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 05-18-20, 01:09 PM
jjankie

Bikes: NOW: Trek Checkpoint ARL 4; PAST: Trek Boone 5 - stolen Nov 2019; Bianchi Volpe lost in MN River July 2014

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Giant.
Old 05-18-20, 01:10 PM
chuck nacke

Bikes: TREK Pro 770, TREK 2300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Better? I've been riding my TREK 770 Pro for over 20 years. That is best for me.
Currently running all D-A 7402, Carbon fork and MAVIC Cosmic wheels.

I like my old steel ride, but TREK's customer service stinks, I called them with some
simple questions and they were of no help.

I have also only driven M-B autos for decades,
going back to my 62 220 D and M-B's customer service is great.

Chuck
Likes For chuck nacke:
Old 05-18-20, 01:21 PM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Specialized is the more innovative .
Old 05-18-20, 01:25 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I do have the answer for you.
NO!!!!!!
Old 05-18-20, 01:28 PM
mikebiro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Trek for road bikes, Specialized for mountain bikes

As I own a Specialized: 1990 Stumpjumper, 2000 Stumpjumper M2 Comp, 2017 RockHopper Comp 29, and a 2020 Epic Hardtail 29 Comp, vs

a Trek 1992 1400, 1997 5000, 2008 FX 7.5, 2016 Emonda ALR 6; and - oops - one "crossover", a 2017 Specialized Sirrus Elite...
Likes For mikebiro:
Old 05-18-20, 01:28 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
You were smart to apologize.

But the answer is yes, definitely
I beg to differ.
The answer is no, definitely.
Likes For dkatz1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.