Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike computers are worthless. Change my mind.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike computers are worthless. Change my mind.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 04:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Has anyone figured why OP wanted to change his mind? He seemed pretty content with his viewpoint
That comes from trying to meme in real life. Never works.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-17-20, 09:22 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
As somebody who has an actual $30 phone as a bike computer I think I can make a stab at this.
I'd say the main issue with a phone (in my case a 2015 Motorola E) is not the hardware. Sure, the screen lacks brightness, it flunks out in rain, I need to carry a battery pack for rides >4hrs but all these are minor compromises that are worth the basic price.
The big issue is software.
I installed an ultra-basic version of android, tweaked settings and apps - all to enhance battery life and appearance (and get ant+ running). All this took hours and hours of futzing about and may only be viable if you like doing this stuff and have some background in cell phone software.
And then there is the question of what software. If you compare a phone to a garmin/wahoo, what app would you suggest gives them a run for it's money? Strava is next to useless except to record the ride. There's ridewithgps, komoot (what I use), bikecomputer and many more but they all seem to have their issues and have steeper learning curves than just loading a route onto a garmin or wahoo and off you go.
Old 06-17-20, 09:41 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Originally Posted by bluehills3149
As somebody who has an actual $30 phone as a bike computer I think I can make a stab at this.
I'd say the main issue with a phone (in my case a 2015 Motorola E) is not the hardware. Sure, the screen lacks brightness, it flunks out in rain, I need to carry a battery pack for rides >4hrs but all these are minor compromises that are worth the basic price.
The big issue is software.
I installed an ultra-basic version of android, tweaked settings and apps - all to enhance battery life and appearance (and get ant+ running). All this took hours and hours of futzing about and may only be viable if you like doing this stuff and have some background in cell phone software.
And then there is the question of what software. If you compare a phone to a garmin/wahoo, what app would you suggest gives them a run for it's money? Strava is next to useless except to record the ride. There's ridewithgps, komoot (what I use), bikecomputer and many more but they all seem to have their issues and have steeper learning curves than just loading a route onto a garmin or wahoo and off you go.
wahoo used to be simple, but now it's cumbersome for loading specific routes onto it. Also it is constantly seeking an update..
Old 06-18-20, 09:56 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
For me bike computers like a Cateye are worthless. A PITA to set up. I use a basic Garmin and upload the data to Strava so I can compare my rides/segments to previous months and years. Also keeps track of my total miles.
Agreed. I have a Karoo which I download the data onto Strava and for S&G a Cateye as well. The Cateye gains about 10 miles for every 500, according to the GPS. Being a numbers guy, I love the data I get off the combination of my power meter (Stages 3) and head unit.
Old 06-18-20, 01:05 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
The original battery in the computer on my then new Cross Check went dead on the 2nd day of an 8 day tour. It made the rest of the week so much more relaxing that I took them off my other bikes when I got home. I haven't had a need to track speed or miles in 15 years. My cell phone is turned off and stowed in the saddle bag when riding.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 06-18-20, 02:18 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,535 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
The original battery in the computer on my then new Cross Check went dead on the 2nd day of an 8 day tour. It made the rest of the week so much more relaxing that I took them off my other bikes when I got home. I haven't had a need to track speed or miles in 15 years. My cell phone is turned off and stowed in the saddle bag when riding.
Heh. The battery of my CatEye started to die on the first day of a two-week tour last year. By the next morning it was dead. I didn’t have any real complicated navigation, but it would have been nice to have the clock function. I had a few two-day stretches without access to power and no cell service so I had to keep the phone off a lot. My road bike computer died a year or two ago. Never replaced it.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-18-20 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-18-20, 02:37 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Heh, to me "bike computer" still means my Cateye Astrale. I like it, I have cadence and time displayed, check the other numbers when I get home, then promptly forget them.

I admit that it was a freeing experience to ride without one when my wiring harness broke one time and I was waiting for a new one to arrive. But it is nice to keep an eye on cadence so I don't toast my legs, and it is nice to have ride time displayed so I'm reminded to drink and that it is time to head home.

If you're into serious training, probably more data is a good thing.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 06-19-20, 03:42 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
i dont care of people know or dont know , i use the garmin to navigate and record my ride , no one is tracking me in real time !
Old 06-19-20, 03:45 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Tell me again, which phone not only allows 14 hours of screen-on-time...but will not suffer image permanence, AKA burn-in, from doing so?

Which phone will survive a bike crash on the handlebars, and not have a shattered digitizer?
what cycling computer with NAV and REC can do 14 hours , not the garmin 520 , maybe the wahoo roam or garm 1080 , and how much do those cost , i still have to bring my nattery charger with me and run a cord from my backpack /pocket /or elastic band it to the my mounted flashlight , i can get more than 14 with a 30 dollar phone and couple bat banks !!!!
Old 06-19-20, 03:52 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by GeneO
Well my phone can't monitor my HRM, Cadence sensor, DI2 stats and battery and mode selection, nor control my light and my light modes and its battery status. It also can't feed into Garmin connect and Strava directly, nor send a livetrack of where I am to my wife or notify her automatically if an accident occurs (although these latter two item require a phone as a relay). So I'd say that is a lot of functionality that a computer provides that a phone can't. So if you do not need any of that, that's fine, but your rant is pointless.
wait what ? you need your garmin connected to the phone to do live track buddy , strava cant do heart rate , but other programs can , like ride with gps or whaoo training app , you need internet to use garmin app , so once again the phone would render the garmin useless for the casual to above average rider !
Old 06-19-20, 03:53 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by GlennR
My wife has no bike computer and leaves her phone at home when she rides.

So she doesn't even need your $30 android phone.

So what's your point?
you are a terrible husband if you let your loved one go out cycling without a way to call for help , i think she should file for divorce , you clearly dont care !
Old 06-19-20, 03:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,535 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
what cycling computer with NAV and REC can do 14 hours , not the garmin 520 , maybe the wahoo roam or garm 1080 , and how much do those cost , i still have to bring my nattery charger with me and run a cord from my backpack /pocket /or elastic band it to the my mounted flashlight , i can get more than 14 with a 30 dollar phone and couple bat banks !!!!
Personally, I don’t care what others use, but it’s obvious that your mind is firmly made up, so I don’t understand the real point of this thread.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-19-20, 03:54 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
A GPS would be more likely to survive being bumped off that freshly painted aluminum bike of yours. Just curious do you have a Trek 720 with a 920 rack?
no
Old 06-19-20, 04:01 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
A 30 dollar android phone runs out of battery on long rides, isn't visible in bright sunlight, is unusable for navigation in the rain with water registering as touches, and doesn't have water sources as points of interest for navigation.

A refurbished Garmin Edge 800 wins every time.

Which is much longer than a phone running navigation software, especially with the screen turned on.
plastic bag and some rubber bands plus a water resistant case , battery packs to extend battery life ! i once road 80 miles back from a race through rolling hills in an april downpour , my phone couldnt get a full gps signal and i was just following the same line a garmin displays , i usually like turn by turn in my ear buds , now if you are going on a real ride around 8 hours id love to see the garmin actually last , and how much does the 800 cost compared to basic phone , box of bags , 80 cent bag of elastics , 10 to 25 dollar battery pack , again if i have to charge my garmin 520 than whats the point , the charge port is on the bottom making it even harder than a phone ;D
one more not how much map data can you load , and how many routes can you store on garmin 800s , i can download the entire united states and navigate without mobile internet service !

Last edited by Toespeas; 06-19-20 at 04:04 AM.
Old 06-19-20, 04:06 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm old school--I ride with one of these strapped to my handlebars:

beep boop bop beep boo !
Old 06-19-20, 04:08 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I'm still scratching my head over Strava not doing heart rate. I have a free account, and I can record heart rate on Strava. Apparently OP has an equipment problem and is blaming Strava instead of figuring out why he's not sending HR data.

Smart phones do the same job recording your route, but they sure use batteries faster. And of course they require an account with data. I'm a dinosaur and don't have a personal cell phone. That would cost money every month.
strava doesnt do heart rate on the app anymore , i dont use my talk phone as the bike phone !
Old 06-19-20, 04:11 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by Metieval
the 520 compared to the 500 has a FAIL battery life!

and Garmin really skimps on memory, I am sure it is intentional.

I used the Turn by Turn bread crumbs once on the 520, and I'll never do it again it was a day late and a dollar short. So I reverted back to the ride 3.6 miles turn L , ride 5.8 miles and turn right. cue sheets

I quit buying Garmin chest HR straps after the 4th one. Interesting enough the one that never got washed lasted the longest. So now I ride without a HR meter. $120 in HR straps... not worth it.

So I hear you!

I mean I can get an out front mounted non GPS Cateye for like $60, that is accurate as accurate as you measure your tires circumference. As for recording, a phone can do that with the screen off and it doesn't take much battery if you are not using the screen.

Garmin has some seriously lousy integrity and ethics as a business. its Always been about leaving the customers a dollar short, and wanting.... while they continue to roll out new models that continuously leave customers a dollar short. It's planned residual income. Cyclist are stupid enough to keep throwing Garmin moneythough. Of Course Garmin has one hell of a shill in their pocket pushing their products.

I am still Miffed that my 500 was fine one day, Garmin drops a 510 on the market, gives my 500 one last update, and it starts malfunctioning the very next ride. I erased it reinstalled all of the old software builds to no luck with any of them. Lesson learned if your electronic stuff works, DO NOT UPDATE!!!!!!
when i use my phone for nav on 100 plus mile rides i have ear buds and an my nav app does turn by turn in my ear i dont even have to look at the screen , everyone assumes and they have no clue how to really utilize these cheats , bikeforums is hilarious , i can have navigation , recording , and music , and coms , for less than half the price of my garmin 520 thats why i wrote this post
Likes For Toespeas:
Old 06-19-20, 04:15 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
No ANT+ on a smart phone, and that’s a deal breaker for a lot of my older sensors and HRMs.

Also the bike computer will work under more extreme temperatures and weather, as most smart phones will start to overheat and shutdown at around 95’F, which is easy to do if it is sitting in the sun on your handlebars on a hot day. The Garmin edge has an operating temperature of 140’F, which is way past mine. The same is true at the low temperature end as well where a smart phone ‘gives up’ around 32F while most bike computers operate at far lower temperatures.

Phones are just not made to sit out in difficult environments like on handlebars for a long period.

But to each his own I suppose.
i have been on many 100 plus mile rides on the hottest days with my phone mounted on my top tube taking every vibration , but of course i have broken a few phones doing cycling and non cycling activities , also any android phone can run ant+ you just down load the app !
Old 06-19-20, 04:20 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
My GPS isnt meant to play music, thats why it doesnt play music.

I have a $150 Lezyne GPS and this is year 4 of using it.
- I use it every ride just to record total miles because I like to track that stat for the year. It holds something like 100 rides, so I can then upload when I want.
- On solo rides I like to look at my average speed, total climb, and distance ridden- these are easily recorded with the GPS unit.
- I use the navigation probably 3x per month. Not often, but its because even though I ride different routes most every time Im on my own, I know what links up with what.
- When I use the route function, I create a route then save it. The route goes to my GPS and I follow it thru written prompts and drawn line. Its dead simple. In the thousands of miles Ive ridden, I have not come across a need for an SD card or expanded storage.
- My phone stays in a jersey pocket. It does not have the battery life of my GPS unit and I can save the phone battery for when I want to use it.

Your situation seems to be much different than mine when it comes to GPS units. I would say that I have easily gotten my money's worth over these last 4 years.
Perhaps a GPS unit isnt for you. Not everyone wants a road bike, some instead need that 3 wheeled trike thing with a basket I used to ride around my grandma's community in Florida.
ok so today or yesterday what ever i had to do an 80 miles ride to pick up a new phone someone was selling , both my garmin and my phone nav routed me down a mountain bike trail , i was not on a bike that could handle the trail , so i had use my phone which holds over a gigabyte of offline map data to go around , otherwise i would have been riding blind , the garmin just doesn't have enough function to justify the 160 bucks i paid for it , some of these units are going for 200 plus , so for me when im trying to navigate long distances mostly on the road , the phone is a way better choice !
Old 06-19-20, 04:22 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I've found that I do just fine with my phone and a small battery charger, and that my phones have survived multiple mishaps including getting hit by a car and just plain getting dropped on the road. I feel I have to carry my phone anyway for various reasons having little to do with bicycling, so I don't want to add another device.

I can't for the life of me imagine wanting to pick an argument with someone who likes and/or needs their GPS--I don't care what they think I need, and I have no idea what they do or do not need so why should they care about what I think on the subject?

This is like someone chose as a debate topic: "Resolved: Starkist is Superior to Chicken of the Sea."
change my mind , is a meme statement that can be applied to anything !
Likes For Toespeas:
Old 06-19-20, 04:28 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by Ross520
You bought the cheaper, outdated model, the 530 is far better in every category. And I can promise that you the GPS chip in that $30 phone isn't even close to as accurate as the Garmin's. I have never lost a signal with my Garmin, which happened sometimes when I used my phone (premium phone too, not a throw-away).

It's also won't withstand cold/heat/water/shock very well, won't read clearly in direct sunlight, and won't connect with ANT+devices. Another benefit is that you won't destroy in a crash, and it's lighter and more aerodynamic than a bulky phone as well. Sure I'm leaving some things out too.

All the bad reviews on the 520 is what lead to purchase the 30, it's a vastly better device than its predecessor.
250 to 300 bucks for a 530 that still doesn't have the functionality of a 30 dollar phone !
you can see a phone screen just fine in any light unless you have eye problems !
you can download ant plus app i have it on multiple phones and connect to my smart trainer through it many a time!
if im not racing and im out for a training ride or big adventure type ride which i do in the hottest of days and sometime the coldest , my phone works fine !
i dont drop my phone li9ke i dont drop my garmin or anything , dont drop t , dont crash , its simple !
all your points are neutralized , maybe the garmin has a more accurate gps chip , there are phones with equal like the galaxy s7
Old 06-19-20, 04:29 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by ddeand
And once again, the OP tosses out a bone and watches everyone scrap for it. Yes, the discussion of whether to use a computer of some sort may be interesting, but “Change my mind”? Go away.
change my mind is a meme phrase , its a discussion you are more than welcome to delete yourself from the convo !
Old 06-19-20, 04:32 AM
Toespeas

Originally Posted by bruce19
For me bike computers like a Cateye are worthless. A PITA to set up. I use a basic Garmin and upload the data to Strava so I can compare my rides/segments to previous months and years. Also keeps track of my total miles.
i mean thats great and all , but what if you need multiple states worth of offline map data , on the fly navigation , turn by turn in your ear so you dont even have to look at a screen , and some rocking tunes to smash out to , as well as the ability to call for help ( one time i saw the most gruesome motorcycle crash , bodies , blood , fire , smoke , i simply dialed 911 and helped get the EMS there )
Old 06-19-20, 04:58 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
i mean thats great and all , but what if you need multiple states worth of offline map data , on the fly navigation , turn by turn in your ear so you dont even have to look at a screen , and some rocking tunes to smash out to , as well as the ability to call for help ( one time i saw the most gruesome motorcycle crash , bodies , blood , fire , smoke , i simply dialed 911 and helped get the EMS there )
I've never known of a bike computer like a Cateye that does any of that.
Old 06-19-20, 05:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
change my mind , is a meme statement that can be applied to anything !

So? It's still a stupid debate topic.

Like I said above, I have workarounds that make the phone adequate for rides over 150 miles. But I understand that those workarounds are not appropriate for everyone. Basically, your argument is some people saying "x is worth it to me" and you saying "no it's not.".

And quit insulting people unless you want to get banned. You haven't insulted me yet, but you've been pretty nasty to several posters on this thread.
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.