Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is there a quick, easy way to wash a bike??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is there a quick, easy way to wash a bike??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-20, 10:28 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Chemical sprayer. I use it all the time

First thought seeing that in this thread is "Roundup is a terrible way to clean a bicycle," then remembering that you don't need to always use one of these for poison.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 07-29-20, 10:45 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
First thought seeing that in this thread is "Roundup is a terrible way to clean a bicycle," then remembering that you don't need to always use one of these for poison.
There was a chain lube thread last year where the OP posted he was using spray canola oil along with an image and I still laugh out loud thinking of it. Nobody really questioned the obvious troll

No trolling in this case though, the sprayer works great! I'll fill it with just hot tap water, and it's nimble and powerful. Makes cleaning the drivetrain a breeze, it's powerful enough to blast away grime on the jocky wheels, chain, cassette and chain rings.
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 07-29-20, 10:55 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The GCN guys did a test with a power washer where then directed the spray right at the bearings for 5 minutes and saw no penetration.
GCN is to be taken with grain of salt.. Personally I would never use high pressure spray around the bearings. High pressure wash is a great way to shorten the lifespan of the bearings.
Old 07-29-20, 11:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
There was a chain lube thread last year where the OP posted he was using spray canola oil along with an image and I still laugh out loud thinking of it. Nobody really questioned the obvious troll
Link to thread?
Old 07-29-20, 11:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
First thought seeing that in this thread is "Roundup is a terrible way to clean a bicycle,"
But just think of the large cash settlement you might be eligible for. Could buy a lot of bikes with it.
Old 07-29-20, 11:48 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Link to thread?
Found it!

Wgscott called it out on post #34 .
Old 07-29-20, 12:30 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
My favorite technique is the Pactour "1-minute" bike wash:

OK, with the chain lube, it takes closer to 5 minutes. Requirements include:
Chain lube
rag
bucket
Dawn
brush(es)
water

OP, you or your wife can run upstairs and bring everything down to the parking lot.
Old 07-29-20, 12:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by trainchaser
...like the title asks, is there a fast and easy way to wash a bike? My wife has a Trek Marlin and has been riding several times a week on a bike path that has a section that is compact dirt, the rest is all paved or compact gravel. Because its been so dry the compact dirt section is coating her bike with dust, it's very fine dust that has gotten into everything. We looked up washing your bike and had a good laugh. We live in an apartment so no bike stand, no place to hose it down, wash it, rinse it, all using multiple buckets, multiple brushes, bike polish, chain washers, etc, etc.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful, thanks.
Pay someone to do it for you...
Old 07-29-20, 12:58 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
GCN is to be taken with grain of salt.. Personally I would never use high pressure spray around the bearings. High pressure wash is a great way to shorten the lifespan of the bearings.
I've been doing it for decades. Even with loose bearings, it has never penetrated into them. Every bike I own now (and for about the last 20 years) has cartridge bearings and not a one of them has experienced a shorten lifespan. I've only ever replaced cartridge bearings on 3 bikes and I've been using them since 1985. I'm not too worried about bearing lifespan.

I wouldn't put the nozzle right at the bearing and spray but the pressure reduces very quickly after the water leaves the nozzle. It's not really an issue but using a car wash is quick and easy.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-30-20, 10:19 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
If in doubt, the car wash usually has a low pressure setting. For those sensitive areas.
Old 07-30-20, 11:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
What is so hard about wiping a bike off with a damp rag?
Likes For rydabent:
Old 07-30-20, 12:19 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by rydabent
What is so hard about wiping a bike off with a damp rag?
Lots of times a “damp rag”, just don’t cut it. Ridin’ through the herd is just one of those times

DSCN1270 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-30-20, 12:23 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Old 07-30-20, 12:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
A sponge, a small bucket of soapy water, and a big bucket of straight water. BUT, this is just for getting rid of the dust and sweat. Probably won't remove the lube from your chain, but also won't remove the dirt from your chain, either. So it's mostly just cosmetic and you'll want to figure a way to do a real wash.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-31-20, 01:08 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
...like the title asks, is there a fast and easy way to wash a bike? My wife has a Trek Marlin and has been riding several times a week on a bike path that has a section that is compact dirt, the rest is all paved or compact gravel. Because its been so dry the compact dirt section is coating her bike with dust, it's very fine dust that has gotten into everything. We looked up washing your bike and had a good laugh. We live in an apartment so no bike stand, no place to hose it down, wash it, rinse it, all using multiple buckets, multiple brushes, bike polish, chain washers, etc, etc.
hmmmmmm, you could get a large spray tank , fill a bucket in the shower . add dish soap or what ever soap you like , take it out side and get a soft bristle brush for the frame and a hard bristle brush for the drive train .

i personally run sram chains so i can just take the chain off , and soak it in gasoline or lamp oil for a full chain clean, you can just use old bottles and throw the excess away or bring it to a disposable place if you are eco lunatics , for on bike drive train clean spray it with the cheap wd40 lube and scrub the cassette and chain with a hard brush using the ratchet motion of hub then use a rag and spin the crank until the black comes off . RELUBE WITH WAX !!!!!! i use parafin wax most of the time , slow heated over the stove in some tins !

you could just go to the car wash every two weeks and use those hoses .

for polish just use organic coconut oil and a soft rag , and it will take off any dirt , but it will collect some dust !
Old 08-01-20, 05:45 AM
CGLTD

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
no quick method for a good wash.
It's a bicycle! Everything about cleaning it is quick.

A lot of good suggestions here. I would just get a couple of buckets with soap in one and take it outside. A chain cleaner like the one from Park Tool us good to have. Don't forget to lubricate the chain!
Old 08-01-20, 05:53 AM
CGLTD

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just saw THIS in my email.

Old 08-01-20, 06:06 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
I was in the same situation. I went to a self service car wash with a bucket of water, sponge, and chain cleaner. I did the dirty stuff in the parking lot with the bike on the rack (long line of cars), then pulled into the wash bay to hose it all down (rinse setting, not jet spray). Worked fine.
Old 08-01-20, 07:41 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
When I lived in an apartment with a similar situation, before coming inside I’d knock of the big chunks that might come loose on the way in, then put something down on the floor under the bike where I kept it in the apartment.

Every so often I’d wash it off outside with a bucket, but only when it got bad.

I just lived with a dirty bike. As long as the dirt stayed on the bike, I did not see a real problem with it.

I am of the school of thought that from a mechanical perspective, washing a bike usually accomplishes nothing. As long as the chain (and rings and cassette) are OK, everything else is fine.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-03-20, 11:11 AM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
One local off-road rider used a pressure washer. It was quick, easy, and very, very bad for the bearings.
Old 08-03-20, 01:24 PM
StillBiking@71

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Trek Singletrak, Cannondale 500, 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Baby Wipes

I haven't used them myself, but I have heard that Baby Wipes are great way to clean your bike without making a mess.
Old 08-03-20, 02:05 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by TricycleTomGHY
One local off-road rider used a pressure washer. It was quick, easy, and very, very bad for the bearings.
They must have been very old bearings or very bad ones. I’ve been pressure washing bikes since the 80s and never had any problem with water infiltration.

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I am of the school of thought that from a mechanical perspective, washing a bike usually accomplishes nothing. As long as the chain (and rings and cassette) are OK, everything else is fine.
We may not agree on much but I agree with you here. This obsession with making sure a bike doesn’t have a speck of dirt on it is silly. Bikes are meant to be ridden. A dirty bike is a bike that gets ridden.

Old 08-03-20, 02:27 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
We may not agree on much but I agree with you here. This obsession with making sure a bike doesn’t have a speck of dirt on it is silly. Bikes are meant to be ridden. A dirty bike is a bike that gets ridden.
Road bike should be clean, but mountain bikes should be dirty.

I clean my bike every week which is about 150 miles. I do it for multiple reasons:
1) I find problems before breaking down
2) a clean drivetrain lasts longer. I have 26,000 miles on a Sram Red cassette and at $400 to replace i'm way ahead of the game.
3) a well maintained bike simple performs better
4) personal pride, just like you don't wear dirty cloths when you're out in public.
Old 08-03-20, 02:52 PM
MilfordJohn

Bikes: Surly LHT, Soma Saga, Bike Friday NWT, Specialized Roubaix SL4, Brompton P6R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Buy yourself a ParkTool foldable bike stand, take your bike and the stand out to a parking lot or other open space, and follow the instructions on the below YouTube video. This has worked like a charm for me since 2015.

Old 08-03-20, 02:54 PM
cometphoton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put down cardboard, have bike parked ontop of cardboard. Mix up a spray bottle of alcohol and water 50% add a few drops of dishwashing fluid.
Shake the mix bottle with the alcohol and spray where you want to clean. Wipe with a rag, then rinse the rag in a bucket of warm water. Continue the process until completed. I hope this helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.