Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I find it amazing what advertising can condition people to accept

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I find it amazing what advertising can condition people to accept

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 10:14 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Some people don't adjust well to changing technology, especially when their favorite technology gets left behind.
I assume then you have embraced disc brakes instead of rim brakes?
Old 08-20-20, 10:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by BoraxKid
Let's see:
  • claiming older technology is better than anything new
  • claiming "no point" to new tech, while remaining completely ignorant to how new tech was created
  • completely ignorant of why there is demand for new tech
  • included mandatory xenophobic rant about "Chinese" manufacturing (while typing on a device that no doubt contains components made in China)
  • included mandatory derision towards "advertising"
  • implies self-superiority (because surely OP hasn't been "led by the nose" by those insidious "advertisers" right?)

okay, that's it. I scored a BOOMER BINGO!

where do I redeem my card?
A couple of things. You seem to be very young, and dont appreciate the beauty and strength of lugged frames.

And calling me xenophobic simply for mentioning where 90%+ frame are made in modern day childish brainwashing.
Old 08-20-20, 10:22 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I assume then you have embraced disc brakes instead of rim brakes?
I have both, but the last frame I purchased uses rim brakes. What's the point?
Old 08-20-20, 10:27 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Trakhak
FYI, lugged construction was originally introduced as a cheap workaround, to cut down on the costs of accurate mitering of tubes and of training of skilled workers.
But then more and more mfg went to highly accurate mitered tubes and strong and beautiful lugged frames.

Pondering this thread as I write, it occurs to me that a poorly brazed lugged joint would gradually fail as it came apart. Where as a butt weld breaking will put you on the ground immediately.
Old 08-20-20, 10:31 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
There is more than one way to skin a cat. Thats what all this comes down to.

What you like in a bicycle is different from what others like in a bicycle. I have many lugged frames and have lost count as to the number Ive owned, but I am able to see the inherent limitations in a lugged frame- its angles. Mountain bikes pushed lugless construction because the ideal geometries werent readily available in lugs and welding became more popular(as well as fillet brazing since Ritchey was the first for MTBs).
The removal of lugs has allowed for more than straight lines in frame construction. It has allowed for more than just circles in tube shapes.

Its ironic that someone named 'rydabent' is complaining that frames arent lugged anymore. The very style bike you named yourself after is built using welding.

As for carbon layup, Im not getting into your $.40/hour rant. Cite examples when it comes to pay and whatnot or dont get specific with numbers.
Do you really thing the chinese frame building sweat shops pay their people $15 to $25 per hour. If they did most America name brand bikes would be built her in the US.
Old 08-20-20, 10:34 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by vespasianus
You are surprised that advertising works?
No not at all. But some of us can see thru it and make wise decisions on our own.

My favorite BTW was the fool telling us on TV that some brand of instant coffee tasted just as good as fresh perked.
Old 08-20-20, 10:36 AM
rydabent
Banned

[QUOTE=GlennR;21649538]Have you ever seen the workmanship that goes into a Seven bicycle?

The welds are a work of art.

[/QUOTE As some one that can weld, yes they are. But why not post along side a picture of a frame set with beautiful scroll work brazed lugs.
Old 08-20-20, 10:39 AM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by crankholio
I think one has to examine the motive behind the change. For instance, when the safety razor was offered as an alternative to the straight razor, it wasn't a bad idea. Far less likely to accidentally have your neck sliced open when your 90lb dog enthusiastically jumps on you because you forgot to lock the bathroom door. Then they had the 2-blade razors and 3-blade razors, like the Mach 3. Still a pretty good idea...closer shave, less passes. And then they added a 4th blade...and eventually a 5th blade. They may have 6 or 7 blades on razor heads now for all I know. And I bring this up because I see the same thing happening with bicycle drive trains.

Gears were a great idea. 7...8...even 9 cogs in the back. Sure. Then 10, then 11, then 12...maybe they have 20 in the rear now? I don't look at new bikes too often. But at some point, **** gets ridiculous and offers little practical benefit.
Oh wow, if you don't think more than 9 gears are necessary, then please don't look up the Nuvinci hub...
Old 08-20-20, 10:41 AM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
A couple of things. You seem to be very young, and dont appreciate the beauty and strength of lugged frames.

And calling me xenophobic simply for mentioning where 90%+ frame are made in modern day childish brainwashing.
big oof.
Old 08-20-20, 10:43 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Maelochs
One thing the OP entirely misses is that "advertisers" (spawns of the devil) have convinced us that we don't need to ride 40-pound bikes. So they started making bikes out of Aluminum, can you believe it? And aluminum tubes, can be welded without lugs and have the same strength as a lugged steel frame of similar quality--while weighing less---like weight matters.

Obviously we need lugged steel frames---we NEED them. Nobody can safely ride a bike which doesn't have one. And all those people who have butt-welded Al frames which you have been riding for a decade or more---you have been FOOLED by Advertising. idiots!!

Oh, and the people riding custom steel which has been fillet-brazed, and is much lighter and stronger than almost all the mass-produced lugged frames which the OP so rightly thins are heaven-sent---you are idiots. Your lightweight high-performance frames with invisible joints are actually crap---Not the work of highly skilled craftsmen. Those people who can fillet-weld very thing steel tubes are real ROBOTS. Brazing thin-walled steel tubing so that the finished product is stronger and lighter than a comparable lugged frame is so easy even a robot could do it. it doesn't involve half a lifetime of learning.

Rydabent, you have tried twice with "11 speeds are better than 22" and now this. And you have succeeded masterfully. These are the subtlest h and most humorous posts I have read on Bikeforums. I am not surprised that everyone thought you were serious about these topics---your crafting is masterful, like unto a genius with a torch welding thin steel tubes. I bow down in honor of your talent.
May I add here the advantage of being old gives you the advantage of knowledge and experience. My first good bike bought at a bike shop 50 years ago was a lugged frame bike It did not weigh 40 pounds, it was more like 25.

Last edited by rydabent; 08-20-20 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-20-20, 10:45 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
As some one that can weld, yes they are. But why not post along side a picture of a frame set with beautiful scroll work brazed lugs.
Ever hear of Jamie Swan? He's a local bike builder and his bikes are each custom and amazing.

www.jamieswan.net/

Bikeville thoughts: Orange Jamie Swan bicycle

Old 08-20-20, 10:48 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
rydabent : Here's another modern innovation you might want to look into: It's called "Multi Quote."
Old 08-20-20, 10:57 AM
rydabent
Banned

He is arguing that he liked being young, and things have changed, so rather than accepting that he is old now, he has decided to attack everything which has changed since he was young and "happy."

Except that in my experience, people who aren't happy when they are old didn't appreciate life when they were younger, either.

I am pretty old---not Rydabent old, but pretty old. I have learned that life is a one-way trip that gets shorter every day, and the slope gets steeper every day as the mind and body get weaker.

I am learning that I need to accept this, and adapt. And I have learned that not taking most things quite so seriously is a good start. If I go out to ride and my bike has a flat, no problem. At least I am still continent and ambulatory. And when I am no longer ... I will wheel around in my Depends in my wheelchair and try to enjoy what i can on that day.

I think Rydabent must have learned all this long ago---which is why he posts these subtly ironic and very humorous posts about how "everything was better back in the old days .... "

Yeah ... there is no way a man of his wisdom and experience could take these poss seriously .....
But see there again is where you go wrong. I ponder and evaluate any and all "advancements", and make my own judgement free of advertising hype. I have been among other things a mechanical technician all my life. Reading this forum, you should know that I have been one of the leading proponents of disc brakes. In the 80s I immediately embraced click shifting. And of course I embraced recumbent bikes and trikes for their comfort and safety. Advancements truly need to be better, not just change for change sake, or to put more money into some people's pockets.
Old 08-20-20, 10:57 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Koyote
rydabent : Here's another modern innovation you might want to look into: It's called "Multi Quote."
Multi Quote doesn't work well with DOS and a dial-up modem.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-20-20, 11:00 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
people in advertising are good. they get us to do and buy all sorts of things. that's their job
Sadly among other things that advertising touted were some drugs. Then after a while they turned out to be cancer causing.

Again it always boils down to money.

Last edited by rydabent; 08-20-20 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-20-20, 11:02 AM
tomato coupe

But see there again is where you go wrong. I ponder and evaluate any and all "advancements", and make my own judgement free of advertising hype. I have been among other things a mechanical technician all my life. Reading this forum, you should know that I have been one of the leading proponents of disc brakes. In the 80s I immediately embraced click shifting. And of course I embraced recumbent bikes and trikes for their comfort and safety. Advancements truly need to be better, not just change for change sake, or to put more money into some people's pockets.
In other words, changes that you like are valid advancements, but anything else is just advertising hype.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-20-20, 11:03 AM
rydabent
Banned

I think this post could make more sense to the poster if he thought about it more.

Personally, I have 7,9,10, and 11-speed cassettes. I find I can shift into a more appropriate gear more often when I have a better selection of gears.
My bike is a 9 speed (27) and my trike is an 8 speed (24). I really dont notice much difference at all. I mainly ride in the center ring up front and just shift across the rear cassette as feel dictates.

Last edited by rydabent; 08-20-20 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-20-20, 11:05 AM
rydabent
Banned

Oh, and Mr. Ryda .... grats for keeping at it for so long. I may poke fun at you, but you have been doing your thing here and on to recumbents for a long time and I respect that.

Go on, bro ... . give those clouds a hard time.
Thanks--------------------I kinda like to keep up my end of the discussion. Remember age and experience does give me somewhat of an advantage.
Old 08-20-20, 11:07 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
So your trike is lugged and brazed?
No neither my LWB bent or trike is lugged.
Old 08-20-20, 11:10 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Do you really thing the chinese frame building sweat shops pay their people $15 to $25 per hour. If they did most America name brand bikes would be built her in the US.
You know your 'bent was made in Taiwan, right? Just because a company is based in the US, doesn't mean their stuff is MADE in the US.

Love my plastic bikes, with disc brakes and electronic shifting.
Old 08-20-20, 11:12 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
people in advertising are good. they get us to do and buy all sorts of things. that's their job

Advertising - I can't not think of the current Big Pharma push. Thank goodness they have to state possible side effects in ads, not buried in the small print. When a possible side effect is Death, i wonder about the ethics of unregulated "advertising". Much of it is informative, some of it is BS and lies.

As it relates to bicycles advertising drives markets. A good thing. People want to believe that newer is better, safer and more pleasurable. The truth is the rider's skills and his/her engine is responsible for 95+% of the performance and safety - not a slightly lighter frame, or oval crankset, or carbon wheels, or those nearly flat 42mm 'road' tires, or lights or Garmins or Strava accounts. Advertising drives purchasing and we are a consumer economy, #1 in the world at buying whatever we are told is 'better'..

But don't listen to me, trust your advertiser.
Old 08-20-20, 11:14 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Multi Quote doesn't work well with DOS and a dial-up modem.
Golly------------you know about DOS and dial-up modems?
Old 08-20-20, 11:16 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
You know your 'bent was made in Taiwan, right? Just because a company is based in the US, doesn't mean their stuff is MADE in the US.

Love my plastic bikes, with disc brakes and electronic shifting.
Yes Taiwan. I consider anything from Taiwan to be of better quality than from main land China.
Old 08-20-20, 11:19 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Advertising - I can't not think of the current Big Pharma push. Thank goodness they have to state possible side effects in ads, not buried in the small print. When a possible side effect is Death, i wonder about the ethics of unregulated "advertising". Much of it is informative, some of it is BS and lies.

As it relates to bicycles advertising drives markets. A good thing. People want to believe that newer is better, safer and more pleasurable. The truth is the rider's skills and his/her engine is responsible for 95+% of the performance and safety - not a slightly lighter frame, or oval crankset, or carbon wheels, or those nearly flat 42mm 'road' tires, or lights or Garmins or Strava accounts. Advertising drives purchasing and we are a consumer economy, #1 in the world at buying whatever we are told is 'better'..

But don't listen to me, trust your advertiser.
One thing I have some problem with is "newer is better". How about old houses that were built out of real 2x4s not the small board that pass for 2x4s these days.

Last edited by rydabent; 08-20-20 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-20-20, 11:21 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
My bike is a 9 speed (27) and my trike is an 8 speed (24). I really dont notice much difference at all. I mainly ride in the center ring up front and just shift across the rear cassette as fee dictates.
Seems like you're an ideal candidate for one of those new-fangled 1x drivetrains.
Likes For Koyote:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.