Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Outdoor wall mount bike cover

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-20, 11:37 AM
afcor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey all. I just moved into a new house, in which I do not want to store a bike. I have a small back yard, with wood fences. I have an idea of getting a wall mount, installing a ring near it, and locking the bike there. The next problem, though, is covering the bike. Is there such a thing as a bike cover with a slot on the back for a hook or something? I've poked around online and don't see anything that would obviously work, outside of cutting a hole and affixing velcro or something to close it up, at which point it would no longer be water-proof... Ideas?
Old 08-30-20, 11:52 AM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by afcor
Hey all. I just moved into a new house, in which I do not want to store a bike. I have a small back yard, with wood fences. I have an idea of getting a wall mount, installing a ring near it, and locking the bike there. The next problem, though, is covering the bike. Is there such a thing as a bike cover with a slot on the back for a hook or something? I've poked around online and don't see anything that would obviously work, outside of cutting a hole and affixing velcro or something to close it up, at which point it would no longer be water-proof... Ideas?
Outdoor bike storage.

https://www.google.com/search?q=outd...w=1440&bih=801

Take your pick
Old 08-30-20, 11:56 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I googled “outdoor bicycle storage” and came up with lots of options. Links are below. But personally, i would frame and enclose/weatherproof a box for it that is attached to the fence, with a hasp for locking it.

https://www.hammacher.com/product/po...xoCDukQAvD_BwE

https://yardstash.com/all/storage-te...RoCMWYQAvD_BwE

https://storables.com/storage-ideas/...-shed-options/
Old 08-30-20, 12:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Hire one sewn?
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-30-20, 01:15 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...ption=51766967

A guy down the street has this set up. Only has a 1 car garage and two cars and 2 kid so yeah, storage is an issue. He got this and likes it.
Old 08-30-20, 05:14 PM
afcor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob the Mech
Outdoor bike storage.

https://www.google.com/search?q=outd...w=1440&bih=801

Take your pick
I already have a YardStash. I want something smaller, less junky, and maybe off the ground...
Old 08-31-20, 06:35 AM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by afcor
I already have a YardStash. I want something smaller, less junky, and maybe off the ground...
How handy are you with wood working and joinery. Take a wooden Yard Stash, break it down to its component parts, cut down to fit your dimensional requirements, reassemble, masonry bolts to mount it on a convenient wall. Add support brackets to support the weight as it's off the ground from underneath.
Old 08-31-20, 07:31 AM
afcor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not handy, nor do I have any woodworking tools. Also, the YardStash is just fabric...

I guess my takeaway here is that there is no existing, commercial bike cover that is designed to work with a wall mounted bike...

Thanks all for your input!
Likes For afcor: