Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Internal Frame Cable routing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-20, 11:03 AM
dvizz

Bikes: Wilier GTR SL, Wilier Jena Hybrid ebike, Cannondale Scalpel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm getting ready to remove the front and rear derailleur cable end caps to pull cables back for installation through a new frame. I would like to keep cable ends from fraying while reinstalling, passing them through cable housing and frame downtube. I am considering super glue or wrapping the ends tightly in clear tape. What works best.
Old 12-12-20, 11:06 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Not worth the effort. New cables are not that expensive. Roger
Likes For rhenning:
Old 12-12-20, 11:34 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
super glue 'might' work, but tape won't fit through the housing. To echo rhenning, if pushing the cables through results
in fraying/unraveling use the old RD cable for the FD and get a new RD cable. Old RD cable unlikely to unravel enough to
be too short to cutoff the bad part at the FD. OTOH if cables are a few years old better replace as the normal failure is
within the brifter, which is the worst place for a cable to fray/break.
Old 12-12-20, 11:53 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
if pushing the cables through results
in fraying/unraveling use the old RD cable for the FD and get a new RD cable.
This is what I do. If cutting off the end of the rear derailleur cable makes it too short, it now becomes a front cable.
Old 12-12-20, 08:37 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
No no no. Use new cables AND housing. Do not cheap out on this, it makes no sense.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-13-20, 06:57 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I tried the super glue thing once. It worked. Have not tried it again.
Old 12-13-20, 07:28 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
If you are doing something like moving shifters that have new cables to a different bike tape will not work, super glue can work.
Old 12-13-20, 07:40 PM
dvizz

Bikes: Wilier GTR SL, Wilier Jena Hybrid ebike, Cannondale Scalpel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate trying to route the new cables through the Campagnolo Ultra Shift shifters . There's a tough bend positioning the cable end to come out of the housing and into the opening where the cable housing accepts the cable. I'm going to order a new RD cable and see if I can re use the existing cables first using super glue.
Old 12-13-20, 07:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Sometimes routing cables sucks but when building a new bike it is always good to start with fresh cables and housing to get the best out of the bike. Buy less coffee or one less CD from Columbia House or something like that, don't cheap out on cables and housing.
Old 12-13-20, 08:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Internal routing? Housing liner slid over the inner cable before the cable is pulled from the frame is a big friend. If you can't slide the inner end into the liner due to fraying then replace the inner. Andy
Old 12-14-20, 02:04 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I usually just use the old housing to fish the new housing through the frame. I first cut off any ferrules from the ends of the old housing then I tape the end of the old and new housing together using a good strong duct tape then I pull it through the frame by carefully pulling the old cable while pushing the new cable.
Likes For ARider2:
Old 12-15-20, 01:36 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...heatshrink tubing (the stuff electricians use) is your friend. Works very well to join the end of the old cable and the new one for the pull. But I have never tried to get it to go through outer housing, and suspect it won't work for that. My pulls have always been for internally routed cables where the housing ends at the internal frame insertion.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 12-16-20, 02:59 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Unless it's some sort of emergency, I never re-use cables that have been pulled out (except for sometimes converting a cable from R to F duty). As others have said, cables have a finite life, are not expensive, can be a pain to reinstall, and if they fail they are likely to cause other problems.
Old 12-17-20, 04:53 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
...cables have a finite life, are not expensive, ...
Expensive is of course a relative term, and so everything I take off a bike is evaluated for future use
Likes For Geepig:
Old 12-17-20, 06:41 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I once paid $30 for a full set of Campagnolo cables. I thought it was too much but the bike it was going on was worth it to me. Best cables I have run into with nearly no perceptible resistance. Would buy them again for the other bike that is all Campy. Wait... all the road bikes are! Ouch!
Old 12-17-20, 07:26 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Geepig
Expensive is of course a relative term, and so everything I take off a bike is evaluated for future use
I am the same.. I patch tubes, keep old spokes bundled together have a pile of worn tires for trainer or emergency use, and stop and evaluate abandoned bikes by the side of the road for usable bits. Nothing that comes off a bike is necessarily going in the bin EXCEPT for rear inner cables. My cost-benefit analysis includes the potential time and hassle of trying to fed a frayed cable through the housing, and the likelihood that it'll seem OK but problems will materialize when trying to set the thing up. I can tolerate the risk in a cable that has been cleanly cut into a shorter cable, but that's my limit.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 12-17-20, 10:09 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
I once paid $30 for a full set of Campagnolo cables. I thought it was too much but the bike it was going on was worth it to me. Best cables I have run into with nearly no perceptible resistance. Would buy them again for the other bike that is all Campy. Wait... all the road bikes are! Ouch!
...you can buy die drawn cables made by Jagwire. They are very smooth, with little friction in a lined housing.