Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Gios "argo"

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-21, 11:14 AM
SquireBlack 

Bikes: '66 Lygie, '02 Rivendell Atlantis, '03 Air Friday, '21 Black Shadow Campeur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 37 Posts
Gios "argo"

Can anyone give me more information about the frame pictured in this flickr album? https://flic.kr/s/aHsmW6Tmfd

It's a Gios, Dark Blue, "argo" on the NDS fork blade.
Seat tube 54.5cm C-t-T; Top Tube 53cm C-t-C
Updated with modern Campagnolo Chorus Components
Mismatched wheels; front is (I think) a Wobler Super Champion.
Stamped "55" under the bottom bracket.
I would love to know its age, and a guess as to the value.
Old 07-08-21, 01:31 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 2,177 Posts
-----

frameset appears to be earlier than fittings by several years

these were frequently sold as framesets

importer for U.S. market at this time was Mr. Ugo Quazzo, owner of FAMA Sales Co. of New York City

FAMA sales was actually an importer/distributor of espresso coffee equipment - GIOS was the company's sole foray into the world of cycles

relationship issues from a personal friendship between the owners of the two companies

-----
Old 07-08-21, 02:46 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
A full drive side pic would be nice. The 55 on the BB is the frame size looks to be a early 80's frame set based on the flat crown forks and plain lugs.
Old 07-08-21, 08:19 PM
SquireBlack 

Bikes: '66 Lygie, '02 Rivendell Atlantis, '03 Air Friday, '21 Black Shadow Campeur

Ah, yes, I should have realized that the "55" was the frame size. My measurement of 54.5cm was actually first taken in inches and then converted, so there is some rounding in there.

Fascinating tidbit about the importer!

All the photos that I took are in the Flickr album; I can get better photos form the owner (a cousin), but not for a few days.
Old 07-08-21, 08:44 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Gios Super Record, built with Columbus SL tubing and probably from around '79 -'80 based on the position of the gear cable guides on top of the shell and the fact the DS rear DO is drilled for a portacetena. Looks nice, although many of the parts are newer than the frame by 15 years or more.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 07-09-21, 07:35 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
OP,
GIOS bikes ride very nice, as mentioned some came frame only so its hard to tell what it may have been built with. I wouldn't worry about the newer group on it. Is the bike yours or are you going to purchase it?
I don't believe ARGO is a GIOS label, perhaps the original owners name? I would say around if no dents or major paint damage 300 to 600 as it sits, it will need a lot of work to get it back to it's former glory.
BTW, since a mismatch of wheels check for any frame damage.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 07-12-21, 09:28 PM
SquireBlack 

Porta Catena

Thank you, Drillium Dude ! I had completely missed the drilling for the Porta Catena.

As for the other questions: I do not own this frame. It belongs to a cousin, who inherited it from her late husband, Peter "Rabbit" Weil. She is starting to go through the painful process of clearing out the barn, and asked me what it might be worth, along with three other frames. This is clearly the nicest and in the best condition. Fortunately, it's about 2cm too tall for me, or else I might be tempted ;-)

Some of the "original" components were also in the barn, notably the pedals: