Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1988 Schwinn Circuit

Old 07-26-21, 05:37 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood; Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
1988 Schwinn Circuit

Hi Everyone,

Is this Schwinn Circuit a good price or no dice at $400 in NYC? If it's size 54cm as listed, then it's the right size.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6642495236654/
(see below pics)
It looks like it's in great shape. My concerns are:
- are the Shimano (non-OEM) wheels any good?
- the stem doesn't appear to be OEM. Seller says it's Cinelli...what do you think?
- I was looking at a Centurion Dave Scott Ironman at the beginning of the season for half the price (sadly, I got to it to late). Does this make sense at 2x the price?
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Old 07-26-21, 06:08 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,248 Times in 1,308 Posts
The stem is clearly Modolo and not Cinelli. Some red flags include the bars being poorly wrapped and them not bothering to put the chain back on the ring for the photo shoot. These of course would be more forgivable if they didn't want $400 for it.
Old 07-26-21, 06:10 PM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts
Sante and the Circuit frame are pretty sweet though...the Sante white looks to be in good shape.
Old 07-26-21, 06:14 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by Shrevvy
Sante and the Circuit frame are pretty sweet though...the Sante white looks to be in good shape.
Agree with both you and CLang. According to the catalog, it was 21lbs new.
https://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/1988...LL/1988_16.jpg
Not sure what effect (positive or negative) the new stem and wheels have on that. Waiting for the seller to call me. Going to ask what model the rims are…and why the stem change.

$400? After the pandemic winds down, and new inventory bounces back, would this sell for much less?
Old 07-26-21, 06:58 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
My friend rode a 1987 and loved it. He bought it new for about a thousand dollars , so these are expensive . They have commanded high prices for quite a while partially due to the reputation for being such good bikes. Columbus tubing built , lightweight and nimble, and nice components. If the bike checks out ok it may be a fair deal. Be sure to check for abuse or damage as it is a light tube set. My buddy’s bike was in an accident where the front wheel “taco-Ed” . He thought it was ok after a new front wheel and about two years later the head tube formed a fatal crack and had to be scrapped even after he sent the frame to a frame builder for repair.
Old 07-26-21, 07:15 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
My friend rode a 1987 and loved it. He bought it new for about a thousand dollars , so these are expensive . They have commanded high prices for quite a while partially due to the reputation for being such good bikes. Columbus tubing built , lightweight and nimble, and nice components. If the bike checks out ok it may be a fair deal. Be sure to check for abuse or damage as it is a light tube set. My buddy’s bike was in an accident where the front wheel “taco-Ed” . He thought it was ok after a new front wheel and about two years later the head tube formed a fatal crack and had to be scrapped even after he sent the frame to a frame builder for repair.
Thanks, Kabuki. I appreciate the advice. At this price there shouldn’t be any buyer’s remorse. I need to bring a checklist (wish I could scope the tubes - haha).

I tested out a Team Miyata last week. Had it not been for a very slightly dinged head tube, I may have accepted the poor appearance (paint, decals, etc). Anyway, the bike rode great and the components seemed in good shape. Surprisingly, the seller actually said “If you want yo bring it to your bike mechanic to have it checked out, I’d be fine with that”.
That actually seems like a good idea.
Old 07-26-21, 07:23 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
That’s a great bike in even greater shape. Not a fan of the wheels though. Maybe a chance the owner still has the original wheels, if only for the Sante hubs.

$400 is high but not out the realm of reality. There’s a good chance you’ll never see one in this size in this condition again.
Old 07-26-21, 07:48 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I have one of these bikes in mint condition

All original!!

VERY SMOOTH and stable !!

I do not need any more bikes.....but if this was closer...I would buy it immediately!!🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 07-26-21, 08:25 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by plonz
That’s a great bike in even greater shape. Not a fan of the wheels though. Maybe a chance the owner still has the original wheels, if only for the Sante hubs.

$400 is high but not out the realm of reality. There’s a good chance you’ll never see one in this size in this condition again.
Ugh. I’m sure. And the seller who said he’d call at 8, 2 hrs ago…hasn’t called. Whatever.
hahah at this rate I’ll go buy a mountain bike and ride it with my buddy. He’s been asking me to go with him for awhile. I can restart the road bike search again at the end of the season.
Old 07-26-21, 09:10 PM
Mdl
Montedino

How would the circuit compare to the later (‘92?) Paramount PDG 5?

There is one on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4168051590881/

I’m not sure why but I can’t get the pics to load.
Edit: I just looked up the specs. The PDG weighed a pound more (22lbs). Besides, I like the chromed forks on the Circuit…not sure about the splatter job on the PDG. Going to read up on Sante next.

Last edited by Mdl; 07-26-21 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-26-21, 09:48 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
I picked up a 1989 Circuit with a lot more of the original parts back in March, and I paid $450. It had the original Rolls saddle, barely used, plus the original wheels (Sante hubs, Wolber Profil rims), and the original 90mm Cinelli stem and 40cm Giro d'Italia bars. This one's got replacement wheels, stem and bars, and saddle.

Sante is a nice groupset, just below Dura Ace at the time. A lot of nice touches! Really pretty, if you like the aesthetic, which I do. Works really well, too! I just took my Circuit for my Sunday ride, 65 miles and it just ate it up. Even though I'm 200# and the tubeset is Columbus SL, it doesn't feel flexy, but combining that frame with Vittoria Corsas in 25mm, the ride is great.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-27-21, 04:26 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 301 Posts
Originally Posted by Mdl
How would the circuit compare to the later (‘92?) Paramount PDG 5?

There is one on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4168051590881/

I’m not sure why but I can’t get the pics to load.
Edit: I just looked up the specs. The PDG weighed a pound more (22lbs). Besides, I like the chromed forks on the Circuit…not sure about the splatter job on the PDG. Going to read up on Sante next.
I own a Circuit but have not owned a 90s Paramount. I personally think a more novice rider like myself creates more ride quality differences from tire selection than what we notice from the nuances of the bike itself. At least when it comes to bikes at the level of these two anyway. I also think the $250 asking price for the Paramount makes it very attractive if you can get your head wrapped around the splatter paint. I kind of like it and would search out the most vibrant purple bar tape and cabling!
Old 07-27-21, 05:42 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by plonz
I own a Circuit but have not owned a 90s Paramount. I personally think a more novice rider like myself creates more ride quality differences from tire selection than what we notice from the nuances of the bike itself. At least when it comes to bikes at the level of these two anyway. I also think the $250 asking price for the Paramount makes it very attractive if you can get your head wrapped around the splatter paint. I kind of like it and would search out the most vibrant purple bar tape and cabling!
I think that’s a great idea. You’re right - the black saddle, hoods and tires just don’t go with the purple splatter. They look too serious.

Would anyone know whether I could convert it to shifters on the brake levers?
Old 07-27-21, 08:13 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
Originally Posted by Mdl
Thanks, Kabuki. I appreciate the advice. At this price there shouldn’t be any buyer’s remorse. I need to bring a checklist (wish I could scope the tubes - haha).

I tested out a Team Miyata last week. Had it not been for a very slightly dinged head tube, I may have accepted the poor appearance (paint, decals, etc). Anyway, the bike rode great and the components seemed in good shape. Surprisingly, the seller actually said “If you want yo bring it to your bike mechanic to have it checked out, I’d be fine with that”.
That actually seems like a good idea.
Good advice from the seller, and I'm just a little bias toward the Miyata over the Schwinn.
Old 07-27-21, 11:06 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by genejockey
I picked up a 1989 Circuit with a lot more of the original parts back in March, and I paid $450. It had the original Rolls saddle, barely used, plus the original wheels (Sante hubs, Wolber Profil rims), and the original 90mm Cinelli stem and 40cm Giro d'Italia bars. This one's got replacement wheels, stem and bars, and saddle.

Sante is a nice groupset, just below Dura Ace at the time. A lot of nice touches! Really pretty, if you like the aesthetic, which I do. Works really well, too! I just took my Circuit for my Sunday ride, 65 miles and it just ate it up. Even though I'm 200# and the tubeset is Columbus SL, it doesn't feel flexy, but combining that frame with Vittoria Corsas in 25mm, the ride is great.
Thanks, Gene. Good to know.
Old 07-27-21, 12:31 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Yeah, not hard to convert a Series 5 Paramount to brifters, when I bought mine it had the Shimano 7 speed Ultegra ones. Would have kept it that way, except one of the cables broke so went back to down tube shifters.
Tim

With brifters

Without
Old 07-27-21, 02:13 PM
bikemike73 

Go buy the Paramount NOW !!!!!!

I have a 1991 in RWB. GREAT BIKE !!!!!!!!!!

You will not be sorry !!

Like I said...I do not need anymore bikes.....but I would buy at least ONE of these bikes !!!!

Lets be honest........I would buy them BOTH !!!!!!

Wish it was closer to Boston !!!!
Old 07-27-21, 03:30 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by bikemike73
Go buy the Paramount NOW !!!!!!

I have a 1991 in RWB. GREAT BIKE !!!!!!!!!!

You will not be sorry !!

Like I said...I do not need anymore bikes.....but I would buy at least ONE of these bikes !!!!

Lets be honest........I would buy them BOTH !!!!!!

Wish it was closer to Boston !!!!
HAHAHA!! I love this. So the Circuit seller apologized - said he had to work late, will call back. Ok I’m calling the Paramount seller now. I’m looking at Tim’s bike (below) with the red bar tape - I like it!
Old 07-27-21, 03:38 PM
bikemike73 

That's great

Don't delay......get it TODAY!!!@🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲😁😁😁😁😁😁🚴‍♀️🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲🚲
Old 07-28-21, 08:37 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
If they're still available, I would take both of them. Use all the best parts on the frame that I like best and sell the other one.
Ha! I suppose I could. Which bike and components would you keep?

Anyway, it’s all theoretical for now. You’d think people who want to sell their bikes would call you back. Not so much.
Old 07-28-21, 09:09 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,935 Times in 1,763 Posts
Well I can chime in since I've had a 87 Circuit, a 87 Paramount and one of those PDG Paramounts. I like the 87 Waterford the least of the bunch. The Circuit was a great ride and for some reason for about a two year period all the Strava KOM's I scored for sprints came on that bike. The fit had it set up the same as a bunch of other steel bikes I have but for some reason I just sprinted better on the Circuit. Mine was upgraded with Campagnolo Athena 11 speed though with Zonda wheels. I'd still have except for downsizing collections and finally relenting to let it go to the mechanic who had actually done the upgrade on it for me.

I still have that PDG Paramount and love it too. It doesn't seem to sprint as well and does not ride as nicely as the Circuit. But it climbs great and really is a fast bike for miles upon miles. Just seems to lack some of the comfort the Circuit gave me.

If that Circuit checks out mechanically and all I'd have no problem with the $400 price.

Bought as a frameset and then built with new Athena 11 Speed. Columbus SL tubing.

This one is a great ride also. These are Tange Prestige tubing
Old 06-20-22, 08:50 PM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
I live in the Bay Area and had my Curcuit stolen from the BART train. The thief took the bike while I was asleep somewhere around Oakland a couple of years ago. I loved that ride and can only assume it was targeted. A highly desirable bike, sante so cool, dont think another will come my way....
Old 06-20-22, 09:00 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4223 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
OP, if you're still around, what did you end up going with?