Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

What BB for 42 mm chain line with Sugino RD cranks?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-07, 09:32 PM
sniks
JuNKie! bike junkie!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

can some on help a brother out?
what size bb does a stock bianchi pista run?
i think it the same cranks, right?

thanks
Old 08-08-07, 09:34 PM
barba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The matching BB made by Sugino is 103mm
Old 08-08-07, 10:40 PM
Landgolier
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Only the '05 Pista had RD's, and they were the old style RD's and had the chainring on the inside from the factory. I don't know what size the BB actually was on those, if the 103 works the ring will need to be on the outside.
Old 08-09-07, 06:10 AM
sniks
JuNKie! bike junkie!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks 103 it is.
Old 08-09-07, 07:45 AM
orbThorn

Bikes: 05 Bianchi Pista, 07 Niner Air 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Landgolier
Only the '05 Pista had RD's, and they were the old style RD's and had the chainring on the inside from the factory. I don't know what size the BB actually was on those, if the 103 works the ring will need to be on the outside.
That is not true. My 05 pista definitely has RDs but the chainring is NOT on the inside. I haven't checked the bb on this but I did switch cranks to shimano 600s (with no chainline issue) if that helps at all.

The sugino 103 bb did work on my conversion with RDs but the chainring is on the INSIDE.
Old 08-09-07, 09:25 AM
Landgolier
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some '05 pistas definitely came with it on the inside. Hell, the one on the web site had it that way. I think maybe they used different BB's at different points or something and moved the chainring accordingly.

I've been tracking this issue with the RD's for a while, the next to last piece of the puzzle is that the current production, which are stamped RD2, are speced to have a 45mm chainline on the Sugino 103 bottom bracket. So your choices are to deal with that or get a 107 bottom bracket and move the chainring to the inside. The final piece, which I suspect but have not yet confirmed, is that the RD-5000, which are stamped D-5, sit at more like 42 on the stock BB. The 103 bottom brackets are JIS taper, maybe a hair smaller than Shimano.
Old 08-09-07, 09:36 AM
Nims
Square-o-dynamic

Bikes: something fixed, something broken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Landgolier
I've been tracking this issue with the RD's for a while, the next to last piece of the puzzle is that the current production, which are stamped RD2,
The RD's I just got from ben's cycle are stamped RD3 and have the new Sugino logo on the arm, not the text "sugino" like the RD2's. I'm using the 103 sugino BB, ring on the outside, and the chainline is dead on!
Old 11-15-07, 03:12 PM
guitarded616

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nims
The RD's I just got from ben's cycle are stamped RD3 and have the new Sugino logo on the arm, not the text "sugino" like the RD2's. I'm using the 103 sugino BB, ring on the outside, and the chainline is dead on!
the puzzle continues...i called ben's cycle and they verified that the sugino rd and sugino messenger that they carry is a 45mm chainline. They even put it up on their website after i called asking about it.

https://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...roducts_id=528
https://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...roducts_id=681
Old 11-15-07, 03:19 PM
Landgolier
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nims
Woah, just saw this old post. How did you measure the chainline?
Old 11-15-07, 05:31 PM
anomaly

Bikes: 1972 Paramount Track, 1972 Paramount P13 Road, 1972 Paramount Tandem, 1986 Paramount Road, Merckx MXL, Gunnar Cross Hairs, Samson Illusion NJS, KHS Aero Track, Titus Racer X 29er, Tom Palermo Custom Touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My RDs w/ 103 give ~ a 45mm chainline.
Old 11-16-07, 03:50 AM
Ken Cox
King of the Hipsters

Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My 2005 Pista came with the chain ring on the outside position of the RD cranks, and had a poor chain line.

I moved the chain ring to the inner postion, and it worked great from then on.

I think a 103mm crank bearing spindle with the chain ring on the inner position of the RD crank gives an almost perfect 42mm chain line; or, as perfect as it gets.
Old 05-21-20, 09:21 AM
somepetalhead

Bikes: CROSS CHECK SZ 52 / MEDICI GT

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
im going through this right now with my Bianchi San Jose... but dont really want to put orgin8 or sugino rd's on adn its not i dont mind paying for the dura or sugino 75s its finding a pair thats for actual decent or good deal.

anybody know if you can toss some Paul Cranks or Phils on there? Or perhaps old Campy records/super recs?
Old 05-21-20, 10:35 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Your frame has a standard 68mm English-threaded BB shell. You can use any crankset you want as long as you use the correct bottom bracket for the crankset.
Likes For Scrodzilla:
Old 05-22-20, 07:52 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by somepetalhead
im going through this right now with my Bianchi San Jose... but dont really want to put orgin8 or sugino rd's on adn its not i dont mind paying for the dura or sugino 75s its finding a pair thats for actual decent or good deal.

anybody know if you can toss some Paul Cranks or Phils on there? Or perhaps old Campy records/super recs?
Ha! I also just got a San Jose this week. A previous owner squeezed a 120mm OLD hub in there, so I got a couple of spacers to make the hub 130mm. Where I put the spacers is open for debate, because I want to make sure that the chain line is correct. If I put both the spacers on the left, I need to re-dish the wheel (no big deal, I have the ability to do this) and I lose the ability to use the hub as a flip-flop. I don’t plan to run fixed, so that would be a problem for a future me. If I put a spacer on each side of the hub, then I move the freewheel further inboard, though theoretically that is where the hub is now.

The chain ring is currently inside the spider, which the previous owner probably did to “fix” the chain line when they used a narrow hub.

Last edited by aggiegrads; 05-22-20 at 07:58 AM.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 05-22-20, 08:22 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

You seem to be confused. Rear chainline is measured from the center of the hub, not from the dropout.

Adding a spacer to each side doesn't change the distance between the freewheel and center of the hub, thus having no effect on chainline.
Old 05-22-20, 01:56 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Yeah, fair point. I would actually go further and say that it is measured from the center of the frame, as there is no guarantee that the hub is centered in the frame.

Especially if someone like me has respaced the hub or if someone has cold-set the frame.

Last edited by aggiegrads; 05-22-20 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-23-20, 09:17 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Sure, but you've already mentioned that you have a 120mm track hub. Why would you ever want or need to space it so it's off-center?

Stop over-thinking this and just do it correctly by adding a 5mm spacer to each side.
Old 05-24-20, 01:59 AM
somepetalhead

Bikes: CROSS CHECK SZ 52 / MEDICI GT

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
so basically if you dont have the proper spaced rear (or front) hub spacing you are going to have to add spacers correct?

I would love to keep the San Jose as true as possible and not bootleg fix it when i have the ability to have it working right as intended. just finding a crank set up has proven difficult with frame rub and striking.

anybody have exp with the san jose and the cranks?