Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trailers

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Trailers

Old 06-06-18, 08:59 PM
bikebasket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trailers

Girlfriend has her bike, now just need to find myself one and get a trailer and it's away we go for touring from Cambodia to (hopefully can cross into) India.

So i've been doing some web researching on the web on trailers. This review made me laugh - A nearly $1000 top end trailer and the wheel bearings needed changing after only 2500 kms?!!

'' The sealed bearings in the trailer’s hub lasted just 2,500km. Granted I spent a lot of time in wet conditions, I was still expecting 10,000km+ before needing to tap the bearings out and press some new ones in. That’s certainly been my experience with using the same Novatec hub on a road bike wheel....

The main arm connecting the seatpost mount with the rest of the frame wasn’t quite straight on my trailer. Not by much, but it was noticeable to the eye. This didn’t seem to affect the ride at all but was a quirk of the product.

The up-down pivot on the seatpost mount got creaky the day after riding in the rain. I assume this is due to debris making its way into small gaps between the washers and the trailer frame. I didn’t find a solution to this issue, but it generally disappeared after a few hours of riding in dry conditions. ''
https://www.cyclingabout.com/aevon-k...cycle-trailer/

I really like the simplicity and weight of the Y trailer below, but $400 ?? But what are you paying for exactly? Is it like space age aluminium or something? A Cambodian could probably knock me up one of those in an afternoon. Great idea though, as i think alot of the strength is in the plywood as far as pulling the trailer go's.

How do you feel about touring with 2 wheel trailers? Too much rolling resistance? You can pick the Y trailer up with your little finger though.
Old 06-07-18, 01:31 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I have gone touring with a BOB Yak (it was pulled by a mountain bike that could not take panniers) and more recently my trailer of choice is am Extrawheel Voyager which is only used when I need the extra capacity for carrying water (I prefer touring in more remote areas of Australia). I am therefore curious as to why you wish to tour in Cambodia with a trailer. That reasoning would then drive my choice of no trailer, two wheels or single wheel.
Old 06-07-18, 01:42 AM
bikebasket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aushiker
I have gone touring with a BOB Yak (it was pulled by a mountain bike that could not take panniers) and more recently my trailer of choice is am Extrawheel Voyager which is only used when I need the extra capacity for carrying water (I prefer touring in more remote areas of Australia). I am therefore curious as to why you wish to tour in Cambodia with a trailer. That reasoning would then drive my choice of no trailer, two wheels or single wheel.
Well, i guess a few reasons really. My girlfriend has limited experience on bikes, let alone touring, so until she gets more comfortable on her bike i think it's better for her to tour with an unladen bike or maybe just a little. She also has alot of gear that i thought we could drop off on the way, but that's maybe 1200 kms away. So a trailer or possibly 8 panniers?

Also i figured, given that i'm hardly seing any bikes of my size here for touring and nothing in the way of out and out touring bikes, then taking the load off the bike and onto a trailer might be better.

You much prefer panniers over trailers then?

Cheers
Old 06-07-18, 03:31 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
**never mind**

Last edited by saddlesores; 06-07-18 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-07-18, 10:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Building Bamboo Bicycle Trailers |

Old 06-08-18, 01:28 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebasket
Well, i guess a few reasons really. My girlfriend has limited experience on bikes, let alone touring, so until she gets more comfortable on her bike i think it's better for her to tour with an unladen bike or maybe just a little. She also has alot of gear that i thought we could drop off on the way, but that's maybe 1200 kms away. So a trailer or possibly 8 panniers?

Also i figured, given that i'm hardly seing any bikes of my size here for touring and nothing in the way of out and out touring bikes, then taking the load off the bike and onto a trailer might be better.

You much prefer panniers over trailers then?

Cheers
Is shipping the stuff that needs to be dropped off an option? Hauling it 1200km does not sound like much fun.

Panniers versus trailers: I don't mind pulling my Extrawheel but it is another thing to go wrong/to have to deal with/maybe fly with or get on a bus. So unless I need it I prefer to stick to either panniers or bikepacking bags. That said I have pulled the Extrawheel for 3,000 odd kilometres on one tour. Forget it was there within minutes each morning.

This is where life is easier without the trailer ... had to man up to a rack but