Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'70s Falcon -- All cleaned up and roadsterized

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-10-20, 06:10 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts

Still not sold on the roadster setup, might try a moustache next.

For my Falcon find, I gave it a bath and repacked the headset. The Sugino BB came out easily, but I replaced it with a NOS loose-ball Deore I've been sitting on. The longer spindle allowed me to put on the easiest and most aesthetically pleasing way to get 46/30 chainrings, a Deore LX triple with the outer ring in the middle. This example is fairly corroded so only a real bike geek should spot it being obviously wrong.

As far as obviously wrong, the 700 wheelset is a bit overkill. I don't have any serviceable 27" tires, so I threw these on for maximum red. Mavic 500 rear hub laced to a red anodized MA3 and Tiagra to silver CXP something. I swapped over the tiny 21t 5spd block to the new wheelset, but after a short ride I know I'll have to swap it. Feels like the PO only rode in the second cog all the time. Plus I need all low end I can get. The 700 conversion required swapping the rear Weinmann 650 for a 710 I had in my bins. Isn't it nice to have a deep parts stash?

As the bike came with a Cinelli bar/stem, I thought this GB stem would be a perfect replacement. A Wald 8095 bar and early 80s Dia Compe mtb levers finish the cockpit.

I still just love the patina on the frame. When the light hits it right, it just gets this hazy glow where the red lacquer has been polished off and the silver shows underneath. Just really speaks to me how the PO must have wiped down those tubes regularly to have achieved that.

Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 10-10-20, 06:19 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
She's an aged beauty!
Old 10-10-20, 06:22 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts
Way to keep another bike on the road. How's it ride for you?
Old 10-10-20, 07:24 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Looks good! If you're thinking of trying other bars my favorite upright bars are always porteur bars. I think they are hard to beat aesthetically.
Old 10-10-20, 07:53 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

Thanks so much for this update; very nice work!

What date did you get from the Tipos?

Are you able to read any marking on the pedals?

Looking good.

-----
Old 10-10-20, 09:05 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Haven't gotten around to checking the hubs. The only thing I can see through the corrosion on the pedals is possibly "sprint".
Old 11-04-20, 01:33 AM
satkin55
Falcon fan

Bikes: Falcon Black Diamond

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Looking good. The paint on my Black Diamond has faded in the same way (only much worse).