Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Car coming too close for comfort

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-21-20, 09:14 AM
isaac.waters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cars coming too close for comfort. A problem or not?
Old 10-21-20, 09:46 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
It happens, so learn to deal with it. In the city its' unavoidable, and takes nerves of steel. I avoid city riding for the most part. In the countryside, get a good mirror, check trajectory of every vehicle coming up behind you with one quick glance at the critical distance (maybe 50'), and bail onto shoulder or even into ditch if there is one, if you think they're going to hit you. If it just looks like a close pass, learn to hold firm on your line and avoid panic reaction. Swerving either way is potentially dangerous. Holding your line is a skill you will develop, and it serves you well when startled by sudden loud noise like gunshot or whatnot. Holding your line isn't so easy if a dog charges you from the side and isn't slowing down as it's about to hit your front wheel. Still working on that one....
Likes For Chuckles1:
Old 10-21-20, 09:55 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 935 Posts
OP: Of course. Why do you ask? What is your story?
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 10-21-20, 09:59 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Practice riding with trucks and soon cars won't bother you,

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 10-21-20 at 10:11 AM.
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 10-21-20, 10:01 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by isaac.waters
Only you know if it's a problem.

I've had my arm hit twice by the right hand mirror... and i'm still riding.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-21-20, 10:19 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Ride in a straight line in a place where the cars can actually see you, don’t weave in and out of parked cars. There is a bit of an art to it. Don’t ride so far to the right that you’re in gutter because in my experience this only encourages close passes because many drivers don’t really know where their car is in the lane. Don’t ride so far into the lane you block the flow of traffic, probably this is not legal and some random driver with anger management issues will pass you close to ‘teach you a lesson’ and maybe throw something out the window. I find an little bit to the left or right of the white line, depending on the road width, works best.

There are some exceptions, like narrow residential streets with parking on both sides, I usually ride right in the middle of the road and don’t allow passing. Some roads have very generous shoulders where the county left a strip they didn’t chipseal, not a bike lane but obviously left that way for cyclists, and in this case I’ll ride here far to the right out of the flow of traffic.

Like driving a car, there will always be that clueless idiot that does something unsafe. I think when we’re in our cars we have an illusion of safety and invulnerablity created by our car culture. As a cyclist or pedestrian you come face to face with the actual reality. Don’t take it personally, just keep riding.
Old 10-21-20, 10:29 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
Oddly enough, I found that riding in a group taught me to hold a line really well, so I can feel pretty secure really close to the edge of the road, so I'm as far out of the danger zone as possible. I also scan each parked car I'm about to pass for occupants, and give them a wide berth.

Around here, there are SO MANY cyclists that drivers don't tend to act like jerks and try to get too close. Where I grew up, in rural Pennsylvania, it's a different story. There are roads back there that have the same amount of traffic and the same width of shoulder as the roads I feel comfortable riding here, that I would be really spooked trying to ride back there.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-21-20, 10:31 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Old 10-21-20, 10:48 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
If you look at all the close pass videos on Upride (cycliq's web site), then it's definitely an issue. Good reason to always record.

Whether or not it's a problem for you, only you can decide. I'd say on a typical ride, I get a too close pass about once every 5-10 miles that I'm sharing roads with cars (lucky for me a good portion of my riding is on MUPs). About 1 in 20 or so of those really are scary close, like either intentional, or they really don't see me.
Old 10-21-20, 10:51 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
I'll second the mirror.

One effective strategy that is at times useful is to minimize contact with packs of motor vehicles. For example, if I'm stopped at a light (I take the lane) and I see a lot of vehicles behind me, I'll pull to the side after crossing and wait for the pack to pass before proceeding.

Taking the lane when necessary and reasonable will also reduce close passes.

Last edited by flangehead; 10-23-20 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Likes For flangehead:
Old 10-21-20, 11:07 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts

It isn't for me. If it was I'd look to change my behavior.
Old 10-21-20, 11:17 AM
Gary in NJ

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Yes on the mirror. I ride on rural county and back roads, and he's my habit of/for safety.

As a car approaches towards me (on the other side of the road), I always check my mirror. This way I can see if there is a car behind me and if its slowing down behind me or going to try to make the squeeze pass. If you are going to be in danger of a tight pass, it will be when there are cars in opposing directions and the guy behind you cant be bothered to slow down, let alone actually hit the brakes.
Likes For Gary in NJ:
Old 10-21-20, 11:21 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Generally, yes ... but sometimes not.

You may be interested in a couple threads I've started over the years:

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...violation.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...ead-again.html
Old 10-21-20, 11:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
4 feet in PA.
Old 10-21-20, 02:06 PM
WarrenC

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I was bike riding in Bruges, while on vacation, and turned wrong down a one-way narrow street. Bus was coming up, so I moved over towards the curb. My pedal was brushing the sidewalk and I could lick the bus. Talk about nervey.
Old 10-21-20, 02:31 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I've seen some people get freaked out every time a car or truck passes them. Some folks aren't used to riding with other traffic, and I can sympathize. I recommend a course of acclimatization for those people.

First, get used to riding on quiet suburban streets (or deserted rural roads) when there's almost no other traffic -- think Sunday morning at 7-8:00. After you're used to that, graduate to lightly used streets or roads -- perhaps a car every minute or so. Learn to hold your line (meaning you can't dodge between parked cars!), and they'll have to go around you. Next, look for a four lane street you can ride at a time when two lanes would carry all the traffic. (In these Covid times, that may be near schools or in small business districts about 9:00 weekdays.) Again, ride that kind of street until you're comfortable with it. Next, try riding the same streets when school's out, or around lunch time. You may start to get some honks or yelling from people who really don't know how to drive, or that you're legally allowed to be there; as long as you're riding straight, holding your line, you should be OK -- they don't really want to have to stop for 30-45 minutes to deal with a cop. Deal with it. Once you're comfortable with that, you can handle riding almost any road, any time. (An exception might be a road you really don't want to be on, a highly trafficed, high speed road with no shoulders, for instance. Just stay off those as much as possible.)
Old 10-21-20, 02:32 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by indyfabz
4 feet in PA.
Old 10-21-20, 04:55 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
cars are supposed to give you 4ft in NC, and they’re allowed to cross the double yellow if it’s safe to do so. Most cars where I ride give me plenty of space - maybe once or twice on any given ride will some dipsh1t cut close. Could be better, could be worse 🤔
Old 10-21-20, 05:03 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
4 feet in PA.
6 feet everywhere.
Old 10-21-20, 05:29 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Practice riding with trucks and soon cars won't bother you,
No joke. This is good advice. On busy streets, I try to follow buses instead of passing them. A lot of cars change lanes for buses and the trucks. If they want to turn right, cars will more likely to patiently follow behind instead of try to right hook you.

The only drawback is the diesel exhaust.
Old 10-21-20, 05:33 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Regardless if you're walking, cycling or driving, bad drivers will be on the road. Close passes happen to pedestrians and drivers too. Deal with them because police enforcement is never everywhere.

What you can do to deter close passes is carry things on your bike that protrude. People have carried pool noodles. Looks funny and they get mocked by people on this website but they'll give you the results you need.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 10-21-20, 05:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Had some nice county highways with light traffic about 15 years ago. Now there is more building out in the sticks, much more traffic and many more double dump/gravel trucks, cement trucks and general big ones. They typically go 55/60MPH which gets a bit unnerving when there isn’t more than a 3’ shoulder and they can’t, or won’t, move over. This is especially true when hemmed in by a guard rail and there is no where to go. An occasional dump truck is fine but one every 3-4 minutes on a 30 minute stretch gets old. I know, ride faster!

About two years ago my left ear was almost brushed by a large box truck’s mirror on the same highway. I now avoid it as much as possible except for short stretches where I can’t. It’s a shame because it’s nearly flat and straight and a real time saver and all the alternate routes take me way out of my way.

Used to ride downtown Seattle at rush hour. It was always exhilarating trying to keep up with traffic on multi lane streets while not getting crushed. Really improved my sprinting.

Old 10-21-20, 06:04 PM
xseal

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
switch to gravel?
Likes For xseal:
Old 10-21-20, 08:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
6 feet everywhere.
I’m talking about the legal requirement in the state. If you need 6’ you need to HTFU.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-21-20, 08:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Originally Posted by xseal
switch to gravel?
Actually have a full on Trek mtn bike I use regularly for single track. I enjoy both disciplines. Have too many bikes anyway to add another.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.