Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Handlebar bag scam

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Handlebar bag scam

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-21, 05:33 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
I just received notification of shipment from Route Works for my bag, which is some relief from the scam and doom talk.
Old 03-06-21, 06:45 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Maybe they got behind on the wide trend for a few years, but Mavic spent many, more years pioneering all sorts ofwheel tech and never, in my assessment, made bad wheels, so their marketplace preeminence is well earned by the way I call things.
LOL. Remember the R-SYS wheels that were so bad even the editor of Velonews broke the silence about them self destructing during use? And then there were the Mavic K wheels; whose name no one could pronounce, were not only heavier than their competitors, the least aerodynamic prebuilts on the market, and were impossible to source laughably expensive parts for? Or the Open Pro that loved to crack at the eyelets?

Mavic has been stagnant for 20 years easily, and screwed up that which wasn't.
Old 03-06-21, 08:20 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
If only they used their genius for niceness instead of evil.
(that's an old get smart line).

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-06-21, 08:25 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Yeah but things should cost the same as they did in 1964.
Well, I'm younger than that, so I'm okay with 1998 pricing, BUT NO MORE THAN THAT!
Old 03-06-21, 09:17 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
LOL. Remember the R-SYS wheels that were so bad even the editor of Velonews broke the silence about them self destructing during use? And then there were the Mavic K wheels; whose name no one could pronounce, were not only heavier than their competitors, the least aerodynamic prebuilts on the market, and were impossible to source laughably expensive parts for? Or the Open Pro that loved to crack at the eyelets?

Mavic has been stagnant for 20 years easily, and screwed up that which wasn't.
Oh, yeah, I guess I’d forgotten the problems with Mavic launching carbon fiber spokes, but they fixed that up and the tech ran in production for 12 years.

I assume by K you mean Ksyrium, and that some were not very or were very expensive or couldn’t be trued with a $5 spoke tool does not make them bad wheels in my book.

Open Pro eyelet cracking I don’t recognize as a particular issue, but lots of rims fatigue, predictably, at the spoke holes.

I don’t know which 20 year span in the 130 year history of the brand you’re referring to, but it has not been in my cycling lifetime, because Mavic has brought a ton of innovative tech to the market in the past 40 years, probably more, and in a broader spectrum of applications, than any other company. That’s not to say they always had the most desiresble or best wheels on the market, only respecting they have had many innovations and many good wheels.