Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Masi Uno Riser vs Fyxation Eastside X

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 05-01-21, 04:48 PM
Moles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Hi folks - I joined here awhile back, but I don't think I've posted, well not too much anyway. I'm looking to get hold of a SS/Fixed bike in the next few weeks.
After spending the winter scoping out vintage road bike frames to build up, I decided that route is just not going to happen. So because spending big bucks also isn't realistic right now, and with the lack of available bikes in stock here... I've narrowed it down to the two bikes in the thread title.
I'm not unrealistic about the quality I'm in for with either of these, but I also have very little information on them other than they are both CroMo frames, probably both in the 24lb range (the Masi might be a lb or two lighter) and that the Fyxation has sealed bearing wheels. The Fyxation is about $150 CAD more.
Has anyone here ridden either of these (or hopefully both?) Test rides are out of the question due to covid lockdowns...
Thx in advance!
Old 05-02-21, 03:33 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
The X looks like a better quality frame. I don't like the cheap looking rear fork ends on the Masi.
Old 05-02-21, 09:38 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
^^^ I agree with Lazyass
Bike shop in Toronto has the Fixation Eastside in stock $750. The blue steel looks nice!

Last edited by Speedway2; 05-02-21 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-02-21, 11:12 AM
Moles

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah that's a good catch - I wouldn't have zoomed in on that spot in the photos, or otherwise noticed...

Geez, now I have to choose between the gold or the blue steel.
Old 05-02-21, 12:43 PM
acoustophile

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 59 Posts
I rode an Eastside for a couple of years couriering. It was a heavy pig, but was bombproof, had good geometry and had clearance for 38c's.
Old 05-02-21, 03:53 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Originally Posted by Moles
Yeah that's a good catch - I wouldn't have zoomed in on that spot in the photos, or otherwise noticed...

Geez, now I have to choose between the gold or the blue steel.
What colour are your shoes......
Old 05-02-21, 05:44 PM
Moles

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
What colour are your shoes......
😁 Usually white Converse ... they go pretty well with everything, making this quite the dilemma...

I called the shop again, that has these in stock - Turns out they are actually open for browsing, so I'll be able to head down tomorrow and get my eyes on them in person at least (test rides are still a no-go).

I'll make sure I wear the shoes.
Old 05-02-21, 06:01 PM
Moles

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by acoustophile
I rode an Eastside for a couple of years couriering. It was a heavy pig, but was bombproof, had good geometry and had clearance for 38c's.
Glad you piped up here, as I caught your earlier posts including that shot. From what you remember, would you say the frame itself was heavy? or would some lighter wheels and cranks down the road make a difference?
Old 05-02-21, 06:44 PM
acoustophile

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 59 Posts
Glad you piped up here, as I caught your earlier posts including that shot. From what you remember, would you say the frame itself was heavy? or would some lighter wheels and cranks down the road make a difference?
The frame is heavy because it's straight gauge tubing and not butted. It was plenty stiff and responsive, and I bought it as a beater bike that I could thrash around so the weight didn't bother me that much. IIRC with 38c tires, steel handlebars and deep v's, the bike ended up being around 24 or 25 lbs so you could definitely shave a few pounds with lighter parts. Here's a picture of it when I first built it (ignore the cramerotti sticker lol) up with box section rims and aluminium parts and I think it was around 22/23lbs.

Old 05-02-21, 07:24 PM
Moles

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
^^^ Nice.

That's about what I expected then. At my current BMI, I'm not exactly concerned with having a triple-butted gossamer weight bike - I just want to have fun riding something that's not a complete turd.
Old 05-04-21, 10:12 AM
Speedway2

😁 Usually white Converse ... they go pretty well with everything, making this quite the dilemma...

I called the shop again, that has these in stock - Turns out they are actually open for browsing, so I'll be able to head down tomorrow and get my eyes on them in person at least (test rides are still a no-go).

I'll make sure I wear the shoes.
Lol....I was kidding about the colour of your shoes.
Both the blue and gold look really good. It would be a tough decision but seeing both in person would help.
Did you get a chance to check them out?........
Old 05-04-21, 06:44 PM
Moles

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
Lol....I was kidding about the colour of your shoes.
Both the blue and gold look really good. It would be a tough decision but seeing both in person would help.
Did you get a chance to check them out?........
Ha - no worries, I was just keeping the joke rolling 😁

I went down today - the gold didn't really look right (in their lighting, anyway) so I passed on that, but it turns out they had the flat black in a 58cm... so even though the blue steel is pretty nice, I still don't love it with the black components. The all black just felt right.

The Masi actually looked alright in person too, but once I got seated into the Eastside it was a done deal.

The ride home was a blast! I made the right choice here I think.

Thanks for all the replies folks
Old 05-05-21, 06:58 AM
Speedway2

Congrats!
You can never go wrong with a black bike....but I think you're gonna have to get some black shoes to match
Be sure to post some pics......
Old 05-05-21, 07:54 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
...they had the flat black in a 58cm... so even though the blue steel is pretty nice, I still don't love it with the black components. The all black just felt right...
Do you know when your new bike was produced? If I understand right - Fyxation did a 10th anniversary version of that bike in flat black a couple years ago. You gotta give props to them and Masi too that they keep offering those bikes from back when almost every maker was jumping on the sw8 phisksie...err...SS craze. Not too many stuck around.

Enjoy yours...
Old 05-09-21, 01:09 AM
Moles

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
Do you know when your new bike was produced? If I understand right - Fyxation did a 10th anniversary version of that bike in flat black a couple years ago. You gotta give props to them and Masi too that they keep offering those bikes from back when almost every maker was jumping on the sw8 phisksie...err...SS craze. Not too many stuck around.

Enjoy yours...
I'm not 100% on the actual production date, but they're being sold as the 2021 model. The "X" denotes the 10 year anniversary like you say - maybe they'll keep calling it that until they change the color selection-?

I keep meaning to take photos while I'm out riding, but I've been nowhere but dull places lately :/